• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I'll one up your ball busting:D... I have been places in a pos tracker/sidekick that left a wrangler high and dry... :rockwoot:they're like mini hummers.

no offence, if they would start selling wranglers w/ diesels, i'd ahve one in a new york minute

There are plenty of diesel JK's around... you just have to import them :dunno:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They still have to meet EPA regs. and DOT safety codes, no? Nine times out of ten all the great diesels of the world can't be imported because they don't meet EPA regs.:xmad:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Apparently I'm not allowed to say that independent suspensions are not well suited for offroading. Or that sidekicks don't have them, they have live axles like wranglers. Or that hmmwvs suck because of their independent suspensions and weight. Cuz my post got deleted.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Not an off-road but the AWD took care of me in all snow, mud and crap on both surface and unimproved roads. I missed my AWD Toyota badly... a chick blew through a red light and hit me diagonally at 55mph last Fall.

I had done all of the maintenance myself from 65k to 235k. I had it set up inside like a VW van with bed, gear, lights and storage. I could live out of it for weeks.

kc14.jpg

kc12.jpg

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Apparently I'm not allowed to say that independent suspensions are not well suited for offroading. Or that sidekicks don't have them, they have live axles like wranglers. Or that hmmwvs suck because of their independent suspensions and weight. Cuz my post got deleted.
    ???
    Jeep Wranglers have solid front axles (SFA). Sidekicks and trackers have Independant front suspension (IFS). Are you sure you weren't thinking of the suzuki Samurai? it had an SFA.

Still not sure I follow whether you are being sarcastic or what?:)

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Perhaps even more important than the vehicle is the Tires. Be aware of the terrain you are likely to be traversing.

In indiana, if your offroad that likely means Mud.

A/T tires no matter how big the rig are likely to not get you through crap like this:

45dc9f6e.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Shame Crysler is bankrupt, maybe if they could sell some of that stuff here...I'd like one of those Renault diesels for my XJ! But no, they need to build hybrids now, and my XJ is a klunker.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Perhaps even more important than the vehicle is the Tires. Be aware of the terrain you are likely to be traversing.

In indiana, if your offroad that likely means Mud.

A/T tires no matter how big the rig are likely to not get you through crap like this:

45dc9f6e.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg
    Good point on the tires, MT's are great, only problem is the price and they wear out in no time if you spend most of your miles on road. And a worn tire is regardless of the tread pattern won't do much good in the soup. Those trails look fun. Are they on public land somewhere?

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    *shrugs* I've seen SEVERAL at badlands. And I can admit when I am wrong, I concede. Still a cold day in hell when I opt for independent suspension for offroading.

Oh no I admit IFS is just not ment to take same angles and abuse that solids are and will. I wouldnt wheel a toyota that didnt have a solid axle on it.

Octomonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Markle
    Mine isn't really suited for any sort of off roading, but if I need to get anywhere in a hurry, I have a way to do it.

It's a 2004 Pontiac GTO.

355rwhp, 370rwtq, fully upgraded suspension, including all new urethane bushings, a few other improvements, and sticky tires to top it off. :)

100_4644.jpg

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Mine isn't really suited for any sort of off roading, but if I need to get anywhere in a hurry, I have a way to do it.

It's a 2004 Pontiac GTO.

355rwhp, 370rwtq, fully upgraded suspension, including all new urethane bushings, a few other improvements, and sticky tires to top it off. :)

wol_error.gif
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x682.
    100_4644.jpg

You win, whats the point of a off roader if you cant even out run wheel zombies. Nothing like a GTO for some road work. :yesway:

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Good point on the tires, MT's are great, only problem is the price and they wear out in no time if you spend most of your miles on road. And a worn tire is regardless of the tread pattern won't do much good in the soup. Those trails look fun. Are they on public land somewhere?

These BFG's are supposedly good for 40k+ miles. we'll see.

trails are private land in southern indiana.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I have the BFG KM2's on my jeep. I am up to 6,000 miles and they are still looking great. Time for a rotation, and while I am at it I will check them with the cailpers and compare to the spare that has not touched the pavement yet.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    I have the BFG KM2's on my jeep. I am up to 6,000 miles and they are still looking great. Time for a rotation, and while I am at it I will check them with the cailpers and compare to the spare that has not touched the pavement yet.

These are the KM1's. Do yourself a favor and get them siped. $10 a tire a discount tire. The difference on wet/ icy roads is like night and day.

I'm a bit of a crazy driver, but even my *** puckers 4-wheel drifting a lifted jeep in the snow.

Top Bottom