• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I am curious about building an AK for myself. I know it's quite a process, and that it's not as simple as assembling an AR. My main question is, does anyone know where I could find some good step-by-step info on how to do it? I've watched a lot of Jim Fuller's videos, but I really want to know the tools I need and how to do it. Thanks!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Here are some thoughts:

I have hundreds of pictures of my various builds that I hope to assemble in build order one day. For the new builders, the question is where do you want to start? Do you have a hardened receiver ready to go or are building from a flat?

If you are building from a flat, you need a bending jig (the one from AK-Builders is the best - and most expensive). Search on YouTube on bending AK receivers. You will have to weld the bolt carrier rails with a spot welder (again search on YouTube). After that, you need heat treat and that is also on YouTube (and requires a kiln for the first part to get the receiver hot enough). You can spot harden using a MAPP torch but this can be tricky.

If you need a 100% receiver, No Dak Spud or Southern Armament are good choices. The type of receiver you need depends on the kit. I prefer to drill the trunnion holes myself in case I have that kit drilled by drunk Ivan who was slightly off when the rifle was originally made.

Barrels can be the hardest things to find, especially if you have a non-standard AK pattern rifle (PSL, RPK, etc.)

Do not use screws to build your rifle. Buy rivets. Pretty much everyone sells AK-Builder rivets.

Once you get all that and ready for demilling (removing the old parts of the rifle), send me a PM and I'll walk you through the steps. I've done it with a couple of guys already.

If you plan to do the build at home, the most common tools are either from AK-Builder.com (hydraulic press - 12 or 20 ton - get from Harbor freight) or Tothtools.com (no hydraulic press needed but slower). There are a lot of videos out there on using both. I highly suggest a drill press. Drilling by hand is a major PITA.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I have built many AK's for my own use & in todays market you can not build cheaper than buying one off the shelf unless you have all the tools needed already.
    But if you want a better AK than the cheap junk on the shelf your best bet is to build.
    Here are a few links I used to help get you started.
    BuildyourownAK - YouTube

Pookieweb

How to build an AK 47

If you need any more info let me know.

A good place to buy a 100% receiver is.
    http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Firearms/OOWExclusiveFirearms/AKReceivers.cat

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Mr. Deeds,

its to bad you're so far away in Iowa. If you were closer you could attend our yet to be scheduled AK build party.

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    My intentions were to eventually purchase a receiver (Nodak Spud). So what I'm getting from this is that I need a 12 or 20 ton press, a drill press, and what else? Does it matter if I use a 12 or 20 ton?

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I used AR15.com for my knowledge. There is a 'Build it Yourself' section that is more than sufficient. Youtube would also suffice for the individual steps.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My intentions were to eventually purchase a receiver (Nodak Spud). So what I'm getting from this is that I need a 12 or 20 ton press, a drill press, and what else? Does it matter if I use a 12 or 20 ton?

Not really. Clay had a 20 ton at the last party, I brought my 12 ton. The 20's are more stable but I just tighten the hell out of my 12. You can bend things in bad ways with a press so you have to be careful. Nothing will require REALLy cranking on the press handle except popping ROMY G barrel pins. I STILL hate those things from the party.

Look at the building tools on AK-Builder.com to decide what you want. You can often find used tools at akfiles.com. You need tools for riveting the front trunnion, the rear trunnion, and the trigger guard. You need a way to get barrels in and out of the rifle. I built me own to start using bolts and pennies.

You will likely want a heavy rubber mallet, calipers, and go no/go gauges (or borrow them from someone). Don't assemble without gauges.

I found a bunch of images on my computer. I'll upload tomorrow to show more of the tools used to build.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Sorry, I had to resize a lot of files. Here is a sample from the last build party.

My 12 ton
    048.jpg

Clay's 20 ton
    054.jpg

Drill Presses
    053.jpg

Rubber mallets
    057.jpg

And lots of parts
    050.jpg

We really need another party!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I must confess, I started building an AR because It was so much easier. But I secretly prefer the AK...

Shhh.. dont tell anyone...

It will be next..

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've heard a rumor that a certain grumpy ex AK enthusiast AKA yours truly could be talked into selling some AK Builder tools for a good discount over the cost new. Most were not used as I lost interest. PM me if interested and I'll see what I have.

Even have one bent and roughed out reciever left but that would have to be a FTF

Top Bottom