• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The exception to the rule:

New DNA Technique Led Police to 'Grim Sleeper' Serial Killer and Will 'Change Policing in America' - ABC News

There may have been many more, I think the police are looking at least 30, but 12 is what he was convicted of. Serial killer executions, not defensive shootings (nor even "gun fights").

This guy just got sentenced to death in California, so effectively life sentence. California has not executed anyone since 2006, and has executed only 13 since California voters reinstated the death penalty in 1972.

Probably a .25 magnum..... ;)

It surely can stop and/or kill. Just not reliabily enough for self defense, IMO.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Probably a .25 magnum..... ;)

It surely can stop and/or kill. Just not reliabily enough for self defense, IMO.

Heh.

Oddly and sadly enough, what stood out about the story when I first read it was not that he was a serial killer, but that he used a .25.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It almost sounds like pistol whipping someone with a .25 might actually be more injurious than shooting them with it.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    The exception to the rule:

New DNA Technique Led Police to 'Grim Sleeper' Serial Killer and Will 'Change Policing in America' - ABC News

There may have been many more, I think the police are looking at least 30, but 12 is what he was convicted of. Serial killer executions, not defensive shootings (nor even "gun fights").

This guy just got sentenced to death in California, so effectively life sentence. California has not executed anyone since 2006, and has executed only 13 since California voters reinstated the death penalty in 1972.

I randomly opened this thread, clicked the link, read the article, then spent the last 2 hrs watching Nick Broomfield's Oscar nominated HBO doc about the grim sleeper.

Wow

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I started reading this when someone suggested it on my thread about buying a Baretta 950 .25
    I couldn't quit laughing at some of the comments, but it now gives me serious pause about using it for a backup.
    I guess if my 9mm or 45mm took him down and I was out of ammo, I could................won't finish sentence of where I would logically put a "killing" round from a 25: it wouldn't be "prudent." :nono:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I know a guy that got the **** beat out of him after he shot a biker 5 times in the chest with a .25.
    Biker was bruised where the .25 didn't penetrate his leathers.
    Cops showed up and found the guy on the floor bleeding pretty well. Cops got a kick out of the biker that got pissed and beat up the shooter.
    I'm sure some of you IMPD know what I'm referring to.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    There was a reason M took the .25 ACP Beretta 418 away from James Bond. It almost got him killed, albeit it was because of the silencer that was attached to it. He was given a .32 ACP Walther PPK to replace it. With that pistol he worked small miracles, rivaling blowing up a German Tiger II with a .45 ACP in Saving Private Ryan. The .32 ACP is a quantum leap from a .25 ACP, but it's still not much. Even so, the Colt Vest Pocket .25 ACP was a favorite concealed carry among Prohibition Era gangsters. It was good enough for them, for a while. Even Al Capone carried one (he also had several bigger caliber handguns). The Mafia didn't wear motorcycle leathers but they did start wearing early versions of body armor giving rise, in part, to the development of the .357 magnum revolver in 1935.

US Army generals were issued Colt M1903 .32 ACP pistols for personal protection shortly before WWII. Very soon after that policy was implemented, the US Army added the Colt M1908 .380 ACP and generals could choose which they wanted. General Patton used his M1908 .380 ACP to shoot at a Luftwaffe fighter strafing a HQ (if he'd used a M1911 .45 ACP he might have downed it). The M1903 and M1908 were the same design in different calibers (hammerless is a misnomer; the hammer was concealed in the frame). Even though they Colt discontinued them in 1945, the US Army (and presumably USAF) had enough of them to continue issuing them into the 1970's.

I'd never use anything less than a .380 ACP (aka 9mm short), and as with all calibers, shot placement is most important.

John

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just ran across this one today (yes, I know this is a 2017 thread).

Details: Man showed up in the ER with pain in this left knee. He had an unremarkable exam except for some discomfort when moving his knee. No obvious wounds or history of trauma. HOWEVER, a subsequent routine x-ray of his knee showed a .25 ACP FMJ bullet lodged in the knee. When shown the image, the man remembered the previous evening when he had been out with friends at a bar. "He fished around in the front right pocket of his jeans for his smokes and inadvertently stroked the trigger of his Jennings .25. He was surprised when the gun discharged, but thankful not to have been injured. ... He reported no pain at all." The only visible wound was a spot that could have easily passed "for a mosquito bite," about 3" above his knee.

Source - https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2018/01/gunshot-wounds-defensive-gunfire/

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Something to think about fellow INGOers: The legendary John Moses Browning designed the lever action Winchester, the Model 1897 shotgun (pump action also used on the Model 12), the semi-automatic rifle that became the Remington Model 8, the modern semi-automatic handgun (Colt 1903/1908/1911), the .45 acp round, the Browning Automatic Rifle and machine guns including the M2 (Ma Deuce, in service from 1938 until this day). What if everyone said, "Yeah, but he gave us the .25 acp..." I'm glad we don't.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I also know this is old... some time long ago my grandfather ND'd a little 25 auto Beretta upstairs at our family lake house. I found the bullet a few years ago under a dresser completely intact and unblemished besides rifling marks. We have no idea what it hit.

Top Bottom