• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My basement walls are cinder block 8 inches thick with a facade to make them look like limestone. My property is on a slope and the basement has a walk out door to ground level. I have 2 windows in it with a rough opening approx 37x39 inches with a 8 inch header on top of them. The windows are horrible 1960's awning that leak air badly and look awful. I was just given a pallet of glass block windows, of varying sizes and they are all just over 3 inches thick. I would like to get rid of the existing windows and seal them up with the glass block.

What are the building codes for basement windows, can i completely close them up with the glass block? Since my wall is 8 inches thick could I use 2 rows of the glass blocks to better seal it up? FWIW I get no light at all through the current windows, there is a deck above them. I am in Lake County if that matters

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not sure, but I think your windows may have to allow for egress, but with a walk-out door, maybe not? I know when my nextdoor neighbors re-did their basement to make it a living space, they had to actually add a large window and dig out around it to allow for egress. It wasn't a walk-out basement though.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I believe you only have to have egress in bedrooms.
    use the glass block, but one thickness is plenty. Surely you get some light through?

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Don't set your blocks two rows deep because you will not be able to clean between them. The windows are weaker than the glass blocks and you have an existing header above the windows.

Last edited:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Is there more than one room in the basement? If so, it would be a problem if one of the rooms is considered a bedroom. Other than that you should be okay.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    As long as not a bedroom you can do that. Do you ever see a reason to have air movement down there tho?

I am working on a new place that has four openings in the basement. One is in the garage, one will be in a mechanical room. No legal bedrooms so size doesn't matter. I opted for windows that could open. Hope that whoever buys the place has the same thoughts.

Also, as far as I know, you can change windows in existing areas without changing sizes unless you are remodeling and making a bedroom. I think minimum size is 20x24 so your opening would fit as egress, but there are rules for distance from finished floor too.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I should have mentioned that the basement is unfinished storage/shop space. The basement is totally dry, no need for any ventilation. I was mostly concerned about legal egress through the windows.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I should have mentioned that the basement is unfinished storage/shop space. The basement is totally dry, no need for any ventilation. I was mostly concerned about legal egress through the windows.

Butch, are you planning on putting bedrooms in your basement?

I have those very same glass block windows. They are fantastic! Solid choice.

Top Bottom