• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Looks like most everybody missed the part about how she's already got a LCP. I highly recommend getting the Hogue grip for it. Reduces felt recoil and makes it much easier to hold onto when it's trying to jump out of your hand.

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151194422/hogue-handall-slip-on-grip-sleeve-for-ruger-lcp-rubber[/FONT]

I think everyone is thinking she will not like the LCP and want something different after shooting it. I let my wife handle several of my handguns. Most were "Too heavy". She liked the Taurus 605 the best, so I bought her the Taurus 85. She liked it, but when she shot the Sig P238, she wanted it instead. So until I can find her a P238 Rainbow at a reasonable price she can use mine. She shot my TCP, that I have since sold, which she hated. Too snappy. There is really little difference in feel between the TCP and the LCP. I kept the LCP because I felt it was more reliable. But again, some perceive recoil differently than others, and maybe Grandma will like her new LCP. Let's hope so.:D

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    In response to "why a pocket pistol for home defense?"

Well i tried to persuade them to purchase a fullsize 9mm, but she wanted a little guy... I explained over and over again how even though .380 and 9mm is a small round, it will be quite snappy in anything less than 20 ounces, but they were dead set on a sub/pocket.

They're purchasing a hogue for it this weekend. I explained, yeah that first shot will count, but with a .380/9mm, you'll want to pop off a few more follow ups to make damn well sure they're going to stay down. That hogue will help tremendously with follow up.

Also, her eyesight isn't the best, so I told them to get a set of good night sights. The laser will help, but I'm a firm believer that you should never rely solely on accessories for aim.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I hope I'm wrong, but. . .

I predict Grandma never shoots more than half a dozen mags through it in one session and that she'll not be able to reliably hit a paper plate at 21 feet with it.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I hope I'm wrong, but. . .

I predict Grandma never shoots more than half a dozen mags through it in one session and that she'll not be able to reliably hit a paper plate at 21 feet with it.

Unfortunatly I have to agree...

I can barely put half a dozen mags through the LCP. It starts to rub the hand raw after the first few...

It's just a snappy little gun, it's great for pocket carry, just not something i'd want to shoot at the range all day.

You might want to consider limiting those range trips to 50 round sessions...

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I also will give a recommendation in the direction of the Bersa .380. I have owned a few over the years and have had good luck with all of them. There is also a high cap model I believe. If Grandma's hands are big enough to grip it comfortably and she can handle the additional ammo weight you might want to check into that option. If money is going to be an issue a good, reliable, used pistol could be purchased. Other advantages of buying used are, no break in period and the extra ammunition that you can buy with the savings you get from not buying new. Goodluck!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe a Walther PK380 would work. I've owned a PK380 and found it to be a very soft shooter. The slide is also easy to rack and the size of the gun would make it easier for her to handle. It's about the size of a small 9mm but in the arthritic friendly .380 caliber. I sold mine because I don't mind recoil and for the size, could carry a 9mm. But, if someone is looking for a self defense gun that is very easy on older joints, the PK380 might be worth looking into.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have no problem saying it... an LCP for Grandma for "home defense" is just stupid. High recoil. Hard to rack. Low capacity. Non-existent sights. Probably the worst possible choice. The LCP excels at one thing, lightweight concealed carry.

A dozen better choices. Many were just as cheap.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have no problem saying it... an LCP for Grandma for "home defense" is just stupid. High recoil. Hard to rack. Low capacity. Non-existent sights. Probably the worst possible choice. The LCP excels at one thing, lightweight concealed carry.

A dozen better choices. Many were just as cheap.

Hey, you know, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. :laugh:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I'd suggest something bigger, maybe the new LC380 or the Bersa Thunder .380. The small, snappy LCP might be too much for grandma.

Very true. Those are some pretty light weight pistols.
    Is bersa a decent manufacture?

My bride of 40+ years carries the Bersa .380CC and loves it :)

She also has weak hands due to arthritis and a few other things and she is still able to rack the slide.

Bersa is a great weapon !!!

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    If it were my Granny, and she was new to handguns, I would go with a revolver. S&W or LCR. Now if granny is frail, .22 mag is a good option.

spd211

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    I love my Walther PK380. It's big enough the recoil is unsubstantial. The gun is as accurate as any right out of the box. Tearing it down and cleaning it might be a little more than Grandma can manage. The recoil spring can be a little finicky at times. Over all though it's money well spent. I absolutely love the weapon system. It may not be the prettiest or smoothest, but it'll get the job done.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom