Build your own Silencer in Indiana and you will go to jail !

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yep,that's what I was told by a salesman that works at a local gun shop that is a class III dealer and sells suppressors no less.

We were discussing the cans they had for sell which were all barrel end screw on types. I mentioned that I had a GSG-522SP and that I really needed a integral suppressor which for my model rifle are quite rare plus very expensive even if you could find one.

When I mentioned to the salesman that I would probably just get the stamp and build my own. The salesman flat out said that I couldn't get just a stamp and build my own suppressor.

He said he "was a cop and that I know the law buddy". He proceeded to tell me that I would arrested then go to prison if I were to build my own can and was seen with it because there was no LEGAL way I could build one.:rolleyes:

It gets better as he went on to say...

1. That the $200 tax stamp has to go with a already built suppressor with a already existing Serial number on it.

2. That in order to build a suppressor I would have to be a manufacturer and that I wasn't.

3. The only legal way I could own a suppressor was to buy one that was already built(with a Ser# on it)from a manufacturer that was authorized to build them,pay the $200 tax stamp fee and then recieve it through a class III dealer.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    1. yes, it does.

2. yes, you do; I don't know if you are/aren't already.

3. Not exactly. you could get authorized as a manufacturer, then sell yourself a suppressor with a maker's mark and serial # on it, then pay the $200 stamp to own it.

Probably cheaper in the long-run to just buy your own supressor.

Did I pass the ATF's test, special Agent?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It's pretty much like building an SBR on a form 1. Don't build it until you get the stamp. The cop that says he knows the law is not your buddy. LOL

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    Wow! A whole lot of BS in one location. Start with the outer tube, get the serial number of your choice engraved, along with your name as the manufacturer. Once you get the stamp finish the can. No portion of the law says it has to be a whole, working (or that it works well) suppressor.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's pretty much like building an SBR on a form 1. Don't build it until you get the stamp. The cop that says he knows the law is not your buddy. LOL

Exactly !

Accdording to him you can't send off for a tax stamp until it's BUILT(by a manufacturer) and is marked with a serial #,but you can't build it UNLESS your a authorized manufacturer!

Look,it really isn't that hard unless people want to make it hard.

It's not a whole lot different then applying for a SBR stamp and then building one. You have to ESTIMATE certain demensions(after all you haven't built it yet and the ATF understands that/make up a serial# that WILL BE used(again you can't very well put a ser# on a rifle/suppressor etc. that you haven't built yet)!

The ATF Form 1 is quite clear in it's term as to what a Firearm is as it relates to that specific form.

Check out Definition 1C-7

The term "firearm" means: (7) "a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; "

OMG looky there...amazing huh ?

1. Definitions

c. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Firearm. [/FONT][/FONT]The term "firearm" means: (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 5845(e); (6) a machinegun; (7) a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and (8) a destructive device.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Name the shop.

Can't do that as the owner is actually a pretty cool guy.

It was just this one particular persons ignorance about the law that I thought was funny and thought I would share. Especially since he informed me that he was a Police Officer(showed me some piece of paper in his wallet(?) and was so adamant that it was illegal for someone like me to actually build their own.

When I visit most gun stores I am usually more knowledgeable about most of the weapons than many of the staff are. It's the same way with car dealers or any other product that one finds interesting enough to research and gain knowledge of.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I bet the salesman plays call of duty, and just "knows a cop". :rolleyes:

Oh and for the record it didn't happen in my shop. :D

Lol You are correct combat45acp it was not in your shop.

It is just another example though that we are doing the anti-gunners work for them. When people who actually work in the field don't know the law concerning firearms and or components they sell who else is going to inform the public ? Not the other side as they sure don't want people to know what is legal and what is not legal to own or build.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Not mine,but it's identical to the one I want to suppress

Factory GSG-522 SD with the fake can
    GSG-522-16.jpg

Last edited:

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    This shows the very thin .42 inch barrel!
    That is just one of the factors as to why the suppressor really needs to be of the integral type.
    GSG-522-3.jpg

Top Bottom