• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Many years ago,there was a similar "problem" that hit the courts in Oklahoma-----the lady said that "someone"(later found to be an old boyfriend)was shooting at her house-----she provided "evidence" that was found on her property (later found to be bullets her father brought home from WW11)---------she had a kid shoot her house with arrows,removed then replaced with the WW11"bring-back bullets"---------------she won the case against the guy------2 years later the kid spilled the beans--she was fined for "false testifying",but the ban on shooting in that county was never lifted
    Once its "on the books",its hard to remove......

This just blows. But further evidence that for many Progressives, the ends justify the means. With the elaborate plan this lady hatched, she was pretty dedicated to her end game, I'll give her that.

I've been watching this thread with great interest, as something I really want to do when our youngest is out of the house is move to a very rural setting, and setup a small pistol range with some steel targets. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to make friends that are even more rural than I plan to be... I really don't care to deal with neighbors over this sort of thing. I do appreciate that people move out to the country for peace and quiet, I get that. Maybe I'll consider some sort of single-lane range inside a pole barn with a proper backstop and reinforcements to keep any strays from getting away from my property, I dunno.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Would a ricochet take out enough energy for it to travel approximately two miles and only break one of the two window panes? I could be blowing smoke here but given the lack of effort put into the backstop could it be a possibility?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Might just be the picture, but I blew it up and the tip of the bullet is bent. Not a real shocker. But it looks corroded; like it's been exposed for some time. Wouldn't just the friction of going down the barrel somewhat shine up contact surface on the bullet? I've pulled some pretty old bullets and there's always been a pretty distinct change in appearance of the jacket. I'm all for responsible shooting, and I really hope this isn't the result of negligence. But, it just feels there's more to the story..... If this is staged, I hope they get their dues.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Might just be the picture, but I blew it up and the tip of the bullet is bent. Not a real shocker. But it looks corroded; like it's been exposed for some time. Wouldn't just the friction of going down the barrel somewhat shine up contact surface on the bullet? I've pulled some pretty old bullets and there's always been a pretty distinct change in appearance of the jacket. I'm all for responsible shooting, and I really hope this isn't the result of negligence. But, it just feels there's more to the story..... If this is staged, I hope they get their dues.....

I couldn't really see much in the way of corrosion or color difference but that could be my computer screen being a bit different than yours. However, I did see the tip and how it was bent and that's what makes me wonder about a ricochet.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I couldn't really see much in the way of corrosion or color difference but that could be my computer screen being a bit different than yours. However, I did see the tip and how it was bent and that's what makes me wonder about a ricochet.
    To me it looked very corroded... like they pulled-it-out-of-the-dirt-from-a-local-gun-range corroded. I agree, smells like a setup.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    .308 bullet drop at 2 miles is 20,000+ inches, or more than 1/4 mile. Depending on the roof line eaves, I'd say it's probably not possible.

TontoKowalski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is one of those situations where I thought that State Pre-emption comes into effect.

IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures, enactments,
    rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule,
    or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political
    subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision
    acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of
    this chapter;
    is void.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4

Isn't this the part of the Indiana Code that made the Indianapolis City-County council drop their plans to ban firearm discharges in the outer portions of Marion county?

TontoKowalski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Preemption does not apply to discharging a firearm.

The mostly democrat city county council of Indianapolis and their lawyers don't agree with you:
    Marion County's gun rule stands ... for now
    The City-County Council voted Monday to let residents in outlying Marion County continue to discharge weapons recreationally, fearing that banning it would violate state law.
    Corporation Counsel Andy Seiwert said passing a ban could open the city up to lawsuits because a 2011 gun bill passed by the Indiana General Assembly prohibits cities from passing their own, tougher ordinances.
    "The risk of enacting a ban has a great downside," Seiwert said before the meeting.
    But a ban has been on the books in *Indianapolis since at least 1975. It prohibits target practice, hunting and random shooting of guns. Violators are subject to a fine.
    City lawyers discovered that the ordinance was actually "void," or unenforceable, because of the state law. Councilwoman Angela Mansfield pressed ahead anyway with an ordinance that would expand the ban to the outer county. She said those once-rural areas are now developed and populated and it was dangerous to allow guns to be discharged there.
    Councilman Will Gooden said state law allows citizens to sue municipalities that pass their own gun laws.
    "My concern is we are exposing ourselves to extreme consequences, *extreme liability and extreme costs," Gooden said.
    Councilman Ben Hunter called the state law "an affront to home rule" but agreed it was too chancy to challenge it.

