• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Let me make one clarification on my stance: I'm all for training in whatever capacity you can. Regardless of perceived need. I love high round count training. It doesn't matter what statistics say. I truly enjoy it and seek it out. I also like getting broke off and then perform tacti-cool shooting drills. It's not likely that I'll actually ever have to evade the hordes of zombies with my PT and high round count classes, but I dig it. So, yeah. I get it. Train hard or go home. Train often. Have fun. I would thoroughly enjoy a house clearing class...assuming we shoot lots of bullets. :rockwoot:

The wife complaining piece: I may actually just kinda sneak in and hide while she dismantles his sense of manhood (not physical parts, mind you) and then jump out all tacti-cool ninja style at the safest opportunity so I can retain a complaint-free weekend.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Let me make one clarification on my stance: I'm all for training in whatever capacity you can. Regardless of perceived need. I love high round count training. It doesn't matter what statistics say. I truly enjoy it and seek it out. I also like getting broke off and then perform tacti-cool shooting drills. It's not likely that I'll actually ever have to evade the hordes of zombies with my PT and high round count classes, but I dig it. So, yeah. I get it. Train hard or go home. Train often. Have fun. I would thoroughly enjoy a house clearing class...assuming we shoot lots of bullets. :rockwoot:

The wife complaining piece: I may actually just kinda sneak in and hide while she dismantles his sense of manhood (not physical parts, mind you) and then jump out all tacti-cool ninja style at the safest opportunity so I can retain a complaint-free weekend.

an intruder would never get by dinosaur girl....

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    While I would never recommend a course like this for someone who hasn't had any training, there were skills that I got to refine that weren't directly related to "building clearing."

Like any force on force class, front sight focus during shooting is a skill that takes a while to learn. As well as trigger reset and moving your feet. All of these things I got to practice while working on entry tactics. As long as this isnt your first pistol class, I would obviously recommend it. I don't agree with the "if youre not a cop, this class isnt for you" opinion.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    But it's fun. Let's not take away from that. Most of us will never actually need an AR, but we love the idea of having one, regardless. Why not take classes/courses on every aspect on use of a weapon?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking classes for fun as long as the participants are aware of that and they aren't being mislead. The problem comes about when instructors mislead their participants into believing they need to take these types of courses in order to effectively defend themselves.

The other issues is the need for training that fits a specific objective. IF a person is training specifically for self-defense they should focus on courses that fit that objective. While some of these types of courses may be fun they often contradict the desired objectives. IF surviving explosive violence is the objective building contradictory habits or skills can be detrimental to ones survival. So, fun doesn't always equal practical and applicable.

Steve

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Gun fights are a game of angles (so I have been told, never been in a real one). The room clearing course I took, different than this one (1-2 man room clearing at Telluric Group in GA, force on force), really illustrated that point. The most I got from my room clearing course was how to expose the least amount while moving before an adversary could see you. And that skill can be used anywhere, not just in the house...... around cars, building corners, alleys, trees, etc etc etc

Did we learn some strong wall and opposing corners technique, yes, but It was limited as that doesnt matter much when there is only one of you.

I generally agree with this. I'll not likely ever have to clear rooms in a slow building search. I'll never do a "dynamic entry". However, the skills you get to work learning to do it can be applicable in a lot of different situations. Understanding of space, angles, and how to move are handy things to have. It sounds like this class also had some force-on-force elements, and any well-run FoF opportunity is probably going to do good things for you. Getting to pressure test your existing pistol skills while being flooded with new information and new problems will only enhance your understanding of where you really stand. I believe there are a lot of benefits to a class like this. Not necessarily because I think building clearing is important, but because I think adding complexity and new dimensions to your skill set is a good idea and many of those skills can be applicable in other situations.

I think you're more likely to need good awareness, verbal skills, and a good understanding of more typical criminal assaults. But the most basic aspect of these skills you learn in this class can be implemented around a gas pump or a concrete column.

Top Bottom