• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I love how people keep bringing up ethics when a free man wants to purchase an item in a free country.

Unethical. Give me a break.

I think the word is immoral, not unethical. "Ethics" are less subjective. Morals deal more with people's personal values.

So to recap, some enterprising old guy gets up really early to patrol the counter at walmart so he can alert his crew to buy up all the ammo before anyone else can get to it. Not really unethical, but definitely immoral according to many people's values. I wouldn't do it. Most people won't do it.

I'm a proponent of free-market capitalism. I don't blame the guy for doing that. He's only taking advantage of a quirk in the market, albeit one I wouldn't do. This is that Walmart and other major retailers are selling the stuff for so far below market value that people like this will perpetuate the market conditions as long as they can. They keep the shelves bare, thus keeping the demand high, counting on large retailers to keep prices low, and then end up having the only product available that they can sell at higher prices. That is not exactly free-market capitalism.

I don't blame retailers for keeping their prices lower than market value. I kind of blame us who let our morals override the market. Walmart, Cabela's, Brownell's, Bass Pro--all the big box stores haven't really jacked up their prices on ammo all that much. I think they tend to see it as a moral issue too.

If we want to break the empty-shelf cycle, we need to give these retailers the moral permission to charge whatever the market will bear. If the old guy came in one morning and saw 22LR on the shelves for about what he plans to sell it for, he's probably going to leave it on the shelf. And as more ammo stays on the shelf, the price will eventually come back down. And when the price comes down because the market demands it, it will stay down everywhere.

davidw221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    I talked to the sporting goods guy today, he stated that was a good approach, he was going to talk to the store Manager about the random times for distribution.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I think the word is immoral, not unethical. "Ethics" are less subjective. Morals deal more with people's personal values.

So to recap, some enterprising old guy gets up really early to patrol the counter at walmart so he can alert his crew to buy up all the ammo before anyone else can get to it. Not really unethical, but definitely immoral according to many people's values. I wouldn't do it. Most people won't do it.

I'm a proponent of free-market capitalism. I don't blame the guy for doing that. He's only taking advantage of a quirk in the market, albeit one I wouldn't do. This is that Walmart and other major retailers are selling the stuff for so far below market value that people like this will perpetuate the market conditions as long as they can. They keep the shelves bare, thus keeping the demand high, counting on large retailers to keep prices low, and then end up having the only product available that they can sell at higher prices. That is not exactly free-market capitalism.

I don't blame retailers for keeping their prices lower than market value. I kind of blame us who let our morals override the market. Walmart, Cabela's, Brownell's, Bass Pro--all the big box stores haven't really jacked up their prices on ammo all that much. I think they tend to see it as a moral issue too.

If we want to break the empty-shelf cycle, we need to give these retailers the moral permission to charge whatever the market will bear. If the old guy came in one morning and saw 22LR on the shelves for about what he plans to sell it for, he's probably going to leave it on the shelf. And as more ammo stays on the shelf, the price will eventually come back down. And when the price comes down because the market demands it, it will stay down everywhere.

Basically that entire writeup IS free market capitalism.

Market CONTROLS are not free market.

In any case, this has already happened with most calibers and .22 will follow. Eventually supply meets demand, assuming no government interference which isn't a given these days.

mShu7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I was at Brownsburg Walmart this morning around 10 am. For the first time in the last year, I actually saw .22 LR on the shelves. They had two boxes of 333 count Winchester (I think) hollow point .22 and probably ten to twelve boxes of 325 count Federal target rounds. I picked up 3 boxes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Actually we do, but there is a cost (opportunity cost) of giving up what you would do instead, whether that be go to work, stay at home, go to the range, etc.

Yep, and some of us have more productive things to do than troll stores for the HOPE of finding ammo. It was cheaper for me to suck it up and pay the $13 shipping for several boxes of ammo for the wife. I dont have the time (or patience) to run around all over town finding no ammo more often than not. Going to 10 stores just to find one box of something is not my idea of fun.

It was nice the last time I happened to be in a walmart and the clerk was cool. I asked politely for two boxes of 9s and said they had a one box limit. He looked around, glanced at the stock level and said "no worries man. I got your back." as he grabbed the second box. :rockwoot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yep, and some of us have more productive things to do than troll stores for the HOPE of finding ammo. It was cheaper for me to suck it up and pay the $13 shipping for several boxes of ammo for the wife. I dont have the time (or patience) to run around all over town finding no ammo more often than not. Going to 10 stores just to find one box of something is not my idea of fun.

