• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Hey guys I'm on to bug out bags now. I've been looking at a lot of products and initially i was just going to go with an external frame ALICE, but I wanted to get some feedback first. I really want something i could pack a weeks worth of supplies in.

Difference between external frame and internal? not sure which one to go with.

i was looking at this jansport bag that looks pretty good for the price though: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M0O85U/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon.com: JanSport Trail Series Carson Backpack: Clothing[/ame]

please let me know what you think. thank you

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    The Alice packs with external frames are nice, but I know a lot of fellow soldiers that were in the afgan that had critical failures with the frames. Personally I like bags that are more compartmentalized. I find it easier to keep things organized. I have two bug out bags (one for me and one for the wife) my bag is an S.O. Tech Mission Pack Expedition. It is a bag specially designed for Green Berets Medics. My wifes bag dis a BlackHawk Combat Medic bag that I used in the military. What ever you choose just try to judge whether it will fit your needs, as that can be much harder than it seems.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As has been said in other places (by other folks than me) FIRST decide what you need to carry, then buy a bag to fit. Rule-of-thumb for backpackers is a max of about 20-30% of body weight. Infantry troops routinely carry 150+ in their packs, but their knees, hips, and backs suffer for it. Quite a bit of your perception of "needs" will depend upon how well you are prepared to travel/"live off the land". A guy I talked to recently has a small bag of essentials that is his "emergency survival pack". I haven't seen it, but his description puts it at about bread-loaf size and maybe five pounds. The key is that he knows how to use all of it and he knows how to supplement it, so he can get along with less.

Me, I've always been a kitchen-sink sort of packer, but I've only had to carry stuff across a flight line to an aircraft, not hump it for miles. I know how to survive on less, but I haven't practiced it, so I carry what I think will make me "comfortable" - but I've probably not got enough stuff I NEED, and too much "fluff".

If you're planning on a "week's worth" of supplies - you probably mean food and water, plus shelter, extra socks, extra clothing, etc. Your biggest load will be food - you can't carry enough water for a week of activity.

I've had literally dozens of packs of various sizes over the years. JanSport is about the low end of the quality spectrum for civilian-built packs. Kelty or Lowe Mountain Sports are better brands if you insist upon a civilian pack. If "style" doesn't matter, check the web for surplus packs. Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper-Than-Dirt can give you some ideas. Military packs from US or European countries tend to be sturdy and durable. Depending upon what style you choose, they can even be roomy.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    +1 to what Blackhawk2001 said about deciding what you'll need. A BoB should be the grab and go kind of thing where it is just what is absolutely necessary and you are getting the F out of Dodge. Cash, pistol, ammo, flashlight, road map, extra pre-paid cellphone & charger, knife and then maybe the seasonal things like an extra pair of socks, hand warmers or gloves, sun screen or bug repellent... Some people say you have one of these and then pack another larger bag for the extra stuff like a week's worth of clothing, toilet paper, water and stuff like Ramon Noodles or MREs.

It's expensive but I bought: Diamondback Tactical® Escape & Evasion Bag - Diamondback Tactical – U.S. manufacturer of tactical gear, ballistic body armor, plates and protective apparel

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    thanks for your thoughts guys. I have heard good things about the mil surplus bags, but I wasn't sure which one to go with exactly. I will continue to do research on this subject. any more info would be much appreciated.:coffee:

Top Bottom