• ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    As to the gunsmith issue,
    Bubba left you a 'Flat' spot, so there is hope...

Depending on how much of that block is left, I *might* silver solder down a base, or I *might* mill the rest of the rounded top down so I could drill clean holes for a sight...
    The flat extended forward would leave room for a leaf type/front screw notch sight.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    r15W7MW.jpg

1ssx5Ol.jpg

AQSgw8R.jpg

Finally achieved a resolution to this story. So, after a couple of attempts, I figured out that I'm not really equipped at home to fixture the whole barrel and receiver properly and then heat the sight to the required temperature to break the solder loose. I ended up enlisting the help of a local gunsmith in Bloomington for that part. He claimed he had to get that sucker up to about 1,200 degrees F to break it loose, which is well beyond my bench vise and propane torch. It was also, apparently, a real bear to get it installed and aligned properly.

The new part does not fit exactly the same, though the pin indexes the sight at the same point on the barrel. The 7.65 sight block is shorter in length and seems to sit just a little further forward. I had to do some minor clearancing on the stock during reassembly.

Amazingly, it shoots pretty good! The pictured group was at 50 yards using a standard western-style sight picture. I was able to get good results switching to an Italian-style hold, burying the top of the front sight post in the bottom of the notch and placing the target just over the front sight post, visible in the middle of the notch. This is handier than it sounds, because at realistic carbine combat range the target is not obscured by the front sight post. Using this technique, I had a relatively easy time ringing a steel target at 150 yards. That's the max range I anticipate using this rifle at, and will probably do little more than plink away at 50 yards.

I was very ambivalent about this purchase until now. Obviously the grouping isn't great, but I'm a godawful shot with full power iron sighted service rifles, so this is very acceptable to me. Hopefully, once I switch to reloading .268 bullets for it, those groups will tighten up a little bit. Surprisingly, there's a lot to like about the much-maligned little Carcano. It's a 6 shot, en bloc fed rifle with roughly .30-30 power in a size package that almost reminds me of an M1 carbine. Loading is fast and easy compared to shoving rounds down off a tight stripper clip.

The only remaining challenge is correcting the wrong caliber stamping. Not a problem for me, but if the rifle ever moves on, I don't want somebody stuffing a 7.65 into this bad boy and potentially setting it off. I don't think it would chamber, but...no accounting for how hard Bubba wants to beat that bolt handle to get it to close. The right way is to grind it down, stamp it, and reblue it. Maybe one of those old school label makers...

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Nice update. It sounds like you are happy with the rifle after the work and effort put into it and that's what really matters. I have a 6.5 carbine very similar to that one. I also have the longer infantry 6.5 and a 7.35. Admittedly I don't shoot them much but am set up to reload both calibers.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    "The only remaining challenge is correcting the wrong caliber stamping. Not a problem for me, but if the rifle ever moves on, I don't want somebody stuffing a 7.65 into this bad boy and potentially setting it off. I don't think it would chamber, but..."

Oh, yes, it WILL chamber a 7.35mm round. That is one of the reasons after the start of WWII that the Italians sent the newer/larger round to the Fins where they were used in the Winter War. They were in the process of replacing the smaller cartridge but since they were now engaged in a shooting war they decided to simplify the logistics chain and limit confusion at the front by not doing so. Either rifle will chamber and fire either cartridge, the 6.5 in a 7.35 would just be inaccurate while a 7.35 in a 6.5 would disable the rifle.

These are very strong actions. Mythbusters tried to get one to blow up by blocking the bbl...as usual they had to resort to plastic explosives.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I see. I knew the cases were very close but I wasn't sure the ogive of the bullet would make it into a 6.5 chamber. Looking at it, it seems very easy to chamber a 7.65 round in a 6.5 action.

Really would have preferred a 6.5 sight, but I was completely unable to locate one. I'll have to come up with a solution at some point.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    You can buy original Carcano sights From The Gun Parts Corp and also Sarco. I just replaced mine with a set from Gun Parts. The original sights were the old ladder style. They came right off after drifting out two pins. Slid the new sight on, marked the new location and had to file a new slot in barrel. Slid new sight on barrel and drifted in new pin. Problem solved. The new sight is a peep sight. My rifle is also 6.5, the only sights I could find were marked 7.35. Solution- file out the 7.35 with a file. Polish with emory cloth and restamp with 6.5. Then reblue the top of sight. I used some 44/40 cold blue I had on hand and it turned out fine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom