Bug Out Vehicles Pics, Some Cool, Some Practical…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I want to see more interior shots…
    @tim87tr did you purchase the van fitted out, or do it yourself?
    The upfit is by a company called Vandoit in Blue Springs, MO (east side KC). This model is called a LIV and they have one other model that is more open called a DO. https://vandoit.com/the-vandoit-van/packages/liv/

They have a long sales and rental relationship with Ford and the upfit is approved by them (to avoid warranty issues). The company receives the vans to upfit and is currently featured as an upfitter in the new 2023 Transit Trail. It's 80/20 aluminum extrusion inside skeleton, bolted to factory bolt holes, that items can attach to. Just cleaned it out after a trip so pics show more. One pic is missing the fold down table above the freezer/fridge chest as I'm replacing it with a hard maple counter that folds down with the same hinges and ratchet straps at the top of the extrusion.

Works great for us and our travel and outdoor lifestyle. Storage somewhat limited is the only slight, which is really an inherent part of the van platform. Getting the travel item list dialed in better after a year. Going to add a ROAM travel box on top for items I don't use regularly, such as recovery equipment and tools. My list of Pros in additon to Freedom!......

1. Mastervolt electrical system, marine grade wiring, 400a Lithium, 100 amp/hr charging from dual alternators. 200 watt solar panel on top considered "trickle" at a max of 10 amp/hr. We use an induction burner and a ninja foodie a lot, expecially the pressure cook function which is only 1100 watts. Front light bar is great off road and there's three smaller LED lights on each side for camping.

2. Laveo dry flush toilet has been great, no black tank:thumbsup:
    3. No gray tank and water lines and pump inside van, not hidden under a floor (freezing).
    4. No water tank under rig. Utilizes 5 gal water jugs that can be filled up with filtered water at these Glacier brand type water stations. Also a 10 gal tank inside with a 2.5 gal water heater. Usually carry 4 or 5 jugs water plus the 10 gal is 30 to 35 gal water. Can set up an external shower between rear doors and there's also an Evershower that can set up internal. Been using Planet Fitness on trips and their showers, $25/mo!

5. Van body is on a Ford truck 350 SRW chassis and ride is good up front for what it is. Configuration allows a 3, 2 and 1 person rear seats but I covered over the holes with flooring as we're on our own adventure :). Bed end towards front flips up to add the 2 and one person seat, if you have the 4 inch folding mattress that comes with the van. Shown in earlier pic and on their website. We have a full size 13" queen and may go to 10" mattress now that we've added E bikes, for headroom above bed.

I like the AWD and believe +2 KO2 tires. Think they're 31s, stock 29. 3.5 ecoboost is great. Also being a passenger van, you have rear air and heat. Insulated covers with pockets on windows are handy. Had a body color wrap on rear windows which is great for privacy (one way in daytime), along with insulated window covers which mostly stay on except the sliding door. Rear windows factory heavy tint also.

6. Price which you will ask. XLT awd loaded 1 ton high roof vans probably low 60s (they supply) and upfits like this around 60. The front bumper and winch were added later. Think they have newer pricing schedule and some additional options to add to their standard packages since I bought in Fall of 2021. I just missed the Dometic DC powered AC which will run 7 or 8 hours vs half that with our regular unit. I rarely use it off grid as we seek out weather where its not needed, plus I'll idle the van often. May use it plugged in at families home and will eventually upgrade to the DC unit.

I'll include pictures of the stock mattress and bed end fold-up plus the original flooring with rear seat holes. Cargo divider with pockets is nice. Has Espar gas heater you can see in little black box on drivers side in front of the big green inverter. PXL_20211028_225454199.jpg PXL_20211028_225356176~2.jpg PXL_20211028_225402197~2.jpg
    PXL_20211028_225411210.jpg PXL_20211028_225416789.jpg

Last edited:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Looks nice, but no way DoggyMama would go for it. She's claustrophobic and I think she'd freak in that.
    Yea I've talked to so many people with that story and that's ok. We looked at a lot of overland type rigs at the Overland East show in Virginia in 2019. There's a West show in CO I think. Looked at RVs prior to that but with a decade of Jeep trips (not nearly enough) out West, this fit our needs. We avoid regular camping areas unless they're beautiful as some are, or out of necessity in bad weather conditions.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yea I've talked to so many people with that story and that's ok. We looked at a lot of overland type rigs at the Overland East show in Virginia in 2019. There's a West show in CO I think. Looked at RVs prior to that but with a decade of Jeep trips (not nearly enough) out West, this fit our needs. We avoid regular camping areas unless they're beautiful as some are, or out of necessity in bad weather conditions.
    Our background is tent/boat camping. Never tried overlanding, but we would just take our pontoon to Monroe, find a spot on shore and set up camp. We didn't skimp on comfort. For 2 of us, our tent was always at least 10x15', which gave us enough room to set up our camping table and a couple of camp chairs inside if the weather turned bad. We have a stand for our queen sized air mattress that could be made up like a regular bed. Now we're getting too old to haul all that crap. :):

Top Bottom