• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Check out Four Wheelers Top Truck Challenge. You won't find a rig with tires smaller than 44" that does well. Most will have plenty of flex in their suspension and enough power to crawl over anything they need to. I'm just saying I'd rather have big tires and horsepower than 6 cylinders and 33s.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Check out Four Wheelers Top Truck Challenge. You won't find a rig with tires smaller than 44" that does well. Most will have plenty of flex in their suspension and enough power to crawl over anything they need to. I'm just saying I'd rather have big tires and horsepower than 6 cylinders and 33s.

They're also sitting just over their tires so that their COG is not very high. If you tried to crawl over the stuff the top trucks do wth the rig your building, you'd just flop over like a turtle.

3 feet deep mud, you'd win. . .

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    They're also sitting just over their tires so that their COG is not very high. If you tried to crawl over the stuff the top trucks do wth the rig your building, you'd just flop over like a turtle.

3 feet deep mud, you'd win. . .

Your right 75 percent do have a low center of gravity. Theres also some that have massive lift with those tires and higher center of gravity than mine. My blazer is about 7 1/2' tall and has a track width of 7'. It has 6" soft ride springs for plenty of flex. I don't plan on taking mine through the top truck challenge, just built it to get me through/over anything in the state that I might need to.

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    the highway system in america are good enough that you should be able to bug out with very little offroading needed even secondary road are passable with most vehicles

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    the highway system in america are good enough that you should be able to bug out with very little offroading needed even secondary road are passable with most vehicles

With Indiana having a population of over 6 million, if 1/2 were to try and leave at once, primary and secondary roads won't be an option. You'll need offroad capability. I personally don't plan on going anywhere, but knowing if I needed to is nice.

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    every body not going to leave in the same direction, I drive a lot and offroad would be slow going, if I move i'm not just taking a empty truck and a loaded vehicle dose'nt drive the same, the country side is covered with fenceline,drainage ditches ,creeks, rivers and thick woods, unless you really know all the territoryyou could end up stuck without help around. Yes there are places that a 4x4 would be helpfull but you would travel faster moving on secondary road and maybe using the offroad to find a secure camp

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Mid-January 1 1/2' snow and the SHTF. Do you think the plow truck drivers will clear your road?, I know I'm not. 2wd or even typical 4wd (stock tires no lift) your not going anywhere. Having 4wd with large tires, winch and recovery equipment gives you more options than not. If the SHTF there will be chaos on the roads.

Last edited:

ArmyMP

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Fred Paris's republik of Franklin
    Mine has to be the best and worst Bug out...

87 Front wheel drive Buick Riviera with a Grand National Motor swap. Intercooeld and methanol injected I haul some serious ***. I can sure as hell out run some zombies but 1/4 inch standing water and I am toast. Not mention the hell I would be in with a light dust on the road...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Lapel
    2wd motorcycle?

Rokon? . . . . .Are the sidecars powered or am I thinking ural? I know the rokon will go just about anywhere and some models even float! If I were bugging solo this would be a option. Not very fast or bulletproof but has its advantages.

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    I have a truck and a cherokee also have a travel trailer, would perfer to have a smaller older vehicle like a landcruiser pick up ot the old chevy luv 4x4, but these are only two seaters I dont plane on bugging out empty handed or alone, I think I would try to take as much as i could in my vehicle before I let my place so something with load space would be important, if everybodys fleeing at once there are not going to be fuel deliverys so fuel mileage would be a factor[unless you have a very large aux. tank] 4x4 would also be need just in case there is 1 1/2 ft of snow, while the vehicle you have now carry you ,and your famialy your supplies and gear???I think with the roof rack my cherokee would but its got fuel injection and a computer so I would like a older vehicle that i could repair without a engine analizer Ive seen a few people talking about their bov and im sure there all good but are they as good as you think

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I don't recall it being mentioned

Dodge Ramcharger, hauls at least four, can tow if needed, hauls a fair amount of gear.

I just got one two days ago it's beater but I don't care what it looks like as long as it gets me where I need to go. For right now it is my winter ride but it may have a little care thrown at it and made to be a little more than a winter rig. :D

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    At 70mph = no bugs. Best raised bed EVER. Good crop of carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, etc...
    o9l0zm.jpg

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    could a '84 fleetwood pacearrow camper be considered as a bugout veh.? I'm just curious for some input b4 I put this up in the classifieds. Oh btw it does have a 5k gen. too.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have an M1009, - 1985 Chevy blazer, 6.2L diesel w/THM400 & govlock rearend. It's a little strange with the 24/12 volt system.

Pretty much all of those NonTacticalVehicles are going away soon, if they're not being disposed of now. The Army has all the HUMVEES it needs. You might even see some of those for sale, the older ones.

Top Bottom