• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    What's an acceptable bullet extreme spread and standard deviation for 22 long rifle ammo 22 nrl/prs competition. Currently shooting a tikka t1x 16in barrel using cci standard velocity and seeing an es of 59 fps and sd of 13.41 at 1096 fps average. I know there is extremely better quality ammo to be used but just getting into the sport and budget minded ammo is what I need to have for the time being.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Um, uh, don't worry about it. Spend more time practicing. Do not worry about the quality of this ammo or the reputation of that ammo. Practice, practice & practice some more. If you feel the need to question any part of your rig, upgrade the trigger.
    I shoot high power, I have seen 200 FPS spread at 300 yards and both shots were in the X ring.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I was told by a college shooting coach that 10-ring ammo doesn't help unless you're a 10-ring skill level shooter. Airgun and smallbore shooters with 8 ring skill can practice with 8 ring ammo because a 8 ring shot with 10 ring ammo still only scores a 8, whereas a 8 ring shot with 8 ring ammo will score from 6-10, averaging 8, same as the shooter skill level. CCI SV is fine to practice position skill sets.

Practice, practice, practice, occasionally testing your skill level with better ammo. You'll know when you're ready for the good stuff.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    In my experience chrono tests don't really have the impact that they would appear to have. It seems like all .22 LR guns prefer one ammo over another and this can vary from the exact same manufacturers and model of guns. Olympic shooters have their ammo tested by gun and if a certain lot number of .22 ammo shoots the best, they order it by the cases for that gun. Not being on that level and not having the same resources, just make sure that your ammo groups reasonably well and is affordable. You should also make sure that your gun is set up for optimum performance and train, train, train!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I was told by a college shooting coach that 10-ring ammo doesn't help unless you're a 10-ring skill level shooter. Airgun and smallbore shooters with 8 ring skill can practice with 8 ring ammo because a 8 ring shot with 10 ring ammo still only scores a 8, whereas a 8 ring shot with 8 ring ammo will score from 6-10, averaging 8, same as the shooter skill level. CCI SV is fine to practice position skill sets.

Practice, practice, practice, occasionally testing your skill level with better ammo. You'll know when you're ready for the good stuff.
    Lots of wisdom in those words.

Something else to think about, I have lower end rifles that shoot "the good stuff" (RWS) as good or poor as cheap CCI ....then again my Anschutz will shoot CCI as good as RWS .....

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    In my experience chrono tests don't really have the impact that they would appear to have. It seems like all .22 LR guns prefer one ammo over another and this can vary from the exact same manufacturers and model of guns. Olympic shooters have their ammo tested by gun and if a certain lot number of .22 ammo shoots the best, they order it by the cases for that gun. Not being on that level and not having the same resources, just make sure that your ammo groups reasonably well and is affordable. You should also make sure that your gun is set up for optimum performance and train, train, train!
    I wanted to be one of those Olympic smallbore guys.....lots of practice......practice until reading the wind & all your shots are "on call"

Top Bottom