• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Great post. I have just recently been introduced to the BOB by one of my friends, and am anxious to compile one of my own. Great reference material. Thanks

Just remember think what situations you could likely be in and what your options are based on your family, their health and ages. Think off all your situations and decide witch one are bug in or bug out...I have a large family, a mother with cancer...so mostly I plan to bug in...no matter the the situation...if I have to go to plan b and bug out it is really bad.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    attachment.php

Main compartment:
    -Sleeping bag, compact 30* model
    -Grand turk hammock, lightweight Camo.
    -Camo coveralls
    -undies
    -lightweight skins
    -Tomahawk SOG
    -Primus Omnifuel stove w/fuel bottle
    -Food- Ramen, rice meals, jerky, spices, oil
    -canteen/cup
    -TP, baby wipes
    -inner pocket
    22lr ammo
    money/valuables
    Lighter
    Tinder box
    Flash drive with info
    skinning knife
    -Bladder pocket 4l waterbeast

Top pocket
    -3 color headlamp-aaa batteries
    -Solar charger/battery pack
    -usb battery charger aaa/aa
    -8 aa, 6aaa rechargeable batteries
    -6 RCR123A Lipo rechargeable batteries/charger
    -Aimpoint, LRF and Sparc batteries
    -GPS
    -Compass
    -Otis cleaning kit for all weapons
    -Drink mixes
    -drop money

Front of top pouch:
    -6 mag shingle with 6-30 round AR mags

Lower pocket:
    -Katadyn water filter-hiker pro with bladder quick connects and spares
    -Fishing rod
    -fishing tackle
    -Bladder cleaning kits

attachment.php

Front of lower pocket:
    -Tool carrier pouch
    -utensils
    -spare parts
    -tinfoil
    -map holder
    -fire starters-3
    -inner tube
    -tywraps
    -nail clippers
    -small tools
    -can/bottle opener
    -field guides
    -knife sharpener

Front of pouch:
    -Admin pouch
    -documents
    -flashlight
    -leadfarmer patch(coming)

Bottom Pouch
    -mess kit
    -travel microfiber towel
    -siphon hose
    -tarp
    -Shemagh
    -extra straps
    -Paracord 100'
    -ponchos

attachment.php

Left side top pouch:
    -16 shotgun shells-mixed

Left side bottom pouch:
    -Adventure medical trauma kit(enhanced quite a bit)
    -Meds- pain,flagil,cephalaxin,fever,multivitamins,stims
    -Socks
    -Purell, too many uses to list
    -tooth care

attachment.php

Right side pouches:
    -remington 870 in scabbard. Express 7 shot with folding stock
    -padded pouch Phone, wet notes, pens
    -Blackhawk TaTang in custom made Kydex sheath

Under straps:
    -Bedroll, inflatable
    -Rope, 3/8ths camo 200'
    -Figure 9 rope holders
    -2 double enders for placement purposes

Front:
    -Hydrolink big bite hydration hose
    -5.11 watch

Gear changes by the season. Once fall hits, a backpacking tent replaces the hammock and more gloves and hats are added, along with long undies. This was designed with driving to my alternate location in mind. It's a one tank trip from my front door on a bad day, with a 5000# trailer. Opsec precludes mentioning quantities and some items.

Each family member has their own bag for "Camping" and we use them quite often when drive up camping. If you don't use it very often, you will forget what's there and waste precious time mucking about in the bag. Each family member has these items in their bag:
    Clothes, Mess kit, water container(bladder or bottle depending on age), headlamp, spare batteries, whistle, compass, chem lights, cordage,knife, zip ties, rain gear, towel, personal care items, toys, book, bed roll. Each member carries a community item or two in their bag, Etool, tarp, food, Binocs, ammo.

Each family member has a(n) appropriate firearm(s) for their age and skill level.

Food is in a separate bag with cooking containers and such.

I carry the bag with me anytime I travel out of the state or more than 50 miles from my home. I keep a small accessory bag in the truck as well. It's my daily little goody bag with some emergency items and the things you just tend to need every once in a while. Cordage, small first aid kit, backup flashlight, batteries, spare bulb, surgical gloves, wet wipes, 1 liter of water, eating utensils, straws, aspirin, tylenol, Imodium, splint, ace bandage, kleenex, hemo's, medical sheers, spare mags, note pad, pens, pencils, toothpicks, dental floss, docs, in this bag:

OPMOD PAC Bag - Personal Articles Carrier Bag FREE S&H OPMOD-1STGREEN, OPMOD-1STBLACK. OPMOD Gun Cases.
    opplanet-opmod-personal-articles-carrier-bag-1stgreen-v2.jpg

I restock the bag the first of the month.

