• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Couple places. Parents have a retirement lake house down in TN. Really secluded. If we are talking global pandemic, I am driving to the southern coast and sailing to a self sustaining island in the Caribbean.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I have two bug out places. They are at my parents' homes and about 50+ miles. I take the kids to help in the garden and someday hope they learn canning and how to raise chickens too.
    But for most situations I'll be staying put. I would only make the journey for something like an EMP, for example, that the damage will last a long time or if it is very extensive.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Report back if you do.

Just a coastal sailor myself, no bluewater yet. It takes some skills to do that safely.
    What are you sailing in? What do you think it would take to take a crew of say 10 people down to the caribbean safely (besides a captain that knows what they're doing)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Largest boat I have sailed was a 26 ft Macgregor 26x. Cheaply made, not a sea worthy boat, but ok for calm coastal sailing. Its more about the design and build quality vs the size. Been sailing all my life and would not try this without some bluewater training. I think I could get by if I had too but getting by is not my style.

Caribbean islands are small tightly knit communities and would hold fast against outsiders IMO. I think they would be on you like a Somali pirate.

DurangoUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Not exactly... but I'm looking at some property out of state in a few areas. May consider a cache or something but checking in on it regularly or building improvements probably wont happen for a looooooong time. I have a few friends in the area and I'd let a of my more responsible friends hunt on it and report back. Id probably make a run out to it every other month to take a look. Might try to figure out how to stick a solar panel powered camera with something to upload the images so I can check in from time to time. Biggest concern would probably be illegal loggers after that poachers.

These would all be well over 50 miles away so not likely to make it in all out 100% grid down without rule of law type deals. Bridges over big rivers that aren't fordable will likely become choke points to be avoided. But with a decent warning of about a day or so.... no problem. So I'm also looking at something a little closer but most IN land seems to be fairly expensive compared to other states so we shall see.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    What does everyone consider when choosing a location? When I thought about it, I consider seclusion, security, and resources available. This is assuming that there would be no way of today's civilization repairing itself and complete "every man for himself" mentality.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Currently checking out a 40 acre wooded lot, calling it my " getting away from it all, oasis" if I buy it and put up a "shack".
    It's not too far from where I live. My home is in middle of town and not too viable if TSHTF.

Thatguythere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Monrovia,In
    I'm currently on 5acres with a 2acre stocked pond. It sounds like a great place, but I'm about 150yatds from a major interstate. My place is easily seen from it. I want to find a place to go in the event of society break down. I kind of feel like all my greatest assets are also my greatest liabilities.
    The wife and I have discussed getting a place "away from it all", keeping up with it has been the major derrant at this time. Thanks for all your input.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Such talk is nonsense. Your "bug out" location is your current residence. Don't be an Internet gun bubba.

Depends on where your current residence is and what type it is.

Not having contingencies in place is plain stupid.

I sell insurance, guess what? Houses actually burn. Nature happens that's real life shtf and more likely than Ebola.

That being said, I have clothes and supplies stashed at more rural locations than I am currently at, as well as locally. Beyond that I have a crew of guys that would provide me and my family anything we needed.

Top Bottom