"Budget" long range build asking for advice...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    I would like to build a rifle to basically turn into a hobby and start reloading. I would start with a used rifle for an action and would prefer a beat up Remington 700 to start it off. I would be (over a period of time) replacing the barrel, trigger, and either build up the existing stock with body filler for shaping/modifying and bedding it or buy an aftermarket bedded stock. What kind of advice could you give as far as what action, trigger, and barrel combo would best suit me. I have no idea where to start with a barrel or the finishing of one or if you just order one and screw it on. I had a Remington 700 SPS tacticool in .308 that did well up to 800yd but i was always wanting more out of it and had no idea what direction to go. This gun would be a "range queen" so weight is not an issue. I would like to stay with a Remington .308 because it is what i am familiar with but I am not afraid to explore other calibers and actions. Thank you in advance

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would like to build a rifle to basically turn into a hobby and start reloading. I would start with a used rifle for an action and would prefer a beat up Remington 700 to start it off. I would be (over a period of time) replacing the barrel, trigger, and either build up the existing stock with body filler for shaping/modifying and bedding it or buy an aftermarket bedded stock. What kind of advice could you give as far as what action, trigger, and barrel combo would best suit me. I have no idea where to start with a barrel or the finishing of one or if you just order one and screw it on. I had a Remington 700 SPS tacticool in .308 that did well up to 800yd but i was always wanting more out of it and had no idea what direction to go. This gun would be a "range queen" so weight is not an issue. I would like to stay with a Remington .308 because it is what i am familiar with but I am not afraid to explore other calibers and actions. Thank you in advance[/QUOTE

Soooo. I am trying to make sense of what you want to do. You have, or have had, a Remington 700 in .308 but were not willing to rebarrel or rechamber it? If you let it go, you got rid of the used Remmy 700 you seek. Was it not "used" enough? I really don't understand your question except I will tell you that a barrel must be fitted to the action and the barreled action should be fitted to the stock. Not by you. Not at this time.

Please clarify.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I too am a bit confused.
    sounds like you just want to customize a gun similar to one you used to own -- which is perfectly fine.
    i am no expert on the subject -- for the money you'll spend, it will only be marginally better than the one you had previously (again, your money so that's fine).
    i would have a smith do the barreling.

If you're also gonna get into reloading, how about considering other Calibers? Or other platforms (Savage, Sako/Tikka)?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    It's hard to put "long range" and "budget" in the same sentence. I'm partial to the drop in aluminum chassis systems myself due to the lack of need for any type of bedding. But at best you can buy a used McCrees for $550/$600. As for triggers the new XMark Pro from Remington is a user serviceable pack. Aftermarket trigger wise your looking at $125 an up. I like Timneys. Rings are easy to go fairly "cheap" on, look at Burris or TPS. Scopes are a different story. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. The SWFA super snipers at $299/$399 are probably your best bet for "budget. "

I'm currently building three 700's for my suppressor demo guns. Luckily the company helps out with part of the cost.

If you're building from from scratch I have two Xmark pro factory triggers for sale.
    PM or email me.

Yes, I know the bipod a are backwards. That's how they fit in my safe.

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    I too am a bit confused.
    sounds like you just want to customize a gun similar to one you used to own -- which is perfectly fine.
    i am no expert on the subject -- for the money you'll spend, it will only be marginally better than the one you had previously (again, your money so that's fine).
    i would have a smith do the barreling.
    If you're also gonna get into reloading, how about considering other Calibers? Or other platforms (Savage, Sako/Tikka)?

Not similar but better. The 700 I had was an 800 yd gun on a good day. 400yd was about the best suited range with less than perfect conditions. The rifle was 629 special ordered by the local sporting goods store in Idaho. I had less than 1000 in it after scope, Leupold rings and base, and bipod. What I was told was I needed a longer barrel to get some extra muzzle velocity/stability thus improving accuracy and range(obviously when I only had the stock 20in). What I did not have in that small secluded mountain town was the income. So, with the intent of moving back I sold it and opted for a more practical 12ga for Indiana hunting laws and no knowledge of a 1000yd range in this state. Since I moved back I have started a new career and found the range. What I am doing is starting over from square one. I may just buy what I had since match .308 isn't too bad for reloading or even purchacing factory. Also reloading would make it possible to bring down the cost of larger calibers like 300 Win Mag, 7mm WSM, and 7mm Rem Mag. So that being said, I am open to suggestion on platform, caliber, barrel selection, and trigger. Thank you for the replies and sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    And yeah I know that "budget" and " long range" are rarely seen in the same sentence. The "doner"rifle would be the part I would go cheap on but I would still look for a rifle of good quality. Basically I am just using it for the receiver and if possible the stock as well. The rest will be money well spent on upper shelf components. Hopefully this is a good balance of low and higher cost parts that deliver on a great rifle that I can be happy with.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Action: $300-400
    Barrel: $300-400
    Stock: $250-crazy
    Gunsmith: $300-900 depending on how much you get done.
    Scope/Rings/base/bipod/rear bag/trigger : $650-heart attack

Bare minimun you're at $1,800 and on up from there.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not similar but better. The 700 I had was an 800 yd gun on a good day. 400yd was about the best suited range with less than perfect conditions. The rifle was 629 special ordered by the local sporting goods store in Idaho. I had less than 1000 in it after scope, Leupold rings and base, and bipod. What I was told was I needed a longer barrel to get some extra muzzle velocity/stability thus improving accuracy and range(obviously when I only had the stock 20in). What I did not have in that small secluded mountain town was the income. So, with the intent of moving back I sold it and opted for a more practical 12ga for Indiana hunting laws and no knowledge of a 1000yd range in this state. Since I moved back I have started a new career and found the range. What I am doing is starting over from square one. I may just buy what I had since match .308 isn't too bad for reloading or even purchacing factory. Also reloading would make it possible to bring down the cost of larger calibers like 300 Win Mag, 7mm WSM, and 7mm Rem Mag. So that being said, I am open to suggestion on platform, caliber, barrel selection, and trigger. Thank you for the replies and sorry for the confusion.

Longer barrels are not more accurate. They provide more velocity making them more FORGIVING. If I were in your shoe's I would buy a factory 700, good base, good rings, good scope, lots of ammo. Most offten the weakest link in that system is the shooter. The ammo will fix that, and the quality base, rings, and scope will allow you to use stuff for the duration of the rifle where ever it ends up. For instance, you may buy just what I mentioned and send a couple thousand rounds down range and realize your good enough with what you have.

What really kills the budget is when you start off buying sub par equipment, and end up having to replace it. If you start off with good stuff that is the bare essential's of making rounds go down range (gun, ammo, rings, base, scope) it allows more time to save money, and learn the sport. Then you can focus on spending your money the right way on individual items vs a whole build.

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    Like I had said in the beginning it would be over time. I've been shooting all my life and have learned a lot. I had reached the limits of my 700 and just wanted to make it a project. I'll just stick with a 700 like 42769vette had said and I'll just start off with the same rifle again. I'll keep updating as I go along. And I will have to look into a membership to the range north of Ft. Wayne if its open this time of year. How do you do get in there anyway?

Last edited:

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I think that the best barrel that you can afford is the way to go.
    Most of the high end barrel makers best match barrels are priced very close.
    Good luck

Top Bottom