• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    One of my co-workers has been OOO (out of office) since Monday morning. Apparently he left early because he was in a lot of pain. Over the weekend, he tripped on a curb and fell. He was carrying on a belt holster under his coat. The way he fell pushed the handle of his pistol up into his rib cage, breaking a couple of ribs and inflicting some serious bruises.

Just something to be aware of. I've seen similar comments on threads related to carrying on a bicycle, but never heard of such injuries from just tripping and falling on a carried pistol.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I fell a couple of years ago while I was not carrying and broke ribs. I was jobbing at the park and some lady with a yiper-dog wrapped his leash around my ankles. It didn't seem so bad until later when every breath hurt. The point is that it's really easy to break ribs with or without a gun in the mix.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I cracked a couple of ribs just from coughing (borderline pneumonia). Very painful and really nothing to be done for it except tough it out and let them heal.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I broke a rib in 2 places back in Feb when my cuffs rode up while I was taking down a young man and we fell backwards onto a metal table, then a chair and then the floor. Took 3 days to realize it. Found it when I laughed! Re-broke it 3 months later so now I've let it heal completely before tussling.

Bob

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Broken ribs from a simple fall would be unlikely to puncture a lung or cause any other secondary injury. The mechanism of injury would have to be more substantial. Similarly, I would be highly skeptical of anyone claiming a fractured vertebra from falling on a small of the back carry from a standing position. Vertebral fractures require a lot of force absent some complicating issue; severe osteoporosis, weakened vertebra from tumor (which would be a pathologic fracture), etc.
    A lot of people get hurt simply from falling when not carrying a gun. Women in high heels are the worst; fracture dislocations of the ankle. Vanity has its costs in more ways than the wallet.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Broken ribs from a simple fall would be unlikely to puncture a lung or cause any other secondary injury. The mechanism of injury would have to be more substantial.

Interesting you say that, but I've worked a couple of pneumothorax from broken ribs from relatively minor MOI. One was from someone who broke her ribs (2) three days previously and woke up one evening with one lung collapsed.

Top Bottom