• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    [video=youtube;HWjqn3ZpqoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjqn3ZpqoM&t=26s[/video]

Good video. As an old infantry guy I have to say that one liter of water isn't very much for a 24 hour period. Especially if you are doing any type of physical activity during that time. I guess refilling the water bottle is a possibility if you find a clean source or can boil it or filter it. Water is heavy but it is also very important. Way more important than food if your just looking at a 24 hour time frame. She mentioned freeze dried food. Keep in mind that type of food would also cut into your water supply.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Side note: I have several empty packs around so we can fill them with bullets/food/water/clothes in a hurry if need be. Both of our family vehicles contain a full case of water and basic essentials (fire starter,flashlights, etc.)at all times. These have come in handy even when not in a "survival" situation. MAKE SURE YOU ARE PLANNING FOR YOUR FAMILY AS WELL! Children especially!

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Keeping tabs on the kids' spare clothing is a challenge; my old shoes work well for my kits, but they outgrow shoes in a few months, it seems, nevermind their pants, etc.

It is probably idealistic to be fully prepared if you have kids, since you'd need to have enough resources in each vehicle for every member of your family (even if you're just having to hoof it home from across town)

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    Contractor grade trash bags. Not the thin ones we use at home but the heavy duty ones. I have a couple in every bag. They weigh almost nothing and they can be used for a variety of things. Cut holes in it and wear it like a poncho, lay it on the ground as a moisture barrier to sleep, carry multiple items (even heavy ones), transport water in a pinch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Contractor grade trash bags. Not the thin ones we use at home but the heavy duty ones. I have a couple in every bag. They weigh almost nothing and they can be used for a variety of things. Cut holes in it and wear it like a poncho, lay it on the ground as a moisture barrier to sleep, carry multiple items (even heavy ones), transport water in a pinch.

Good call! They make good liners for your packs and duffle bags too.

Also, a few gallon and quart size zip top freezer bags are very handy. You can keep stuff dry or keep it wet. You can keep it clean, or keep other stuff from getting dirty. You can carry water, purify it in the sun, and use it as an improvise magnifier. You can also snip a hole in a corner to use it as improvised syringe to irrigate wounds with clean water.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I keep a separate bag for medical supplies for the group. I have a lot of items and some that I'm not trained on (suture kits particularly), I may not leave a pretty scar but if I can stop the bleeding that is a win.

If you're in the field I think it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We have these in the totes. They are multi-use as you say. They are perfect to break the wind or makeshift raincoats.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I keep a separate bag for medical supplies for the group. I have a lot of items and some that I'm not trained on (suture kits particularly), I may not leave a pretty scar but if I can stop the bleeding that is a win.

If you're in the field I think it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You never know when you'll meet someone who can suture, but doesn't have the supplies.

Simple interrupted suturing isn't tough if you have a good teacher and some practice. An important piece to go with it is knowing when you should and when you should not suture something.

Some wounds and wound locations make suturing more challenging, though, especially if it's deep and you need to pack the wound in addition. That's last resort, no hospital available stuff that requires more skill, more experience, and really good judgement.

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    BUG bags are a fun hobby. Mine are loaded out for get home/General emergency use. The thing I use more than anything though are wipes/diapers (especially when you forget the diaper bag) and batteries. Always keep a couple bottles of water in your car too. You can buy a whole case at CVS for $2.22 on sale.

Top Bottom