• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Obm12ctsv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    Ham. Co.
    I was curious if there's any standard regulations as far as building an outdoor range. For example: does the berm need to be X number of feet high? Distance from nearest neighbor/dwelling? Obviously within city limits is out. So, are there any standard regulations or would it vary from county to county or jurisdiction?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If it's for your personal use (not a business), I don't think there are any set regulations. But you might want to check with your county sherrif dept. But safety is the single most important issue. Make the backstop as large as you can.

There is another thread about one of our mods and his quest to build a range. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And step 1 before you put in any work is to check local zoning laws to make sure a range isnt prohibited. It would really suck to get Thousands of dollars and dozens of man-hours into the project only to find out you arent going to be able to use it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Provided that your firing points and impact area are outside the required distance from the road, you are not endangering the public and/or neighboring property owners or infringing on their ability to use their own property, and you are not earning a financial profit by the use of the range, there is little anybody can do about it. That would INCLUDE Zoning....except Marion County.

But even in Marion, IMPD will--indeed, CAN--do nothing about it provided you are not endangering anyone or disturbing the peace. There isn't actually a law in place to prevent it.

As has been said though...make the berm higher and THICKER than you think you need.

-Nate

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also - when you've got the berm as big and as high as you want it...you'll want to have about 50% more soil in "reserve" or easily accessible to pile on/up due to settling/erosion/etc. Your berm WILL get smaller.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    And make sure you post pictures here of the process and when you are done! I'd love to see how it goes.
    I am also building one in my backyard this summer. I'm clearing the woods and collecting RxR ties. I hope to get it started soon!

Novabeast69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    And make sure you post pictures here of the process and when you are done! I'd love to see how it goes.
    I am also building one in my backyard this summer. I'm clearing the woods and collecting RxR ties. I hope to get it started soon!

We just moved and I would find this information very helpful. I have a tall creek bank I want to use as backstop and anything else to help keep it safe is always welcome

Top Bottom