• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    No. Putting together an AR is like building with legos. Building an AR is like putting legos together, but you have to file the circular knob on top to get it to fit.

It's not easy. If you want to know if you can, aquire the 1911 manuals by Jerry Kuhnhausen. It will provide you with plenty of info on the specs of the gun, and what needs to be done to them to get them to work reliably.

You might get lucky, and stuff work with so called "drop in parts", but IME, stuff needs to be fitted to work reliably.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    No. Putting together an AR is like building with legos. Building an AR is like putting legos together, but you have to file the circular knob on top to get it to fit.

It's not easy. If you want to know if you can, aquire the 1911 manuals by Jerry Kuhnhausen. It will provide you with plenty of info on the specs of the gun, and what needs to be done to them to get them to work reliably.

You might get lucky, and stuff work with so called "drop in parts", but IME, stuff needs to be fitted to work reliably.

you said ar twice... I think you meant to say building a 1911 is like putting legos together but you have to file the circular knob on top to get it to fit.

either way its a good analogy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, you can get all the parts and an 80% frame, if you have the machinery to finish it, make one that doesn't exist. But yeah, there's a lot more to getting one to work right than there is to an AR. Just think, though, JMB got it manufacturable 100 years ago.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    you said ar twice... I think you meant to say building a 1911 is like putting legos together but you have to file the circular knob on top to get it to fit.

either way its a good analogy.
    Yet another reason not to post while your 2 year old is punching you in the arm. You are correct though. :)

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009

these are excellent manuals and well worth the cost:twocents:

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Yep, when folks say they "built" an AR I alway find that kinda amusing. Like said, an AR is really like legos for grown ups. Better verbiage would be "I assembled an AR".

1911s are vastly different, the kuhnhausen manuels are a good start, but the rabbit hole is much much deeper. Most people seem to buy a 1911 and then fit parts as they go. That has some merit, but plan on ruining some parts. There are several build courses around the country and that is a great place to start IMO. In the long run, a class will cost roughly the same as trial and error fitting/building and you will end up with better knowledge (depending on where you take the course).

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If you are mechanically adept, a 1911 is a fine project. It is sometimes easier to start by upgrading a good, but not match quality, 1911 into a precise machine.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    1911's

As noted in the above posts, a 1911 build can be a challenge. I started building and working on them back in the 70's. Manuals and DVD's are all good, but nothing will prepare you for the fitting and matching tolerances in all of the parts and pieces that are required in the 1911 except some guidance, and a lot of hand on experience. If you are wanting a serious carry piece, I suggest you go buy a quality 1911A1. If you want something that may drive you crazy and provide a learning experience in the process, then try your hand at building one. If you want to attend a class, you might check out the build class that Larry Vicker's conducts, IMO his class is well worth the time and money if you want to learn about 1911's.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    I did it...a few years ago I was laid off for a few months and was bored so I bought a frame from Brownells and all Ed Brown stainless internal parts, trigger, hammer etc...Then found a good deal on a slide with all parts on ebay. Not exactly like legos, pretty much every part has to be fitted...took me a little more than 3 months, reading and watching videos online...turned out very nice and shoots amazing! I have around $700 in it.

Top Bottom