• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've handled the BUL 1911 Govt models a couple times at the 1500 and a few other gun shows, they always seemed like well put together pistols with some nice features. I saw on their website they offer a Commander 9mm version which is what I wanted to try. In all my 1911 travels I have never actually owned a 1911 in 9mm so this would be a departure. They weren't available for awhile but finally some popped up on Gunbroker for less than 800.00 so I took a chance. The price is definitely right for these as I could barely order a frame and slide from Caspian spec'd this way. I was pretty impressed when I got it. They have 10-8 style sights in a Novak dovetail, great slide/frame/barrel fit, ramped barrel, very good factory beavertail fit and i'm usually picky about that, nicely done 25 lpi checkering and beveled magwell, nice G10 grips. I thought I would change out the black safety when I got it but it's blended pretty well with the frame and doesn't really bother me. I will likely change out the ugly trigger and I hate those hammers with the split down the middle these come with, that's definitely going. Trigger is very nice on this one though. The protruding barrel bugs me a bit but I can have that turned down if I care to. I will probably do a bit of de-horning too but really this is one you could buy and really not have to do anything to. I put through about 100 rds today and it functioned great, and shot about 1-1.5 inch groups easy enough with some old cheap FMJ.

eF4NbH1l.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've handled the BUL 1911 Govt models a couple times at the 1500 and a few other gun shows, they always seemed like well put together pistols with some nice features. I saw on their website they offer a Commander 9mm version which is what I wanted to try. In all my 1911 travels I have never actually owned a 1911 in 9mm so this would be a departure. They weren't available for awhile but finally some popped up on Gunbroker for less than 800.00 so I took a chance. The price is definitely right for these as I could barely order a frame and slide from Caspian spec'd this way. I was pretty impressed when I got it. They have 10-8 style sights in a Novak dovetail, great slide/frame/barrel fit, ramped barrel, very good factory beavertail fit and i'm usually picky about that, nicely done 25 lpi checkering and beveled magwell, nice G10 grips. I thought I would change out the black safety when I got it but it's blended pretty well with the frame and doesn't really bother me. I will likely change out the ugly trigger and I hate those hammers with the split down the middle these come with, that's definitely going. Trigger is very nice on this one though. The protruding barrel bugs me a bit but I can have that turned down if I care to. I will probably do a bit of de-horning too but really this is one you could buy and really not have to do anything to. I put through about 100 rds today and it functioned great, and shot about 1-1.5 inch groups easy enough with some old cheap FMJ.

eF4NbH1l.jpg
    It it’s a 9mm man :(:
    Damn nice looking piece.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

eF4NbH1l.jpg
    That is a beautiful firearm. Being new to the 1911 world where do these guys stand in quality @churchmouse
    Are they Springfield quality or Dan Wesson, or Nighthawk?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Wow that's a looker, what a seriously pretty piece. I'm a DW guy, but this is really fetching. And in my favorite caliber. Dibs when you want to sell it (as long as it doesn't have the 1d10t scratch)!! Please tell me this is a Series 70 setup, I've never been fond of the Series 80 as the triggers don't feel quite as connected IMHO.

*Edit - found a YouTube field strip video, and it looks like a Series 70.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Bul makes some nice pieces. Way back in the early 2000s, I had a polymer framed Bul M5 1911 in .45, also a commander length. Shared the same mags as the Kimber polymer framed 45s. Bul actually made the frames for Kimber. That’s one I wish I still had. Nothing like 15 rounds of 45 in a commander length 1911.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Wow that's a looker, what a seriously pretty piece. I'm a DW guy, but this is really fetching. And in my favorite caliber. Dibs when you want to sell it (as long as it doesn't have the 1d10t scratch)!! Please tell me this is a Series 70 setup, I've never been fond of the Series 80 as the triggers don't feel quite as connected IMHO.

*Edit - found a YouTube field strip video, and it looks like a Series 70.
    Yes, definitely series 70.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Bul makes some nice pieces. Way back in the early 2000s, I had a polymer framed Bul M5 1911 in .45, also a commander length. Shared the same mags as the Kimber polymer framed 45s. Bul actually made the frames for Kimber. That’s one I wish I still had. Nothing like 15 rounds of 45 in a commander length 1911.
    Do they still make them?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Do they still make them?
    I wish they did…. I’d have another one in a heartbeat. Kick myself over and over for selling the one I had. Gunbroker or guns America might be the best place to find one. I snagged mine back in the day from Russ Elmore at his original shop in Greenwood.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nice score sarge. Those aren't easy to come by, especially in a Cmndr.. I haven't been able to come across any for quite awhile. You did good to pull the trigger on one even if it's a 9mm when you had the chance.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nice-looking 1911 Commander 9mm...and glad to hear it functions smoothly and is accurate enough for you!
    Glad to hear that the only changes you want to make are merely cosmetic and not functionally-based!
    I prefer the Commander length 1911's as their 'fit-n-balance' seem just right for the overall weight of the pistol.
    AllenM can do a fantastic and quality bob-tail on it if you ever wish...depending on your grip comfort.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I did a little research. Says they are out of Israel. They made firearms for Israeli police and military but those are CZ 75 clones.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Beautiful gun!! I'd love to have a commander sized 9mm 1911... I had a Double stack Polymer frame BUL 1911, full size, only 1 10 round mag, but shot sweet.. Enjoy your gun, those Israeli's make some great guns!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I ordered a Stan Chen Custom 'shooter installed' magwell as I had never tried one before. The magwell is awesome, the best one I have tried to far. They are supposed to fit most factory magwell bevels pretty close and this one did not disappoint, the only thing I did was trim the front points back a bit but that just took a few minutes with the file. Added a new hammer as I detest those slotted race looking hammers. Added some more sedate grip screws and I have some black grips coming as well. I also ordered a solid Greider trigger. The trigger pull on this one was actually very nice but since I got the new hammer anyway I tweaked the hammer hooks and sear a bit, I was actually pretty impressed with the factory sear and the little touches they did to the sear spring that you don't normally see on a factory gun.

ZwUU3lml.jpg

Zche36zl.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I added a few little upgrades to the BUL. I added that Chen magwell I posted about above and then ordered some plain black checkered G10 grips and some plain stainless grip screws. I also put in a solid Greider medium trigger and a hammer that is a bit more to my liking vs. that weird split hammer it comes with. While I had it apart I tweaked the trigger a bit but really it came pretty nice from the factory. The cuts are Novak so I ordered a night sight front and got that installed pretty easy but the cut was a tad deep so I had to carefully file the flat on top of the slide but just a hair. When you get inside these they are pretty impressive, a lot of little details. The grip screws come with rubber o rings to keep the grip screws in, the sear spring has the right bevels, polished disconnector among a few things.

R76YPmWl.jpg

8IW1s8ol.jpg

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Sarge, I cannot stop looking at your BUL. Good Lord it's a specimen. I still think the original grips looked nice, but... sheesh, I really like every single change you've made to this. The magwell is a nice touch, and that front sight looks ace.

Top Bottom