• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Anybody have one of these? I am thinking about buying one from Centerfire systems as they have them on sale for $399 with 4 magazines. So has anybody shot one of these or handeled one? Just trying to see if they are decent before I buy one, and if they're not I thought about getting an upper for my AR in 5.45, Thanks! :D

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have one, and posted some pics eariler in the "CIA Draco vs AK74" thread (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/145537-drako_or_cia_ak74.html). As with all things Century, it's important (to me) to inspect the weapon before buying. CAI's warranty and QC suck too much for me to buy one sight unseen... even then some of the 5.45 Century Tantels keyhole. My eyes can't account for that, but I got lucky and my AK doesn't keyhole, and it may not even be an issue anymore but I'm still wary of CAI. :twocents:

ETA: The plastic furniture sucks on them.

Last edited:

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    Bulgy ak 74

I have three 74's and love them! I do not own a century build but a friend of mine does, he bought it at 21st Century and the finish is ok but it shoots very nice!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I would be very wary of buying any Century AK-74 as I have read that Century at one time used 5.56 barrels instead of the 5.45 caliber that AK-74's use, hence the keyholing issue. Believable story, as this sounds like the sub-par quality that Century is infamous for.

That said, Boston's Gun Bible rates the AK-74 high if you get one that is accurate. For $400 I would try it and if it doesn't meet your standards of accuracy, you can always trade it off or sell it.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Son has one and it has been a very good shooter. Keyholing is a major problem with the Tantals but the recent 74s don't seem to have the issue.

You can go down to Centerfire and inspect the rifles before you buy right there. Those rifles were $369 with 4 mags a while back.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    It would probably be worth it to take a trip down to centerfire, good idea! Ammo is cheap for the 74 right now and I sort of want an AK. Thanks for the info everybody! :yesway:

Last time I stopped in there was a sign that said they would charge you for looking at more than 2 (I think it was 2) firearms... something like $10 if memory serves.

Also, if you buy it there and then you'll pay sales tax.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I bought the Centerfire AK 74 last Novemember. I was travel thru KY and stopped and they allowed me to select my rifle - no problems with canting. Mine had some minor breakin issues but has been running great since around round 300. It is a blast and the ammo from AIM is cheap. Mine was built on the NoDak receive and had the topco 2 trigger - very light, like 3 pound. I mounted a 2x7 scope and I'm good for a 3" group at 100 yards. Mine was around $369 with 3 mags so prices the price is still good.
    If your expecting a fun plinker that uses cheap ammo - you have the right gun. If you want to shoot tight groups at 100 yards you probably need to move into the $600-1,000 range AK.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I am looking for a fun gun to shoot fairly cheap yes, but I can't spend the money at this point so I am going to try and trade for one. Thanks for the great input guys! I appreciate it a lot. :yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom