• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    Looking to pick up a bolt action (223, 243, or open to other options) for around 400 for just the rifle.

Been looking at the Marlin X7, Howa 1500, Savage Axis/Axis 2, and the Stephens 200.

Is there a good place in the Indy area that has a wide selection of bolt actions I could check out?

And does anyone have any advice on which would make a decent paper puncher and possibly varmit hunter?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    you could add ruger american/ ruger american varmint to the list.
    Or, if you watch sales and rebates, you might be able to get a Thompson Center Venture (w/ 5r rifling!!) which is a great value!

I hate to recommend Gander Mtn.m but they mgiht have msot of these on the shelf

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I will take a look at the Venture. I have a TC Omega and I have been really happy with it so far.

Not really interested in a Mosin right now, thanks for the suggestion though.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Though I don't have any of them, I think any of the guns you mentioned will do the job. I agree the Ruger American might fit into your mix as well. As for caliber, .223. Try to get something with a 1:9 twist for versatility.

Edit: Oops, I forgot the wife's Howa 1500 SV. It was beyond your stated price but shoots lighter bullets very well. It's a 1:12.

Brennend08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    i would go the marlin x7 because its a newer-ish gun on the market, and the accuracy ratings are better than the ruger. I had issues with my ruger american so i would consider the savage as well but i like the marlin x7.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not to throw another name in the mix, but if you keep an eye on the adds, a Remington 700 is not out of the question either. I picked up a 700 SPS Varminter in 308 (with scope) for around $500. I would imagine that with a bit of diligent shopping around, and watching for the sales, it isnt out of the question.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have a Marlin X7VH in 223 and it is very accurate with my loads, I can't say how it is with factory ammo, as I've never shot any out of it. But it is an easy 3/4" rifle even with the P.O.S. Centerfire scope . I had a Stevens 200 in 223 and just couldn't get the groups out of it that I wanted. Of all the tupperware stock rifles that I've messed with, the stock on the Marlin is the stiffest I've come across also the trigger is very decent.

I'm looking to pick one up in 22=250 eventually

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    Ruger American's are nice "cheap" rifle's. I own one in .308 and i really enjoy it. They come in the calibers you are wanting. The varmit version would be even better do to the medium barrel.

lawnpros

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Greenwood
    Picked up a venture when they had a rebate. great shooter but bolt catch needed a little work as it allowed the bolt to slide out the back when cycled firmly. Camo with camo scope made nice outfit. shot 1.5 at 100yds with leupold. never got to the 1 inch as advertised.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I had a Stevens 200 in .223 and it was a good rifle. Inexpensive and has aftermarket stock options. Google "budget precision rifle build" and you will get some good information. Especially the snipershide or savage shooters forums.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If your wanting a budget bolt gun for just paper take a look at the Savage Axis Heavy Barrel hard to beat for the money although might be a bit heavy if you plan to lug it around in the woods.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I love my Axis in .308. Its been accurate right out of the box and I havent had any problems with it. I would recommend it for an entry level rifle for hunting or general use.

Top Bottom