• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dang, I have a buck knife that I use to clean game right now, but it's somewhat sentimental because it was a gift from my dad and he had it engraved. But he did buy it for me to use for what I am... I was thinking about buying a Esee-3 to replace it but I am so torn. I would be interested in a 110 if it really will hold an edge that much longer as that is important to me as I am not a knife guy and prefer to have someone else sharpen them for me. So if I can use it a whole season or longer that would be fantastic!

If you want better edge holding for your Buck 110, you have two excellent choices:

1. Cabela's Alaskan Guide Buck 110 with CPM S30V (and a Paul Bos heat treatment)
    2. Buck's Custom Shop, same blade as above

You might also be able to find Buck 110 with BG-42, but it could get expensive to get someone to part with it since you can't get them anymore. Another option would be the BassPro version with CPM 154, but I don't think they make that anymore either.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Cool, I'll take a look, I am going to see what I currently have... I still like the Esee but I am kind of being won over due to what I have now, but it may not compare. I need to get my hands on an Esee.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If you want better edge holding for your Buck 110, you have two excellent choices:

1. Cabela's Alaskan Guide Buck 110 with CPM S30V (and a Paul Bos heat treatment)
    2. Buck's Custom Shop, same blade as above

You might also be able to find Buck 110 with BG-42, but it could get expensive to get someone to part with it since you can't get them anymore. Another option would be the BassPro version with CPM 154, but I don't think they make that anymore either.

You will get the best edge retention out of the S30V.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    If you can find a Buck 110 with BG42, buy it. BG42 is one of those forgotten steels, but is an excellent steel (There are custom makers still using it). Most people that have experience with BG42 and S30V will tell you they get better edge retention with BG42. In theory, BG-42 is HRC 60-61 and S30V is HRC 58-59 assuming the correct heat treat process was preformed. Note: Hardness rating is only one factor that will determine edge retention. The other main factor in edge retention is the wear resistance properties of the steel. BG42 has better wear resistance properties than S30V, and this is the main reason along with the hardness rating, that people who use this steel state that it has better edge retention than S30V.

Last edited:

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    man i wish i would have known the 110 was a sissy 40 yrs ago. i could have had a sweet tacky-cool knife instead of these.
    PICT4788_zpsd56101a0.jpg
    o well i like my old buck knives,
    PICT4784_zps90e380ee.jpg PICT4780_zpsfa4ec591.jpg PICT4796_zps268c150d.jpg
    PICT4786_zps38a107b8.jpg PICT4782_zps329d8d44.jpg PICT4760_zps8399ec42.jpg
    and the old rigid's, gerbers, and schrade's that copied them.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I don't think ESEE was around 40 years ago. And to all you BUCK owners, I apologize for putting my foot in my mouth again. I actually own a couple of BUCK fixed blades. Again, my apologies.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I carry and love my ESEE 3 every day! Just used it a few mins ago to cut some bands off skids. I do have a buck fixed knife that's several years old that I take sometimes hunting, but like my KA bars I don't have a kydex sheath to carry it iwb so ESEE for the win!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you can find a Buck 110 with BG42, buy it. BG42 is one of those forgotten steels, but is an excellent steel (There are custom makers still using it). Most people that have experience with BG42 and S30V will tell you they get better edge retention with BG42. In theory, BG-42 is HRC 60-61 and S30V is HRC 58-59 assuming the correct heat treat process was preformed. Note: Hardness rating is only one factor that will determine edge retention. The other main factor in edge retention is the wear resistance properties of the steel. BG42 has better wear resistance properties than S30V, and this is the main reason along with the hardness rating, that people who use this steel state that it has better edge retention than S30V.

Indeed. BG-42 also takes a very sharp edge easily, much like CPM S30V.

I kick myself for not getting half a dozen blade swaps done when they were still available. It was cheap too. I know it was under $100, and I think it was more like $70-75 including return shipping. The final result was perfectly fit too!

catalyst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    You might also think about a Becker BK11 or BK14. I will often wear the BK11 and carry a folder in my pocket. The ESEE 3 might be a bit bulky for neck carry, but the Beckers have a skeletonized handle and are very light. I carry my 11 with a cord wrap on the handle, and with a good adjustable laynard, you hardly notice it is there. The ESEE is a great knife, though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sayeth the man who can't keep from "accidentally" cutting himself...

My 0350 composite or Rake composite or JYD II composite do quite nicely, mister. :D

Oh, those are adequate ladies' knives, I suppose.

Yesterday I had an actual accident with a knife that was not precipitated by negligence. I made it over a month.

Top Bottom