• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I see pros and cons. It would accommodate you and your family well and would traverse rough terrain well. It could carry enough fuel for a longer trip than most motor vehicles.

On the other hand, it would stand out very badly announcing your presence to people you would probably not want to notice you and has the standard vulnerabilities associated with rubber tires.

I am not sure how difficult parts are to come by for such a creature. It would depend in part on how old it is and also the communication available at the time you are buying. There are a lot of things that were 'rare' or hard to come by prior to the internet which now seem available on every street corner, and conversely little pockets of NOS that have dried up thanks to such comprehensive communication. Your mileage may vary.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The plus side is its more than likely a multi fuel. Could run on on just about any oil, transmission fluid, or fuel in it. I think some diesels are way overlooked in the aspect of using about anything for fuel.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I see pros and cons. It would accommodate you and your family well and would traverse rough terrain well. It could carry enough fuel for a longer trip than most motor vehicles.

On the other hand, it would stand out very badly announcing your presence to people you would probably not want to notice you and has the standard vulnerabilities associated with rubber tires.

I am not sure how difficult parts are to come by for such a creature. It would depend in part on how old it is and also the communication available at the time you are buying. There are a lot of things that were 'rare' or hard to come by prior to the internet which now seem available on every street corner, and conversely little pockets of NOS that have dried up thanks to such comprehensive communication. Your mileage may vary.

I was thinking the same, spare parts on the reliability aspect and the size and speed as well as the tire issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It would have many pluses as I see it.
    A few downsides but nothing we mere mortals can own would be a perfect rig.
    Just the size would put you in the winners circle in any vehicular altercations.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I dont know, i see why itd be a good idea but for me it screams Rob me! I have plent of food water and ammo! And i dont have enough guys in my bug out scenario to secure a truck that size for very long. Id have to pass on it as a bug out truck

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    That would be awesome! Go for it.

...just remember to have a couple jeeps, atvs, etc., to scout the area around you and recon waaaaay out front before big daddy rolls through.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I could see it being a good Command and Control truck, would need some comms, maybe a extendable antenna array. Could haul a mule trailer with fuel, water and supplies. Need a few scout and patrol vehicles to support it.. Rolling armada.. lol

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It looks perfect, if there is need to ever "bug out" there should be plenty of fuel available at reasonable prices everywhere you may wish to travel to and there will be plenty of space on the roads for a vehicle that size to move through. If not you can just crash your way through thousands of other vehicles until you reach your destination. Where exactly does the OP plan on bugging out to? Why do people who start these bug out threads never give even vague information on where they plan on bugging out to and what they plan on doing when displacing whoever is already there when they arrive?

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    No thank you. That thing is monsterous and unwieldy. I'd hate to have to maneuver in close quarters with that thing. Or have to take a sharp turn. Not to mention that this thing would be a sitting duck. Give me a Tacoma PRO/TRD outfitted for bugging out instead.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It looks perfect, if there is need to ever "bug out" there should be plenty of fuel available at reasonable prices everywhere you may wish to travel to and there will be plenty of space on the roads for a vehicle that size to move through. If not you can just crash your way through thousands of other vehicles until you reach your destination. Where exactly does the OP plan on bugging out to? Why do people who start these bug out threads never give even vague information on where they plan on bugging out to and what they plan on doing when displacing whoever is already there when they arrive?

1st.....I will never share my final destination plans. This is between us and those we will meet at those locations.
    2nd....The OP's question was basically opinions on the viability of this rig as a bug out vehicle.
    3rd....Depending on reasons for bugging out destinations change. Routes change. Folks you plan to meet up with may have issues getting there. In our plans hope no one else besides those expected are there. Could get really ugly.....:dunno:
    4th...One has to plan on fuel consumption and having ample on board before "Bugging" out.
    5th...Smile....this is all hypothetical anyway.
    6th...Myself, I would not opt for it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

If it is private property where you belong and they don't, well, they have some explaining to do and choices to make...very quickly.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

IF bugging out buying fuel won't be easy or at reasonable prices, not sure how someone would think that.

The open roads, outside major metropolitan areas may be open. I don't think any big cities would be easy to get out of. But luckily for me I do not live in a major city.

Crashing through other vehicles would only be a last ditch effort to escape and evade.

As to where I am bugging out, I'd never share my plans with anyone outside of my group. It's called OPSEC... But as a generalization this particular vehicle is being considered by a client for a 1400 or so mile trek from somewhere in Indiana to somewhere in Montana..

No one will be "displaced" in the bug out location, it's a rather large compound known only to it's group members but thanks for the concern, they would surely appreciate it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Not this one. The 900 series 5-tons with the cummins engines and automatic transmissions were gutless wonders that had trouble going uphill, empty, on the highways of korea. If you must get a milsup vehicle, get either a 35 series 2 1/2 ton with a multi-fuel engine, or an 800 series 5 ton with a multi-fuel engine. Both are relatively maintenance free and almost impossible to stop.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Not this one. The 900 series 5-tons with the cummins engines and automatic transmissions were gutless wonders that had trouble going uphill, empty, on the highways of korea. If you must get a milsup vehicle, get either a 35 series 2 1/2 ton with a multi-fuel engine, or an 800 series 5 ton with a multi-fuel engine. Both are relatively maintenance free and almost impossible to stop.

Thank you for the information. I have done some more research and discovered the information you mentioned. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom