• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    So, I've already go the CVA Wolf, as it was on sale.

Still have some leftover Durasight scope rings I can use.

Any recommendations for a decent budget scope?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    It depends what your budget is. I've heard Natchez has Nikon Prostaffs reconditioned for about $100. You can also get some Bushnell or Burris for around that price as well. Personally all I have on any of my rifles is Nikon. With the exception of my 22. It has a $40 Bushnell. I have always felt that, for the money, it's hard to beat Nikon.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    while a budget is fine, get the best scope you can afford. it will be well worth it for early morning/late evening shots, days when most scopes fog up, etc etc.

As my dad told me when i was growing up...Only a rich man can afford to buy a cheap scope.

Im using the Leupold Ultimate Slam scope and love it! def worth a look if you can swing it.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Hickman- I've been using a Simmons pro diamond 4x shotgun scope on my muzzleloader for 4 yrs.,happy with it. 75yd[i think] paralax setting, made to handle recoil,pretty compact.Think it was $59 at wallyworld back then. Holds it's zero, bright and clear image.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I might be in the minority here but all of my hunting rifles have Bushnell Banners and have had great results.

On my TC Omega I use the 2-7X36 mm. I can get 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Pulled it back out this year and it needed zero adjustments.

On my 20 gauge 870 and new .44 mag I have the 1.75-4X32mm circle X with 6 inches of eye relief and it has been awesome.

For me, I am just looking for something that gets good groups...somewhat clear optics to hunt deer with. I haven't paid more than 79.00 for any of them and have taken deer with each shot.

There was a good writeup in the Nov field and stream and the banner got good very good rankings. I would prefer a Nikon but I miss out on the really good deals on them and i have outfitted two gun for the price of 1 nikon scope.

Hurteau Tests Deer Hunting Scopes for Under $100 | Field & Stream

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Im using the Leupold Ultimate Slam scope and love it! def worth a look if you can swing it.

I had on of those on my CVA Accura, great scope and probably the one I will use when put together a CVA Apex for next season.

This gun/scope will be for me to get thru this season, then give to the boy for his deer gun.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had on of those on my CVA Accura, great scope and probably the one I will use when put together a CVA Apex for next season.

This gun/scope will be for me to get thru this season, then give to the boy for his deer gun.

little late to be getting a ML put together isnt it? season starts tomorrow, haha

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Okay, I'm not trying to be a smart ass...

But why not just use the open sights that came with the rifle?

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Wal mart has 2 different ML scopes, one is a bushnell and comes with rings and everything you need for $50 If I remember right, thats what I put on my wolf. They also have another but I cant remember the brand but I know it has the red and green light up reticles

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Wal mart has 2 different ML scopes, one is a bushnell and comes with rings and everything you need for $50 If I remember right, thats what I put on my wolf. They also have another but I cant remember the brand but I know it has the red and green light up reticles

for whatever reason, the Walmart here didn't order any scopes... guns and binocs, but no scopes...

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Hickman- I've been using a Simmons pro diamond 4x shotgun scope on my muzzleloader for 4 yrs.,happy with it. 75yd[i think] paralax setting, made to handle recoil,pretty compact.Think it was $59 at wallyworld back then. Holds it's zero, bright and clear image.

I actually have the same scope on an older muzzleloader that I used for several years and it works great for a cheapie.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Ive seen a Leupold 3x9x40 on sale at BassPro for 169.00,or just get a Nikon. both good glass. Save time and money ,pull one off one of your other guns. Thats what I usually do. I have an Omega and a Bushmaster Varmiter that I swap scopes between.
    Funny thing about the swap is theres only a 1 clip adjustment between both guns at 100 yds.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'm more than happy with the Centerpoint 2-7x32 from Walmart. Its only $68.

In a perfect world, we would all have are hunting rigs together well before season starts; however, we live in the real world where work, family, and budget constraints sometimes dictate otherwise.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I just sprang for two Nikon Omega 3X9X40 scopes. With rings and bases, $569! One for the wife is the polished aluminum, to go with her stainless T/C Encore Pro Hunter Endeavor (which is going under the tree! ;) ) and a blued one for my T/C Encore 209X50 Magnum.

Not enough time to get it all together for this season so we are using open sights till December 18! ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    lol Skip, the title of the thread is "budget muzzleloading"! :D

I've got less in my whole setup than the cost of one Omega! ;)

Happy hunting to all!

Top Bottom