Great bag...love the clothes pins...always have clothes pins.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I don't know if this has been covered and I'm just starting out. Is it a good idea to stock up on baby wipes as a replacement for TP.

I know from experience that baby wipes do dry out after a year or so.....even if the plastic box remains wrapped in plastic.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I keep a number of survival items in my computer bag. I generally forget what is there because I don't inventory it that often. Bit me in the butt this weekend when my primary flashlight battery quit on me. My AA battery stash was dead and I forgot to look in my computer bag - where I had another flashlight. Lesson learned.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Okay, I think its time to put my 2 cents in here.

I've got 6 years military but before that I did Search and Rescue and went through a week long survival school. As some have mentioned, weight is a big concern as is space. Big knifes, machetes and the like are a good thought, and I used to carry both, well, over that course and the years of actual missions afterwards, I have yet to come across a situation where I needed that nice big Ka-Bar or machete etc. More times than not, it was either not used or in the way. I would say that roughly 95% of all the times I used a knife, it could be with a 3in blade. A 3in blade is just long enough to do most anything you will stumble into.

I second your 2 cents so does that make 4 cents?

I have been researching doing a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail and boy is it enlightening. Actually trying to hike around the woods with a 40 pound pack made me reconsider how much stuff I was willing to leave out of my bug out bag. The rule of thumb I heard was that a pack should weigh no more than 1/5 your body weight. So for me that's under 33lbs.

The Main Items in my pack are:
    Sleeping System
    1 person tent
    Tarp
    Sleeping Pad
    Sleeping Bag

Cooking System
    Jetboil

Water Purification System/ Storage
    2 Liter Camelbak
    Katadyn Vario Water Filter
    Spare Filter
    Cleaning kit
    Purification Tablets (backup)

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is an LA police Gear 3 day pack all stacked up with add ons.

attachment.php

Main compartment:
    -Sleeping bag, compact 30* model
    -Grand turk hammock, lightweight Camo.
    -Camo coveralls
    -undies
    -lightweight skins
    -Tomahawk SOG
    -Primus Omnifuel stove w/fuel bottle
    -Food- Ramen, rice meals, jerky, spices, oil
    -canteen/cup
    -TP, baby wipes
    -inner pocket
    22lr ammo
    money/valuables
    Lighter
    Tinder box
    Flash drive with info
    skinning knife
    -Bladder pocket 4l waterbeast

Top pocket
    -3 color headlamp-aaa batteries
    -Solar charger/battery pack
    -usb battery charger aaa/aa
    -8 aa, 6aaa rechargeable batteries
    -6 RCR123A Lipo rechargeable batteries/charger
    -Aimpoint, LRF and Sparc batteries
    -GPS
    -Compass
    -Otis cleaning kit for all weapons
    -Drink mixes
    -drop money

Front of top pouch:
    -6 mag shingle with 6-30 round AR mags

Lower pocket:
    -Katadyn water filter-hiker pro with bladder quick connects and spares
    -Fishing rod
    -fishing tackle
    -Bladder cleaning kits

attachment.php

Front of lower pocket:
    -Tool carrier pouch
    -utensils
    -spare parts
    -tinfoil
    -map holder
    -fire starters-3
    -inner tube
    -tywraps
    -nail clippers
    -small tools
    -can/bottle opener
    -field guides
    -knife sharpener

Front of pouch:
    -Admin pouch
    -documents
    -flashlight
    -leadfarmer patch(coming)

Bottom Pouch
    -mess kit
    -travel microfiber towel
    -siphon hose
    -tarp
    -Shemagh
    -extra straps
    -Paracord 100'
    -ponchos

attachment.php

Left side top pouch:
    -16 shotgun shells-mixed

Left side bottom pouch:
    -Adventure medical trauma kit(enhanced quite a bit)
    -Meds- pain,flagil,cephalaxin,fever,multivitamins,stims
    -Socks
    -Purell, too many uses to list
    -tooth care

attachment.php

Right side pouches:
    -remington 870 in scabbard. Express 7 shot with folding stock
    -padded pouch Phone, wet notes, pens
    -Blackhawk TaTang in custom made Kydex sheath

