• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbhummer2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    north central IN
    Yesterday morning I lost a dog of 12yrs also. he lost about 10lbs in 2 weeks. took him in,and they took an x-ray. and his longs were just covered with cancer. had to let him go. Ingo has helped me take my mind off of things...Sorry to hijack the thread. just when I read the post,made me think of old Petie. ok,back to the original thread.

Not a problem. Sorry to hear the news. I know the felling.

17Chap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Good posts here.

My suggestion is put the stuff that needs to stay dry in water resistant bags. Zip locks can work. Put these in stuff sacks with other items you are likely to use together. Get a surplus poncho that can cover the whole thing, if needed. A good pack will have drain holes cause it is nigh on impossible to keep the water out and it will keep your goodies packed like the above dryer if they don't lie in water.

Thanks for starting the post! :yesway:

Jess

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would suggest getting alice pack liners at your local military surplus. Usually they run 8-10 bucks. I have never had an issue with my stuff getting wet. You can also get a rain fly for almost any size pack at campmor.com.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I had fairly good luck with garbage bags. I would imagine the heavier-mil lawn/leaf bags work even better nowadays. For open-compartment packs, I would pack my spare clothing, etc. in one bag; my snacks & other items in the other bag. The pack tended to keep the plastic bags whole and watertight.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ziplock...its not just for bacon anymore!
    you are very right. 1 gallon ziplock bags rock!
    I had fairly good luck with garbage bags. I would imagine the heavier-mil lawn/leaf bags work even better nowadays. For open-compartment packs, I would pack my spare clothing, etc. in one bag; my snacks & other items in the other bag. The pack tended to keep the plastic bags whole and watertight.
    I have tried the 1 large bag route...
    Not for me. I know people who prefer that way though... :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I purchased some of the giant sized ziplock bags from Bass Pro from the camping section if I remember correctly. I got a thing of 3 different sized bags and used them when I went to traing to keep the dust out mainly but worked against water as well. They tend to get roughed up after a while but lasted the two weeks I used and abused them. YMMV!

Top Bottom