• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    What are the laws, if any, for making your own gun from scratch? Is there things you have to do in order to make it legal? Do i have to register it or do anything like that after it is built?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You do have guide lines to follow. Like barrel lengths on rifles. If it is a kit build from a demilled kit? You have to use a curtain number of compliance parts on the build. Your build does not have to be registered in the state of Indiana.

What are you thinking of building??? It will be easier to answer your questions with a bit more info.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    What I'm wanting to build is a single shot break barrel handgun in .22lr. I got a section of barrel sitting around and I found d plans to make it into to one. Probably a 6" barrel

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What are the laws, if any, for making your own gun from scratch? Is there things you have to do in order to make it legal? Do i have to register it or do anything like that after it is built?

Micro, as long as you are making a Title I weapon and not a prohibited person (felony conviction, domestic violence conviction, under indictment or charging information, illicit substance user, dishonorable discharge, etc.), then make your single shot handgun. (Don't do anything silly like put a foregrip on it making it an AoW).

See if this helps:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-atf-doing-regards-people-making-their-own-firearms

Do NOT engage in the business of selling guns that you make without obtaining an FFL first. You MAY want to consider stamping a serial number on it for the future. Your call as there is no requirement.

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?

Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18U.S.C.§ 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

(Emphasis added)

Last edited:

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I should be good then. I am legally allowed to own guns and I have a carry license. Thanks for the info guys!

On another note, is there any where I can buy a short section of rifled barrel ( I guess kinda link a blank). I am thinking i wanna try another caliber too.

2old2bfast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    Columbus
    Green Mountain Barrels has short sections of rifled barrels that aren't expensive for first time projects.
    They make cartridge barrels and black powder barrels.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you hve a few bucks to spend you might thing about grabbing a Sten kit as a first build. Basic hand tools, a Dremall tool and a welder will build one. A semi auto kit is available to make things simple. I have done a few.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I have a full machine shop of tools to build with and plans to build what I want so I am just gonna do my own from scratch. I have welders, drill presses, milling machine, and more. Not enough tools def isn't the problem lol

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Is there certain type of steel people would reccomend for doing this? Is just a mild steel good enough? Should I find some stainless? Is mild cooled rolled steel fine if I get it professionally blued or coated?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you truly want to get in to building you might want to checkout weaponsguild.com. There motto is builders helping builders. Lots of info and lots and lots of builds. A great group of guys too. My screen name it the same over there. Feel free to put my name down as "referred by" .

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    i think i read you need to stamp it with your name, city, state, and caliber.

Nope. Not necessary in the state of Indiana. It's a good ideal to, but not a requirement in this state. Anther myth is you can't sell it or give it away. You can, but you can not build the gun with the intention of reselling it. That would make you a manufacturer. That's a big no no. Don't even go there.

Top Bottom