Under straps:
    -Bedroll, inflatable
    -Rope, 3/8ths camo 200'
    -Figure 9 rope holders
    -2 double enders for placement purposes

Front:
    -Hydrolink big bite hydration hose
    -5.11 watch

Gear changes by the season. Once fall hits, a backpacking tent replaces the hammock and more gloves and hats are added, along with long undies. This was designed with driving to my alternate location in mind. It's a one tank trip from my front door on a bad day, with a 5000# trailer. Opsec precludes mentioning quantities and some items.

Each family member has their own bag for "Camping" and we use them quite often when drive up camping. If you don't use it very often, you will forget what's there and waste precious time mucking about in the bag. Each family member has these items in their bag:
    Clothes, Mess kit, water container(bladder or bottle depending on age), headlamp, spare batteries, whistle, compass, chem lights, cordage,knife, zip ties, rain gear, towel, personal care items, toys, book, bed roll. Each member carries a community item or two in their bag, Etool, tarp, food, Binocs, ammo.

Each family member has a(n) appropriate firearm(s) for their age and skill level.

Food is in a separate bag with cooking containers and such.

I carry the bag with me anytime I travel out of the state or more than 50 miles from my home. I keep a small accessory bag in the truck as well. It's my daily little goody bag with some emergency items and the things you just tend to need every once in a while. Cordage, small first aid kit, backup flashlight, batteries, spare bulb, surgical gloves, wet wipes, 1 liter of water, eating utensils, straws, aspirin, tylenol, Imodium, splint, ace bandage, kleenex, hemo's, medical sheers, spare mags, note pad, pens, pencils, toothpicks, dental floss, docs, in this bag:

OPMOD PAC Bag - Personal Articles Carrier Bag FREE S&H OPMOD-1STGREEN, OPMOD-1STBLACK. OPMOD Gun Cases.
    opplanet-opmod-personal-articles-carrier-bag-1stgreen-v2.jpg

I restock the bag the first of the month.

My backpack and in today. It is the 3 day pack from LA Police Gear. What kind of things do people hoot to the molle straps?

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Hey all you preppers, got a question how much of your equpment do u buy for example how many wool blankets or medical gear, im just one person but i have 24 in my family bu they arnt preppers or belive in the end so how much gear is needed,

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Hey all you preppers, got a question how much of your equpment do u buy for example how many wool blankets or medical gear, im just one person but i have 24 in my family bu they arnt preppers or belive in the end so how much gear is needed,

It may not be practical to buy everything needed for 24 people. I have extended family that aren't preppers but I'm not planning to provide for all of them. Basically, I'm just preparing for myself, my wife and our two kids. Although I do have some extra for family that might show up on our doorstep if things get bad.

Beyond the physical things you can buy like blankets and medicine, a really important part of prepping is knowledge and training. The approach I take is to try and educate my extended family as much as possible so they are aware of what they can do to prepare. If they choose not to, then that's their choice. If they want to be better prepared, then I will help them learn how to prepare. That being said, I'm still learning myself and trying to be better prepared for my immediate family.

How many people are in your immediate family?

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've read somewhere that there will be a bugout bag topic meeting at Indiana Self Defense next Tuesday the 18th. Anyone planning on going?

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood

I agree with Justin, it's very hard to help those who can't be bothered to help themselves. Survivalblog had a great article on the subject talking about your options in that case. 1 take them all in and hope the emergency is short- 2. Have a care package you can hand out to them as they come- 3. Sorry about your luck.

2 is your biggest problem because now people outside your group know you have needed food. Hungry people do desperate things.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Thanks, ill definelty be buying a few items in bulk like meds and food and my favorite ammo, blankets get a few but my family think im crazy, so we will see who survives,

jacob.white27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Spencer, In
    if the crap hits the fan as a combat life saver in the military I learn a great way of plugging bullet wounds long enough to get medical treatment...tampons...haha yes tampons...they work great for the women and bullet holes... I actually have 2 in my bug out rig. I figure if it is coming to the point of actually bugging out the bullets will eventually be flying and well at least I know I can plug a hole for a while

Top Bottom