• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i thought of the same thing. all packed up and ready to roll in the garage. just hook up to it and roll out. i almost bought something very similar at gander mountain when they had it on sale but just couldn't justify the cost at the time and now wish i had.

its definitely something nice to have and they are pretty fun to camp in anyway when you don't have the time to hike up into the woods and set up tents and what not

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We (immediate family) has 3/4 ton army trailers, big axles, same tire/rim as the big trucks, and tons of room and options. You can get a trailer for $400-$700 depending on location, they can't be beat.

I have one rigged for elk camp, wall tent, kitchen, chainsaw, bunks, water cans, firewood, etc ready to roll. The other is kept empty for overnight camping trips with the boys, or for hauling firewood, brush etc (the 3/4 ton trailers dump).

Even the small 1/4 ton army trailers fro the 60's have better frames and axles than the cheap models you find under campers today.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    We (immediate family) has 3/4 ton army trailers, big axles, same tire/rim as the big trucks, and tons of room and options. You can get a trailer for $400-$700 depending on location, they can't be beat.

I have one rigged for elk camp, wall tent, kitchen, chainsaw, bunks, water cans, firewood, etc ready to roll. The other is kept empty for overnight camping trips with the boys, or for hauling firewood, brush etc (the 3/4 ton trailers dump).

Always had my eye on one of those too... Any pictures you'd care to share?

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Good eye Keith. Like grunt, I saw one at GM and although I didn't think about buying one, I did ponder the concept of building one. Knowing how inexpensive little trailers can be found these days, I even thought of the concept of building one a little bigger than their design, for the kids and storage. In conjunction with another tent and/or other dining tent/awning (like in the pictures,) one would have a nice little bivouac area.

I see it as a great option for folks like who are stuck in the city without a lot of storage room, and can be hooked up to the car for towing.

Serious thought going into it now - Gee, thanks Keith! :spend:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Wife & I looked at those trailers @ GM w/the same idea in mind. Building a trailer would take a bit more wood-working skill than I have, but it's an intriguing idea. Thanks for posting the article.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Even the small 1/4 ton army trailers fro the 60's have better frames and axles than the cheap models you find under campers today.

The only problem I see with using the 3/4 ton military trailers is their (relatively) high CG, compared to the average tongue height of a standard pickup truck or large SUV.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wife & I looked at those trailers @ GM w/the same idea in mind. Building a trailer would take a bit more wood-working skill than I have, but it's an intriguing idea. Thanks for posting the article.

Cut, glue and screw, are about the only skills you need for a project like this. The hardest part is probably getting the doors to sit right when hinged.

Ordering the plans now for the explorer box.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I have a pop-up camper that I got last year for $500.oo.;)
    This year, I bought a 1986 15' camping trailer for $400.oo. :D
    I also have two large and one small tent if needed. (Plus a "shower tent" for the "convenience room" if nothing else is available. :rolleyes:)

Plenty of room for my whole family (and even a couple friends?).

Top Bottom