This is from April 2014.

Perhaps they are miss-reading the law, but I'm not going to be the person who points that out to them

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Taking a close look at the picture that looks more like a ground ricochet that's been sitting around for a while. The point is bent and the bullet curved slightly and it's pretty dirty looking, even an old bullet will get shined up on the lands during firing but that could be the lighting. That would place the actual shooting much closer to the house assuming a tumbling bullet bounced out of the ground.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    The end is near boys n girls. Better go downtown and declare you range and hope it gets grandfathered in. I'm not even kidding.

TontoKowalski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Perhaps they are, but I don't see discharging a firearm listed anywhere in the statute. https://iga.in.gov/static-documents/8/a/0/b/8a0b81bc/TITLE35_AR47_ch11.1.pdf

It may be what ISN'T listed in the statute that leads to their interpretation. In the first part of Section 2 I initially read that localities couldn't regulate types of firearms, but that's not exactly what the statute says.

Sec.2.Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;

When reading these things sometimes I've found they aren't always as clear as they might seem. One possible interpretation is that political subdivisions may not regulate firearms.(including also the following things...) And any local ordinances pertaining to or affected by matters in section 2 are rendered void by section 3. In this way, it may be possible that you wouldn't even have to list discharging a firearm since it pertains to or is affected by firearms. Now, whether or not this is a valid interpretation is something that might likely require input from actual legal professionals. It's convoluted enough that a lawyer might approve.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    To me it looked very corroded... like they pulled-it-out-of-the-dirt-from-a-local-gun-range corroded. I agree, smells like a setup.

I've recovered many bullets from some sand boxes I shoot into (12" of sand stops a lot). Even bullets that were nice and shiny before being fired will be dull after firing and contacting dirt like that.

I think the point of this is that we all have to be responsible for every round we shoot. When it hits something and starts to ricochet, all bets are off as to where it might end up.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    .308 bullet drop at 2 miles is 20,000+ inches, or more than 1/4 mile. Depending on the roof line eaves, I'd say it's probably not possible.

I also don't believe it is possible.
    And I think it is stunningly irresponsible for a LEO to attribute it to a shooter 2 miles away.

What he should have said, if anything, was "I have no idea where it came from. The closest people I saw shooting were 2 miles away".

Think about how low energy it would have to be to break one, but not the second pane.

Id be asking the neighbor kids which one of them threw it at the lady's house.

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    And just like my issue they used an extremely small rebuttal from the gun owner versus a novel from the opposing side.

In my case this resulted in a slander case against the complaining neighbor which will result in a rebuttal of his claims as well as compensation for my defacement and degradation of my character.

I can only hope that property owner takes the same or similar actions.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Property owner concerned about gunfire next door: ?I don?t want kids getting hurt? | Fox 59

Story just came out of boone county. Its starting to seem like the news is trying to make an issue out of private ranges.

Anyone else notice that the targets that they kept showing were for archery, not firearms. They even said as much in the report, yet never showed the gun targets which,
    according to their own report, were set in front of a hill side on on another part of the property. They probably didn't show those because they were being used safely and that
    minor detail wouldn't fit the narrative.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anyone else notice that the targets that they kept showing were for archery, not firearms. They even said as much in the report, yet never showed the gun targets which,
    according to their own report, were set in front of a hill side on on another part of the property. They probably didn't show those because they were being used safely and that
    minor detail wouldn't fit the narrative.

That piece set my head on fire.

Top Bottom