• ...and so much more!
  • Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Hey all,

I'm in the market for an M&P, problem is I don't know if I should buy an M&P40 pro series or build up an M&P357 the way I want it. On one hand if I build the 357 up, I can customize it any way I want and don't have to worry about voiding the warranty or hurting the value. On the other hand the pro series is ready to go right out of the box and has a lifetime warranty. I like the 357sig and would probably buy a conversion barrel for the 40 anyway. What are you thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure what there is to build up. The 40 and 357 sig barrels should work in either gun with the same magazines. You looking for a competition pistol?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you are going to go with the Apex trigger anyway I wouldn't spend the extra money on a Pro Series. The real question is if you want a 5" barrel gun. Personally I would find a regular 4.25" M&P40 or 357 and go from there. There was recently some police trade ins I saw advertised. Polymer pistol market is soft right now. Buy a used gun, gut the trigger, buy the conversion barrels (9mm, 40, 357), get it all stippled up, choose your sights. Don't worry about warranty or resell. It's a gun shoot it.

if you are interested in USPSA avoid the Forward Set Sear as it replaces the trigger and not production legal. Also get an M&P40 because the 357 sig barrel makes it illegal in production. Besides 40 is easier to reload for because 357 sig is a necked cartridge.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    I am interested in three gun competition, and you say that the 357 makes it illegal for production? I thought that since S&W made a production 357 it would be legal. Is the pro series also illegal? It sounds like everything I wanted for the 357 makes it illegal for uspsa which was basically the whole point of getting it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am interested in three gun competition, and you say that the 357 makes it illegal for production? I thought that since S&W made a production 357 it would be legal. Is the pro series also illegal? It sounds like everything I wanted for the 357 makes it illegal for uspsa which was basically the whole point of getting it.

I am referring to USPSA. I can't comment on 3 gun. A 357 sig is legal for USPSA. But a 357 sig conversion barrel in an M&P40 slide would not be legal for certain divisions. 5" Pro Series is OK for either sport.

I would not setup around 357 sig for USPSA or 3 gun events. 1) ammo is expensive and hard to find. 2) it is more difficult to reload 3) 357 sig has the most recoil of the different cartridges. It would make the most sense to buy an M&P40 and then both the 9mm and 357 conversion barrels. One gun 3 calibers. Then you can shoot cheap 9mm for practice and 40S&W in matches. The 9mm barrel would probably be fine for 3 gun and nobody at South Central is going to check your gun at the local USPSA match. If you get serious about the sport you can start loading 40S&W Lite loads for competition.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Everything you've said makes sense, but do you have any idea why a 4" pro series is illegal? It looks like everything is listed on the uspsa approved gun page except the 4".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Everything you've said makes sense, but do you have any idea why a 4" pro series is illegal? It looks like everything is listed on the uspsa approved gun page except the 4".

M&P comes in a compact, full size with 4.25" barrel, and a competition model with 5" barrel. All of these should be USPSA legal. Either the 4.25" gun or the 5" gun will work great for you.

edit: I have a 4.25" Pro Series M&P9 you can try. The Pro Series guns just mean they have the improved sear. I think the new guns all come with this sear and now the Pro Series simply refers to the 5" barreled guns. Your best chance at finding a deal right now though will be on a regular 4.25" M&P40.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Thanks for the offer! We'll have to set something up where we can get to the range! As far as the pro series goes, I looked on the uspsa list of approved guns and it looks like one of the only M&P models not listed is the 4.25" pro series. The one I have been looking at has the slide cut for optics, porting, and internal work. I really want that one, and you're right that the list probably means both, but I just wanted to make sure because I don't want to be disqualified over.75" of difference in barrel/slide.

Top Bottom