• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Stopped by a pawn shop across from the City County Building in downtown Fort Wayne today. I saw a very interesting fixed blade knife for $34.95, but since I did not know anything about it thought I would do my research before :spend:

Searching the internet has proved fruitless. Nothing comes up. So, I am coming to the experts—:ingo:

I did not get a photograph, but it was a fixed blade steel knife similar to a Bowie knife. It was in a black nylon sheath with Browning stitched with gold thread on the front. The handle was a smooth synthetic with a few silver bands at each end. On the blade, just below the cross bar, was stamped "Model 512."

The blade had a great edge on it. The cross piece was a perfect fit for the hand and the blade had a finger groove just below the cross piece so the cutting edge would be facing the base of the thumb (up) when held properly.

This is all I have. Anyone out there have any insight or ideas on what this is? Winner gets a free coney dog at Fort Wayne's Famous Coney Island on the 31st of June. ;)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Sounds a bit high priced when I look and see what other Browning models with that style sheath are selling for on Ebay. Example... BROWNING BURL FINGER GROOVE HUNTING BOWIE KNIFE W/ CASE | eBay

There have been some high end knives in the Browning 500 series but they are normally marked with the makers name or stamp like Fitch or Crowell but these have leather sheaths and don't have synthetic handles. Best I can do...if you can get a pic it might help.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds a bit high priced when I look and see what other Browning models with that style sheath are selling for on Ebay. Example... BROWNING BURL FINGER GROOVE HUNTING BOWIE KNIFE W/ CASE | eBay

There have been some high end knives in the Browning 500 series but they are normally marked with the makers name or stamp like Fitch or Crowell but these have leather sheaths and don't have synthetic handles. Best I can do...if you can get a pic it might help.

I know what I have to offer is pretty much useless info, but I appreciate advice. I think I will just have to drop by that pawn shop again.:):

Thanks.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I know what I have to offer is pretty much useless info, but I appreciate advice. I think I will just have to drop by that pawn shop again.:):

Thanks.

I looked on eBay, sportsmans guide and brownings website yesterday and couldn't find a thing. I have two browning knives in the safe I've never used that look like what you described. I gave around $30 for them from sportsmans guide, I will try to post pics of them tonight.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I looked on eBay, sportsmans guide and brownings website yesterday and couldn't find a thing. I have two browning knives in the safe I've never used that look like what you described. I gave around $30 for them from sportsmans guide, I will try to post pics of them tonight.

Thanks! I guess I will have to go back for a second look at it, and a photo. What impressed me was the excellent edge on it and the finger notch on the back (unsharpened) side of the blade. Rarely see that on survival/fighting knives. They usually have the notch at the bottom of the sharpened side, which I think is asking for self-amputation.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am amazed at how bad my memory was of this knife. No wonder folks could not identify it! Sorry for the poor quality photos, but this was the best I could do with what I had in hand.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Invisible on the bottom picture is the stamp "Model 512." Again, sorry for the poor photo quality.

I am interested in what this cost new. Any ideas?

Thanks.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Well I don't have the 512, I have the 388 and 319. Both are made in china :noway: they seem to be ok quality wise. I gave $30 for mine new, I don't think I would give much more than that. Esee or Becker would be a better choice for just a little more.
    1ebdeb72.jpg

7f7175aa.jpg

091f4cd0.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    From what I can tell from the pictures, this may be a higher quality Browning that was made in either Japan or the USA (possibly even Germany...but highly unlikely). The handle has mosaic pins in it, which would normally indict a better quality knife, although the Chinese are getting good at copying that also. If the blade is marked Japan or USA, I would shell out $35 for it...that would be a steal. If it's China made, then I would stay away from it. :twocents:

Note: your dealing with a pawn shop....make them an offer, I'm betting you can get it for $5 to $10 less than asking price.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    After looking at my boxes I figured out that mine are sportsmans guide exclusives. So the one your looking at could also be an exclusive. :dunno: Sportsmans guide or Browning had anything on mine.

Top Bottom