• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Old vintage Rem 700 ADL (wood stock) and an old steel Weaver scope. Use the rest of the money for something else.

Funny how the definition of old changes. Wasn’t too long ago I bought mine used (in 270) and they were everywhere. Shot minute-of-shoulder on New Mexico mulies at 300 yards without much fanfare (not by me, but my in laws...I ain’t that good). Took it out last year for the first time in almost 15 years to use on Indiana deer. I forgot how much missed my old sweetheart rifle; 75 yard shot with a .270 in Indiana...overkill, but I think I’ll do it again this year. Love the trigger and accuracy on this gun, and the old budget ADLs look great by today’s standards. Beautiful bluing.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    OP, to answer your question go with the Howa 1500 in a .308. I bought a used one with a scope for 450.00 and this thing is a tack driver. I have shot twice the last two years at bucks and they both were dead right there. I have owned and still have expensive rifles and I will pick my Howa first any day.

Dark Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    South bend
    Big fan of my Savage 10 fcp-sr in .308 with SWFA SS 10x42 scope. I'd have to wade through old emails to find my orders but I think it was under $800.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'd rather a new rifle hunter have a Weaver K4 or T6 on an H&R .243 or .308, and a TON of ammo to practice with than any of the above more costly options.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    OP, to answer your question go with the Howa 1500 in a .308. I bought a used one with a scope for 450.00 and this thing is a tack driver. I have shot twice the last two years at bucks and they both were dead right there. I have owned and still have expensive rifles and I will pick my Howa first any day.

I have a Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger and it is a fantastic varmint rifle.
    I would not hesitate to buy one in .308 if I were looking for a rifle in that caliber.
    That said, for the same price or maybe a little less, you can pick up a very nice "budget rifle" in the Mossberg Patriot.
    I have one in .30-06 and love it. I was VERY impressed with the entire rifle for the price-point. It does NOT have the synthetic stock. Mine has a nice walnut stock.

I doubt you'd regret either purchase, and either would still leave a couple of Benjamin's for glass.
    I'm with Hookeye on the glass.
    I've killed countless game, of all shapes and species, with a lowly Bushnell-Banner 3x9x40.

Killed a lot with iron sights too...just sayin'

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'd rather a new rifle hunter have a Weaver K4 or T6 on an H&R .243 or .308, and a TON of ammo to practice with than any of the above more costly options.

This is just profoundly true. A symptom of our present age I suppose that people try to buy better stuff rather than just learning to shoot well. I'd venture with few exceptions most rifles shoot better than their owners if the rifle was made more recently than the 60s.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Agreed mostly on the glass and it is a solid point on the need for practice but I see no point in a new rifle shooter starting out with a rifle that has a terrible trigger, especially when better options are available for a similar price or slightly higher price. Along the same line, why buy the cheapest possible rifle that has a crappy stock, is super light or both which will only increase the felt recoil. Extended practice with a terrible trigger and a rifle that unnecessarily beats one up does not seem likely to do anything positive for a a new rifle hunter. Also, the .243 while great for keeping recoil down, requires a bit higher level of knowledge/understanding of bullet selection, a level not likely to be found in most new rifle hunters.

trclark1525

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2019
    Goshen
    I would recommend a Ruger American. Several years back I purchased a Ruger American in .308 and mounted a Vortext Diamondback Tactical SFP to it. I was pleasantly surprised by how accurate the rifle was with Hornady Superformance SST’s. Last year I sold the .308 and bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and topped it with a Diamondback Tactical FFP, which still came out under $800. I can consistently shoot 5/8 MOA groups with 143 ELD-X’s and occasionally squeeze out a sub 1/2 MOA group. The part of this rifle that makes it a “budget rifle” is the stock. While it’s light weight, it’s a little flimsy on the forend and it may not be as ergonomic as others out there. It works perfectly fine on a hunting rifle, but if you plan to stretch the rifle out and do some long range work, you’ll want to make some modifications.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Agreed mostly on the glass and it is a solid point on the need for practice but I see no point in a new rifle shooter starting out with a rifle that has a terrible trigger, especially when better options are available for a similar price or slightly higher price. Along the same line, why buy the cheapest possible rifle that has a crappy stock, is super light or both which will only increase the felt recoil. Extended practice with a terrible trigger and a rifle that unnecessarily beats one up does not seem likely to do anything positive for a a new rifle hunter. Also, the .243 while great for keeping recoil down, requires a bit higher level of knowledge/understanding of bullet selection, a level not likely to be found in most new rifle hunters.

Right?

It's like buying a 10 year old Ford Taurus when you can get a new Toyota Camry for the same money. No brainer that one should opt for the newer and better if the money is the same.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Right?

It's like buying a 10 year old Ford Taurus when you can get a new Toyota Camry for the same money. No brainer that one should opt for the newer and better if the money is the same.

It usually isn't, Mr. Fat.

.243 is plenty adequate on deer inside the range of a beginner. I think that's about 200 yards.

I don't disagree on the trigger comments re: H&R. That being said, I don't think their triggers "beat you up" unless you let them. Hell, I've shot a lot worse, and I can shoot them pretty well. It's mostly between your ears.

My main point, and I'm not saying y'all missed it, is the ammo + practice item.

If the boyo can afford a $500 rifle & scope, and still get a case of ammo to burn, great. More the merrier.

...but the ammo + dryfire in equal-or-greater amount is what is key when the chips are down. Not rifle type, and not trigger.

-Nate

Top Bottom