• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    I'm sure this is here somewhere but I'm new here and can't find it if it is.

I would like to get an AR-15 at sometime (preferably before they're illegal), but I'm not sure if I should build one (I have access to the tools I need), or buy one. What is the difference in price, quality, customizability, reliability, and accuracy?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm sure this is here somewhere but I'm new here and can't find it if it is.

It's been asked once or twice. ;)

I would like to get an AR-15 at sometime (preferably before they're illegal), but I'm not sure if I should build one (I have access to the tools I need), or buy one. What is the difference in price, quality, customizability, reliability, and accuracy?

I always advise folks to "buy your first, build the rest". But opinions will certainly vary. Luckily there is no "wrong" answer here.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I prefer to build. I like the ability to customize it exactly to your liking. If you aren't in a hurry to get one together, you can wait for deals to pop up on certain parts of the rifle. I'm just not satisfied with something off the shelf, and would end up taking it apart anyway. I also think you can save a bit of money if you are smart about the build process.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I agree. But I find that is off set by the satisfaction of doing the project yourself. If you are not in a hurry, then I would prefer to build just because I like the challenge and the sense of accomplishment.

Not to mention you'll gain an intimate working knowledge of your firearm.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There are far more threads that are started with "I just built my first AR and I need help" than there are threads asking for help with a purchased factory AR and it doesn't work right.

Just saying.....

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have notice that most who start these threads ends up buying a complete rifle. I personally chose to build mine but had people I know that I could ask questions and get reliable answers from and that helped a lot.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    How mechanically inclined are you?
    While it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assemble an AR15, some skills and knowledge are required.
    Most of the knowledge comes in knowing what parts to buy, and what to avoid.

Easiest thing to do is go to Palmetto State Armory, and buy one of their complete rifle kits, and in a separate order, buy a stripped lower receiver.
    This will get you a rifle together without having to know much, and not have to buy a bunch of tools to do it.

A harder way is to spend the time to research every group of the "build" so you are getting the best for your money and then not having to replace a bunch of parts to "upgrade" the AR15 into what you want.

The best solution IMO for the AR15 "new guy" is to buy a factory built rifle that has a warranty. After you have learned the system, gained the knowledge of what's on the market, you'll be able to "build" a kick butt rifle!

Also with a factory built rifle, should you ever decide to sell it if you find out the AR isn't your cup of tea, finances, ect. it is easier to sell it as compare to one you have put together yourself.

:twocents:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Buy your first upper and build your first lower.

For all intents and purposes, you can build a good looking, functioning lower with vice grips, electrical tape and a youtube video.

Look at the post above for some good advice on how to build. If you're not good with "tools", his factory rifle advice is even better.

HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    Wow, guys. Thanks for all the advice. One idea I had was to get a very basic model, then customize from there. Then once I get more familiar with AR style rifle, start building one from scratch.

mikemcbride

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Had the same issue earlier this year I ended up building mine and I'm glad I did you get to know the ins and outs of the rifle. this was very helpful as I have never had an AR before.

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I machined my own receiver and bought all of the bits and pieces and assembled my own rifle.
    It was more expensive than a complete rifle but the satisfaction of making my own was worth the extra $$$$
    If I charged minimum wage for my labor it would be 2X the $$$$
    I did buy quality components so that upped the $$$$ quite a bit.
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and a good machinist and it still took maybe 20 hours.
    IMG_1103[1].jpg

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I machined my own receiver and bought all of the bits and pieces and assembled my own rifle.
    It was more expensive than a complete rifle but the satisfaction of making my own was worth the extra $$$$
    If I charged minimum wage for my labor it would be 2X the $$$$
    I did buy quality components so that upped the $$$$ quite a bit.
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and a good machinist and it still took maybe 20 hours.
    View attachment 24315

thats a really good looking rifle! Wish I had the equipment to do that.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I caught a GOOD close-out deal at GT, so I cancelled my build idea. G T Distributors Search Results
    Some of these will require more than normal ID though. 3 forms of ID including SS card or BC, along with your other forms. They're basically tactical and ready for mortar tubes and the like.
    I clicked on the Colt link and it said to call for pricing. I know it was selling for a lot less last week.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have found you spend more money if you build one...
    Nonsense. If you are in a B-A hurry and dont sit and wait for the deals to pop up then maybe yeah but otherwise sit and wait for the deal on barrel, receivers, BCG, etc. and have the cash ready and one can be built very cheap. No reason you cant buy a basic A3 right now for under $550-600. With $50 lower receivers, thats half the battle right there taken care of.
    Get 2 or more people together that want to assemble their own and go halves on the dedicated tools and then sell of the tools and split the $$ outcome of the sale of the tools. Find someone that already has all the tools and talk them into showing you how to assemble and use their tools. Those with the tools....we are everywhere!

Tools needed:
    Armorers wrench--to tighten barrel nut/flash-hider $20-$30
    Roll pin punch set--- Rural King $10
    needle nose pliers-- all men should already have a set
    small or std size hammer --- " " " " "
    Roll electrical tap or equiv. --- " " " " "
    Std Screwdriver -- screw for grip " " " " "
    Razor Blade -- to install retention pins/springs(2) " " " " "

Thats about it! Dont be in a hurry on getting the parts, resist ALL forms of peer pressure to "GET IT DONE" and YOUTUBE is full of freee vids on HOW TO.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom