• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    I have been looking for a winter project to keep me busy. I have seen others build there own AR rifles and I would like to try my hands at building an AR. Im good with my hands and tools, I just need some help finding the right resources.

I can't think of any better way to love guns then to build my own. plus I have been dyeing to know the inner workings of my AR and my AK.

I'll be grateful for any help any AR builders can give me as a starting point.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A few AR specific tools you'll need:
    -An armorer's wrench, Sometimes has it all on each end (barrel nut on north/castle nut on south) Amazon.com: AR Deluxe Armorers Wrench Tool: Sports & Outdoors
    -A clamshell vice block or something similar Amazon.com: Wheeler 156-444 Delta Series AR-15 Upper Vise Block Clamp: Sports & Outdoors
    - A 3/32" roll pin punch ( you can get by with any old punch if you're good, roll pin holder makes it easier tho). Amazon.com: Ar15 Hollow Starter Pin Punch Set: Sports & Outdoors

Other common tools that every American man should already have will be found in this nifty guide:So you want to buy an AR15 eh? - E46Fanatics and How to Build An AR-15 Video | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

You'll have fun and treasure it for being of your own birth. Ask many questions, you'll have them. AR's and their parts are so prolific and pretty much interchangeable in most any configuration. They are probably the easiest to build, also.

Good luck.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Well I guess you need to start with. What type of AR do you want to build? Barrel length goes from 7.5 up to 24 inch. If you go below 14.5 then you will need to get a stamp for a SBR. Do you want to even stay with the .223/5.56 chamber or do you want a 9mm, 6.5,6.8, etc,etc,etc, There are many kits. I spent 2 years building mine due to funding and doing the research of what I wanted. (Still tinkering) If you stay in the .223/5.56 then are you going to want to build a carbine or a rifle. Carbine, Midlength, or rifle Gas tubes. (Depends on barrel) Do you plan on running a suppressor in the future, then you may want a adjustable gas block. What twist rate do you think you will be happy with. 1/9,1/8,1/7. Do you want standard site post or are you going to want a free floating barrel. Prices are down enough on AR's where it is hard to beat them again. For myself I went with a 16" polygonal barrel with a mid length gas system with a Midwest Gen 2 15" free floating. A DPMS compensator instead of birdcage. I have pictures in my profile. Mako stock and a egro grip. Oh and a Nickle boron coated bolt and a CMC 3.5 single stage trigger. Very happy with the rifle I built. Also think about is this a keeper. Many people will not pay what you put into your "Frankenstein". But now I am thinking about building a 20 to 24 incher.. Why... I don't know because I am American and because I can. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    I want to go class 3. With a can and 14" barrel.
    I want to build one lower that can be fitted with any upper I put on her, going as long as a 24" barrel. A truly one of a kind lower. Custom cnc lower, custom engraving.
    I remember reading about a kit that lets me change out from a 223 to a 308 round. but I cant remember where i read that or if it was something I was thinking.
    I want to have pop up sights for short barrels and scopes for long barrels.
    I want to build a good all terrain rifle. That is after I have built me a couple of rifles to get a hand of things.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I haven't read anything but the OP, so if its been said I am sorry. If you plan on this being a "winter" project you are grossely mistaken. once you get the parts ordered it will take you maybe a day, or possibly a couple of evenings MAX to complete. If you want to turn it into a winter project then order ONE part per week until you have them all. IE, week 1 Lower parts kit week 2 lower receiver week 3 upper receiver week 4 buffer spring buffer tube and stock ect ect... that way you constantly have something to do and something to research all winter. That's about the only way you are going to make this a winter project.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I want to go class 3. With a can and 14" barrel.
    I want to build one lower that can be fitted with any upper I put on her, going as long as a 24" barrel. A truly one of a kind lower. Custom cnc lower, custom engraving.
    I remember reading about a kit that lets me change out from a 223 to a 308 round. but I cant remember where i read that or if it was something I was thinking.
    I want to have pop up sights for short barrels and scopes for long barrels.
    I want to build a good all terrain rifle. That is after I have built me a couple of rifles to get a hand of things.

Ar15.com as well as youtube has plenty of good video's as well as info regarding how to build one.

If your wanting a "do all" lower go with a rifle style stock like maybe the Magpul rifle stock, like the gun in my Avatar. Its good for bench work as well as shouldering for a carbine use if you don't like the original A2 style. Never heard of being able to swap out from 223 to 308.... don't see how that would be possible since both the rifles are two completely different platforms?...... As far as a "good all terrain rifle" as you call it. I would look into maybe a SPR rifle build, something in an 18" barrel possibly. Would be light enough to shoulder an carry but capable of using from a bench. Good luck on your build!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I know the internals pretty well, so it took all of an hour or so for me to put a lower together, including retrieving springs. Scrapped together a .300BLK upper out of a new barrel and spare parts. That was another hour or so. Uppers are available prebuilt in pretty much any configuration of flat tops, rails, sights, barrel length, caliber, etc etc. The cool thing is, I bought my first AR in 87 or 88, and I'm still playing Legos with them.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    If you want a winter project, take up reloading. I say this because I built my first AR in about an hour (both upper & lower) and was shooting it. Let's face it. We all say we "built" our AR. In reality, most of us just assembled them. If you use a drop in trigger assembly it's about a 30-45 min. job. The hardest part is figuring out what you want to build and ordering the parts. This could takes weeks or months. :): I never really wanted one. As I got older I figured why not, I've never had one. I ended up building two at the same time as two back orders shipped the same day. I ended up doing a SBR with one in 300 blackout. Now I wonder why I never did it sooner.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Since he says he wants shorter than a 16" barrel this will be a Winter long project. :): Waiting on the ATF tax stamp is what will take the longest.

If you really want an SBR and a can then get the lower now and get that SBR tax stamp in progress. It's taking a ridiculous 6-9 months now!!! Do the silencer now too. Same ridiculous 6-9 month wait!!!

If I were you, I'd build a 14.5" barrel rifle with a silver solder or pinned 1.5" flash hider and wait on the stamp. Go short after you get the stamp. I like my blind pinned Battle Comp 1.5 & 14.5" Colt M4 so much that I could have skipped the SBR stamp.

Top Bottom