It was nice the last time I happened to be in a walmart and the clerk was cool. I asked politely for two boxes of 9s and said they had a one box limit. He looked around, glanced at the stock level and said "no worries man. I got your back." as he grabbed the second box. :rockwoot:

If I was wanting 22 ammo bad enough, I'd gladly avoid all the above and pay $50 for a brick. Yet the majority doesn't want to invest a single extra minute of their time nor pay 1 penny more than normal and then whine because the ammo isn't delivered to them on a silver platter.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I was at. Brownsburg WM today. No 22. Must've sold before I got there.

I only meant we have the opportunity. Not that it would be easy. I can't easily do it myself. Family and work take priority. But, the opportunity is there. With that said-I checked several places today since we were running around returning/exchanging stuff. I was in Carmel, Zionsville, Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield and Greenwood. Stopped at several places since I was driving by. Plainfield and Greenwood WM didn't have squat for ammo (or a place for it). Couldn't even pick up some 308s. Although I did see lots of 9mm and 40 at a couple places.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Actually we do, but there is a cost (opportunity cost) of giving up what you would do instead, whether that be go to work, stay at home, go to the range, etc.

So you honestly believe that it is a viable option to give up going to work in order to buy .22 ammo when 4 of your loved ones are depending on you to provide for them?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Yup, I'm whining, yes whining I say, even tho I haven't shopped for ammo for years and the last time I purchased ammo was 2 years ago, picked a brick of blazer for $19.00 on a whim, no it might have been 3 or 4 years ago. And no there was no silver platter either. IIRC the dealer had a full shelf of blazer, I'd guess a few hundred bricks.

My stash of 30/40 thousand rounds is holding up just fine.

Still able to purchase quality match ammo from online dealers for the same price I paid 8 years ago, costs less than the rip off artists charge for the plinking ammo.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I was wanting 22 ammo bad enough, I'd gladly avoid all the above and pay $50 for a brick. Yet the majority doesn't want to invest a single extra minute of their time nor pay 1 penny more than normal and then whine because the ammo isn't delivered to them on a silver platter.

I agree. And I have paid more than I wanted for 22 because I had no choice. Is it sad I choose to shoot my centerfires because its cheaper when you factor in the outrageous cost of those who DO have it, shipping, and hassle/time expended? Seriously, last time I found some it was only a few cents less per round than easy to find 9mm.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    So you honestly believe that it is a viable option to give up going to work in order to buy .22 ammo when 4 of your loved ones are depending on you to provide for them?

Thats not what you asked. You said...

Sorry but no we all don't have that opportunity.

Yes, you have the same opportunity. You may choose not to miss work (or whatever else is more important to you), but you DO have the OPPORTUNITY to go like many do.

If YOU choose not to go don't complain about those who do go.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was there about 8:30 Friday and they still had 7 boxes of the Federal bulk 550rnd boxes. The guy in front of me got two, I got three and there were two left along with many boxes of the 300+ size.
    I really went in for the .223 Tulammo but I wasn't going to pass up the .22 when I had the chance. My wife and I also went to the range later in the day and emptied one of those boxes! Went for a MC ride earlier today and swung by and got my 3 boxes of .223 Tul.

Matt

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

Yes, you have the same opportunity. You may choose not to miss work (or whatever else is more important to you), but you DO have the OPPORTUNITY to go like many do.

:rolleyes:

And as far as those that do just to turn around and sell for an obscene profit, they are nothing but a worthless piece of ****

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Exactly, you just explained "Opportunity Cost" to the rest of the class.

I was at. Brownsburg WM today. No 22. Must've sold before I got there.

I only meant we have the opportunity. Not that it would be easy. I can't easily do it myself. Family and work take priority. But, the opportunity is there. With that said-I checked several places today since we were running around returning/exchanging stuff. I was in Carmel, Zionsville, Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield and Greenwood. Stopped at several places since I was driving by. Plainfield and Greenwood WM didn't have squat for ammo (or a place for it). Couldn't even pick up some 308s. Although I did see lots of 9mm and 40 at a couple places.

Agreed... opportunity is there, just depends on what cost taking the time, etc to take advantage of it costs you in what else you could be doing.

For some, obviously so. For others, including myself, no, the opportunity cost is too great. For the person doing it, yes, it is a viable option, or he would not be doing it.

Agreed.

Top Bottom