• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    SOme people think that a AR has to be expensive to build. Here is one I built for my 17 year old son that will be his early xmass present. Now maybe he will leave mine alone!

I attempted to purchase all good quality stuff. There is a fair amount of junk out there.

Rock River receiver lower from a INGO member. 100.00
    A2 FN Barrel from a INDGO Member 115.00 Shipped
    A2 Upper receiver from another INDGO Member 50.00
    Used A2 Stock w buffer/spring from Premier Arms. 40.00
    LPK from Double Star 55.00
    Gas tube From Double Star 10.00
    Bolt and Carrier From a INGO member 75.00
    A2 Handguards from EBAY 15.00

A couple of hours max to assemble,check head space,test fire ect. I put 60 rounds through it with flawless function and got it zeroed in with no prob.
    $460.00 is not to bad IMO

AR15's do not have to be an expensive endeavor. Just a little shopping around and some patients and you are GTG. Just thought I would share.:yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Very nice thread. Can't wait to see pictures and additional report(s). I guess the key is patience and the ability to bargain shop. How long did it take to amass the parts?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Very nice thread. Can't wait to see pictures and additional report(s). I guess the key is patience and the ability to bargain shop. How long did it take to amass the parts?

Right around six weeks after deciding on what type of build. I believe in the learning to walk before learning to run concept. For a 17 year old I figured nothing fancy so he could master the basics of iron sights first.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Making a note to get with you to be my shopping consultant after Christmas LOL. Of course, you've already offered your help on getting my build together, which I intend to take you up on.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Making a note to get with you to be my shopping consultant after Christmas LOL. Of course, you've already offered your help on getting my build together, which I intend to take you up on.

Looking forward to it Joe. I recommend to just start picking up stuff here and there. That way it is easy to hide form the wife and your not out much all at once. My wife is killer at noticing different stuff on my work bench. It is one of those "Where did you get that..I've never seen that before..how much did that cost...where did you get the money for that"?:n00b: I have actually brought stuff in during the middle of the night when she is in there doing her usual snoring like a drunk sailor. Then I hide it before she gets up.:D It works pretty well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Looking forward to it Joe. I recommend to just start picking up stuff here and there. That way it is easy to hide form the wife and your not out much all at once. My wife is killer at noticing different stuff on my work bench. It is one of those "Where did you get that..I've never seen that before..how much did that cost...where did you get the money for that"?:n00b: I have actually brought stuff in during the middle of the night when she is in there doing her usual snoring like a drunk sailor. Then I hide it before she gets up.:D It works pretty well.

Man, did I marry your wife's twin?! :D

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Just built my third AR for just under $600.00. You got me beat. That's a great deal and a great Christmas gift for your son.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Its best to build your own been trying to tell people that for a long time ,I cringe when I see someone buy an AR already together. I got about 800 in mine and made it a match gun,free float handguard,match trigger ,cryo'ed barrel & smaller sights .

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    xring, I agree. I, like most, had zero experience in the AR field when I purchased my first - RRA AR rifle. I'm no expert by any means, but the math quickly added up in my favor when doing my own build. With the money saved I can buy more accessories, magazines, etc.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My thing is you live and learn. I definitely want to build my next one. Since I'm not buying anymore guns, that's the route I'm taking. :yesway:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    well can bCG's be relaible found under a hundred bucks?

I'd like to make a budget AR varmint gun. Mod 1 sales has 20 inch ershaw stainless barreled uppers with YHM rail for 375. ( I like the rail for ease of mounting a bipod and cooling)

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have been shopping around a lot for an upper and it seems like most the cost is going to be in the handguards/rails. You can get a complete lower for under $200, and a basic upper for the $300-$500 range easy; however, once you get into the premium handguard/rails, that seems to be when you get up in the $800-$1000 range.

Top Bottom