• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My safe is packed with guns, here is how I store my 10k rounds of ammo. I do have a few unopened cans of 7.62x54r stacked on top of the safe, I ran out of room under the work bench.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If you have a central air cooled home with central heat, I would not worry about storage deterioration. Humidity is kept in check with central air and winter heat normally keeps the humidity quite low. I would not store ammo in a basement or unheated outside building without some protection, but have never seen any issue with ammo I have stored for over 20 years in my home. Son and I have about 30K of mixed caliber rounds, estimated value probably $10K, plus we have primers, powder, brass and bullets worth $4 ~ $5 K stored. some in ammo cans, some in plastic boxes (mostly reloads), and some in the original cardboard.

We don't keep any in "safes", I feel sure a BG would target our guns or other far more easily moved valuables before stealing the ammo or supplies.

As I am retired, pretty much a homebody, wife is armed and also home most of the time, my DIL doesn't work (and is armed and a good shot), if a BG broke into our homes they would probably leave on a board with someone carrying them, might have a bullet or more in them, but doubt they will carry any others.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    For a while I kept the ammo in one of those very large ammo cans. (30 cal?) and kept inventory cards in it to know how many rounds of each caliber I had. That thing was heavy and was a hassle to keep inventoried.
    So I also got one of those "Stack-On" gun cabinets, added shelf brackets and shelves, secured it to a closet wall, and added the ammo. Now all it takes is a quick glance to see what I have (or need) without grunting, and removing ammo to count it. My back appreciates it!! :): and the ammo is easy to keep moderately secure.

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    I just bought a wooden crate with a latch on it at the Rural King in Niles, MI for $10. The crate was originally used to store 105mm howitzer shells. Based on my estimate from what I just put in there, you can store around 3,000 rounds in. Its not fireproof, but its sturdy.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    I got a stack-on locker from homedepot.com for under a hundred bucks. It's decent sized, has 3 shelves, and can bolt to the floor or wall. My kid doesn't walk yet, but I figure it can't be a bad practice to start locking it up.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I got a stack-on locker from homedepot.com for under a hundred bucks. It's decent sized, has 3 shelves, and can bolt to the floor or wall. My kid doesn't walk yet, but I figure it can't be a bad practice to start locking it up.

Those will work for me also. I see they have two 3-shelf units. Is there a difference between the 2 cu ft cabinet for $99 and the 2 cu ft cabinet for $69? Am I missing something? They look exactly the same except for the color.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On...RCH=RV-_-RV_nav_plp_rr-2-_-NA-_-203675976-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On...RCH=RV-_-RV_nav_plp_rr-2-_-NA-_-203675975-_-N

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    I got the black one. And I'll tell you, it's a bit bigger than you think. You can easily fit a few thousand rounds in there if you pack em in. I currently have a bunch of .45 in mine, along with a few pistols. I threw a few dessicant packets in there just to be safe.

gearjammer21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    $20 cabinet and $5 lock from lowes just for the ammo, around 5000 rds of 40 & 9, not bad for the money...

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

Not a bad cabinet in all. I was very disappointed to see those cheap plastic shelves especially when heavy ammo is to be placed on them. As soon as I started placing ammo on them they started to sag in the middle so I was forced to put supports under the shelves to prevent it. Because of the shelves, I would rate the cabinet a 3 out of 5.

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    I use a 4-drawer filing cabinet with locks installed on each drawer. 2 drawers are for mags and 2 drawers are for ammunition. Not fool proof, but its too heavy for someone to just pick up and run with. They could cut the locks, but the whole time they are in there my alarm is going off. Its horribly loud, with a direct link to the police.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    Not a bad cabinet in all. I was very disappointed to see those cheap plastic shelves especially when heavy ammo is to be placed on them. As soon as I started placing ammo on them they started to sag in the middle so I was forced to put supports under the shelves to prevent it. Because of the shelves, I would rate the cabinet a 3 out of 5.

That's the one I keep on my nightstand. It doesn't have to hold everything. Just "enough". :)

As a disclaimer, I haven't found a better place that's close by to put it yet. So until then, it sits on the nightstand, and my wife complains.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Do not forget that a major risk to your property is FIRE!

Ammunition contains gunpowder. Put a large amount of gunpowder in a small box. Heat to several hundred degrees. What is it?

Answer: A bomb!

A bomb right next to the beautiful firearms we are wanting to protect.

Ergo, do NOT store ammunition inside a gun safe, at least not one with guns inside. It can be counterproductive.

I do not know a great way to protect ammunition as I don't know many people who do. However, a locked Stackon safe may be a good option. Or, use one of those 105mm crates. I just picked one up from Rural King in Decatur for $10! Put all the ammo in it. Then, try to carry it...

Criminals are so damn dumb they will throw their backs out trying to haul a big box instead of breaking it down.

Good luck in your quest.

Regards,

Doug

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    A bomb right next to the beautiful firearms we are wanting to protect.

Ergo, do NOT store ammunition inside a gun safe, at least not one with guns inside. It can be counterproductive.

I do not know a great way to protect ammunition as I don't know many people who do. However, a locked Stackon safe may be a good option.

Exactly one of the reasons I wanted to move my ammo to a separate storage unit. The lockable Stack-On's are nice options and there's a size to fit just about anyones needs. Plus the ability to bolt them to the safe and/or wall adds additional security. I had to settle with a size that would fit atop my safe to keep my happy home....happy. The original idea of another large safe/cabinet didn't go over too well with the wife. It still manages to hold a couple thousand rounds of various size ammo with no problem.

Also, I store important documents in my safe in addition to firearms and the last thing I want inside is a fire. My thought was it sort of defeats the purpose of using a fireproof safe in the 1st place if your going to store items that may increase the chance of a fire starting inside it.

Last edited:

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I outgrew my original sentry 14 gun safe. When I bought a new one I started using the old one for ammo storage. You can never by a big enough safe or have too much storage.

Top Bottom