• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking for the best place to buy bulk shotgun rounds, target, buck and slugs. I tried ammoengine but it doesn't do shotgun. Google search came up more or less blank. I usually buy the 100 rd packs from walmart for target rounds and I don't think that price can be beat.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The Federal target rounds from WallyWorld are about as inexpensive as it gets.
    I buy my bulk 00buck (LE132-00) from Ammunitiontogo.com, though I did score on a few hundred rounds of it at the last 1500.
    For slugs, I usually Winchester Ranger low recoil slugs and I've been finding them at the 1500 for about $12 per box of 25, though they can usually be found online for about the same price. I go through vastly more of the Federal target rounds than anything else...

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Some of the gun clubs can get you a better price on Remington STS or AA's, with a bulk order. The STS and AA hulls can be reloaded many more times than the cheap hulls. For cheap bulk ammo, non-premium hulls, Walmart 100 packs are about the cheapest out there.

Reloaded ammo can beat that, but it'll take some time to work off the capital costs of the equipment. The biggest reloading cost advantage is the money you save on steel, Tungsten, slugs, and other hunting loads.

Make a friend at the range, and either sell your hulls to offset costs, or borrow a rig once a month and start reloading.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    6birds is correct about reloading. I used to reload when I shot trap daily and that got the costs down a bit, but at this point in my life, buying the cheap practice target rounds is more economical than taking the time to load them myself.

If Federal would ever turn lose of their Flitecontrol wads at the bulk level, I'd load every single one of my own loads...I'd find the time.....

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    As long as we're wishing here, put me down for a bulk order of Black Cloud pellets in #2, I love that stuff.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not a wingshooter but I've read plenty of good things about that stuff. If Federal would offer their wads to reloaders, it could revolutionize a couple of the shooting sports, especially "tactical" competitions and 3-gun. :twocents:

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    you actually get a better deal buying the blue target federal boxes one at a time at wally world. it is 4.99 for 25 rounds. you also can get # 6 shot wich i use for hunting and practice on the clay, but 8 and 7.5 are available as well. it works out 3 to 5 dollars cheaper then the value packs of 100 rounds and no number 6 available. sga ammo has the best bulk slugs and buckshot.

the federal low recoil slugs are $160 for 250 rounds and the riot 9 pellet buck shoots great for $109 for 250 rounds. the low recoil is much nicer on the shoulder and quicker follow up shots over the high recoil. both look the same but don't feel the same. i use high for hunting yotes and low for home defense.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Watch for sales and rebates. I usually buy 10 or 20 boxes at a time of Remington Gunclub or Federal ammo, whatever they will let me have. Sometimes you can get the store sale, and still use the rebate. I buy even when I do not need any shells to get the price, I use them eventually. I have not had to pump the handle on my shot shell reloader for about 3 years.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you really want to save money, you can start casting your own slugs and buck-shot and load your own.

But for buying, I think the posters above pretty much covered it.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I use to re-load my own when I shot in a league but I havent done it in years..is it still cheaper to re-load? I know towards the end I really wasnt saving a whole lot.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I think the Dick's stores around here still have Gun Club at $4.98 a box. I buy these up when they get to this price and then reload them. Setting aside the cost of the press, I can reload 12ga for trap at about $3.50 a box using the GC spent hulls. Takes buying wads, shot, and primers in bulk quantities. Certainly, my time is worth something, but I enjoy the reloading so I'm not counting that in the cost. Something satisfying about dusting those clays with homemade loads.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I use to re-load my own when I shot in a league but I havent done it in years..is it still cheaper to re-load? I know towards the end I really wasnt saving a whole lot.
    Depends how you look at it.

If you're buying in bulk there is certainly money to be saved. But if you "figure in your time" then it comes out as a wash.

IMHO, "figure in your time" is a crock anyways. The only time you should ever figure in your time is when you're losing real money elsewhere by spending your time doing that.
    Some good examples of when it is acceptable to figure in your time.
    #1, You are given the opportunity to work OT at work earning extra wages but you choose to reload shotshells instead. Then you can figure in your time for the equivalent net income you lost giving up those hours.
    #2, You are trying to perform necessary repairs on your house, the repairs, nor loading shotshells can wait. You give up on the repairs and hire an outside company to do them so you can load shotshells. In this case you can figure in your time for the money you shelled out to the company for repairs.

Not good examples:
    #1 You normally come home and watch tv while eating dinner and let your wife clean up the kitchen. Instead of your normal routine you decided to load shotshells. You cannot "figure in your time" in this situation because you wouldn't be doing a da** thing with your time if you weren't loading shotshells.

#2 You normally go out to a bar with friends but instead you stay home to load shotshells. Unless your friends are paying you to go to the bars with them, you can't figure in your time in this instance.

:twocents:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Depends how you look at it.

If you're buying in bulk there is certainly money to be saved. But if you "figure in your time" then it comes out as a wash.

IMHO, "figure in your time" is a crock anyways. The only time you should ever figure in your time is when you're losing real money elsewhere by spending your time doing that.
    Some good examples of when it is acceptable to figure in your time.
    #1, You are given the opportunity to work OT at work earning extra wages but you choose to reload shotshells instead. Then you can figure in your time for the equivalent net income you lost giving up those hours.
    #2, You are trying to perform necessary repairs on your house, the repairs, nor loading shotshells can wait. You give up on the repairs and hire an outside company to do them so you can load shotshells. In this case you can figure in your time for the money you shelled out to the company for repairs.

Not good examples:
    #1 You normally come home and watch tv while eating dinner and let your wife clean up the kitchen. Instead of your normal routine you decided to load shotshells. You cannot "figure in your time" in this situation because you wouldn't be doing a da** thing with your time if you weren't loading shotshells.

#2 You normally go out to a bar with friends but instead you stay home to load shotshells. Unless your friends are paying you to go to the bars with them, you can't figure in your time in this instance.

:twocents:

yeah..my time isnt worth much:):
    I actually enjoyed reloading my own shells...maybe Ill get back into it in the near future. Im going to start saving all my AA hulls.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With shot prices well over $35 per bag, cheap powder prices hard to find and primers about double price, the price of reloading is getting close to new discount house shells. Now you are doing good if you load for $3.50 per box, and that is if you already own the hulls.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    With shot prices well over $35 per bag, cheap powder prices hard to find and primers about double price, the price of reloading is getting close to new discount house shells. Now you are doing good if you load for $3.50 per box, and that is if you already own the hulls.
    I haven't priced shot in a couple months, but last I checked bulk buys could get it down closer to $25. Last time I actually purchased any real amount of shot was the good ole days, closer to $15/bag.

BTW, if anybody does a bulk buy on shot, let me know, I have a few bags (not many, but a few) to add to your order so maybe you can get a little better price.

Top Bottom