• ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Anyone done a home build?

Good kit recommendations? Things you learned? Things you wish you had done differently?

What tools did you need to buy?

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone done a home build?

Good kit recommendations? Things you learned? Things you wish you had done differently?

What tools did you need to buy?

Lessons learned:
    1) Can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse
    2) Can accidentally ruin parts I didn't understand
    3) Can see guns not work correctly (ACC USPSA match...)
    4) I'm better off earning money at what I'm good at, and spending it with people who have experience.

I'd recommend starting with a gun that was 95% of the way there (STI Sentry) and then add some small customization items (grips, sights) while leaving the firing controls alone. It takes jigs, tools, and some skill to do a good action job on a 1911.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sure, I did it because no one was making what I wanted. Now I'd go with one of those 7/8ths sized Brownings.

Rock River frame with Ciener .22lr kit.

Finishing gunsmithing by Shannon at Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville, TN.

cidmedia1-2.jpg

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Lessons learned:
    1) Can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse
    2) Can accidentally ruin parts I didn't understand
    3) Can see guns not work correctly (ACC USPSA match...)
    4) I'm better off earning money at what I'm good at, and spending it with people who have experience.

I'd recommend starting with a gun that was 95% of the way there (STI Sentry) and then add some small customization items (grips, sights) while leaving the firing controls alone. It takes jigs, tools, and some skill to do a good action job on a 1911.

Done that, had a beautiful Kimber I did some work to. Beavertail, some trigger stuff, tweaking hammer/sear engagment, little things, mostly. Turned out pretty well. I would do very bad things to get that gun back. Farmed the more involved stuff, like fitting a new oversized match bushing, out to a machinist buddy of mine with capability of turning it down to the .001"

I thought about going that route again, but the thought of building it (mostly) myself, exactly how I want it, is appealing. Even I take baby steps and get a Fusion kit or a Caspian pre-fitted frame and slide and do it that way. The tough stuff is mostly done on those.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    When you say "build" how far off Milspec are you wanting to go?
    You can make a "rat '11" milspec out of about any '11 parts and most will be "drop in parts".
    I've got a super shooter '70 series made out of a half dozen guns I switched parts around to get the best fitting, looking, and shooting 1911 I could ever ask for.
    IF you're not savvy on the 1911 I'd just buy a good gun to start with. You can always piece one together when you're more familiar with them. Don't get in a hurry and you can put one together for little to nothing cash wise. OR...you can spend a small fortune to build a radical custom gun.
    You'll need to figure out EXACTLY what your build mission is BEFORE starting.
    I'd definitely like to check out the progression as you build it. Keep a good diary and plenty of pics.
    Cool Project

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Fitting the slide and frame is the most time consuming when done by hand, but also the most gratifying.

dont recut a beavertail if you dont HAVE to have it, blending it together is a pain.

if you get into fitting your own barrel there are lots of expensive tools required. I have them all and would be willing to rent them out.

DO NOT checker the frame, mine is halfway done a year into it and the only reason the pistol is not finished.

shoot me a PM w/ a phone number and a time to call tomorrow and we can chat about it.

I think its a very valuable experience.

for a starter look through brownells tech articles about building one. its a 4 part series and i followed it step by step.

before the gun was taken apart for checkering i had 200 flawless and ACCURATE rounds through the gun.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Fitting the slide and frame is the most time consuming when done by hand, but also the most gratifying.

dont recut a beavertail if you dont HAVE to have it, blending it together is a pain.

if you get into fitting your own barrel there are lots of expensive tools required. I have them all and would be willing to rent them out.

DO NOT checker the frame, mine is halfway done a year into it and the only reason the pistol is not finished.

shoot me a PM w/ a phone number and a time to call tomorrow and we can chat about it.

I think its a very valuable experience.

for a starter look through brownells tech articles about building one. its a 4 part series and i followed it step by step.

before the gun was taken apart for checkering i had 200 flawless and ACCURATE rounds through the gun.

Thanks!

I'll be in touch when I finally figure out what I'm going to do with this. Thanks for the pointer to the Brownell's articles. GunTech : Building A 1911 - Part I - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Kuhnhausen books on 1911, vol#1 and vol#2, are must have, brownell had them then not sure if they have them now. I got mine after I was *****-slapped by my gunsmith for bringing my 1911's back in for simple adjustments:dunno:, I guess he was too busy and did'nt wan't to be bothered by me:xmad:. So I got these two books and they are great!!, How to build, major or minor adjustments to your pistol along with troubleshooting your 1911 or magazines, they are not cheap but are worth every pennie, now I have another gunsmith that I take anything to that I can't handle.:ingo::twocents:

Top Bottom