• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestBAL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    So I work in a dental office and we went to work this morning and found 2 bullet holes in our waiting room glass. We always get there when its dark and leave when its dark...very depressing...but I am also worried when we leave in the dark because our parking lot is not lit up and I keep the gun in the car so it doesn't do me much good. Made a police report, but this just fuels the fire about me being worried when I walk to my car in the pitch black alone every night. At first the bullet holes looked like a perfect round hole for a 9mm or 40, but when we found the bullets they are like metal balls a little bigger than a marble.... could probably be shot from a paintball gun? But whether it is a hate crime or just vandlism it is still serious and has me more concerned. I do not work in what I would have thought to be a bad area.... I did grab my gun and put it in my purse after seeing the window so I would be prepared tonight when leaving. Can I get in trouble for having it in my purse at work even though I have a license to carry?

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Can you get in trouble.... That depends on your company's policy for carry, or if they ever find out you have it in your purse.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So I work in a dental office and we went to work this morning and found 2 bullet holes in our waiting room glass. We always get there when its dark and leave when its dark...very depressing...but I am also worried when we leave in the dark because our parking lot is not lit up and I keep the gun in the car so it doesn't do me much good. Made a police report, but this just fuels the fire about me being worried when I walk to my car in the pitch black alone every night. At first the bullet holes looked like a perfect round hole for a 9mm or 40, but when we found the bullets they are like metal balls a little bigger than a marble.... could probably be shot from a paintball gun? But whether it is a hate crime or just vandlism it is still serious and has me more concerned. I do not work in what I would have thought to be a bad area.... I did grab my gun and put it in my purse after seeing the window so I would be prepared tonight when leaving. Can I get in trouble for having it in my purse at work even though I have a license to carry?

Only by your employer. You are breaking no laws. Stay safe.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    If they are steel, there's a good chance they are just slingshot ammo.

Just finding a couple of holes in a window doesn't even come close to fitting the legal definition of a "hate crime."

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    when we found the bullets they are like metal balls a little bigger than a marble....

Bearings or sling shot ammo, 3/8's steel shot is 9.5mm.

3-8steel.jpg

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Maybe a high lumen tactical flashight with strobe option? Mace? Stun gun?
    Pickup a solar security motion floodlight?
    Do you have a car alarm with remote panic button?
    Some ideas. Stay safe.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Back on topic, boys...

I wouldn't care if it was a slingshot, a blowgun, or space invaders, if OkieGirl found that upon arriving at work I would lose my mind.

She faces the same dilemma that the OP is asking about. I don't think much of the tactic "Oh, wait while I run out to my vehicle to retrieve my firearm that I have to defend myself". Statistics show women particularly vulnerable to violent crime yet we don't provide any special provision for them to counter the statistics. :xmad:

Concealed means not drawing attention.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    If you can document a hazard, you might be able to get your local police to have an officer in the PL at Miller time...

It would probalby take mroe than one incidnet like the to get the police presence, though. Did the police conclude whtehr it was from a firearm or slingshot? If the latter and there's been no other incidents, then perhaps its merely some kids out valdalizing. Not that that is goo or OK. but you may not really havae a lot to worry about.

How many people are in your office and do they all leave around the same time? If so, there may be safety in numbers. Just make sure that you are all accoutnable to each other and leave in a group or groups. be ready to call 911 and liek others have said, have noice or panic alram stuff, pepper spray available.

Here's hoping it was a one-time thing and you won;t need to worry in the future!

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Back on topic, boys...

I wouldn't care if it was a slingshot, a blowgun, or space invaders, if OkieGirl found that upon arriving at work I would lose my mind.

She faces the same dilemma that the OP is asking about. I don't think much of the tactic "Oh, wait while I run out to my vehicle to retrieve my firearm that I have to defend myself". Statistics show women particularly vulnerable to violent crime yet we don't provide any special provision for them to counter the statistics. :xmad:

Concealed means not drawing attention.

...and here I was trying to not draw attention...

Any object capable of making a hole in the glass poses a threat to your safety. I have an employer who does not allow employees to carry weapons of any kind on the property, I have state laws that protect me to the point of trumping their policy in the parking lot...and yes, I do have my LTCH. While I don't like the policy I do conform to it to remain gainfully employed. I do not check my brain at the door however. I know where my exits are, I have taken USEFULL self defense classes for someone my size, I park where I can see my car from the door, and leave in groups whenever possible. I knew that policy when I accepted the terms of employment. For the OP, their safety has been put into question with this event. I think a formal request for a secure work environment is realistic; put it in writing, ask for a copy of the police report, be certain what the employers written policy on their commitment to your safety is. It is not OK to sweep it under the rug and they do need to provide you with a safe working environment. It may only translate to asking to have a LEO drive thru the parking lot at closing time, or adjusting the hours of operation to ensure staff aren't coming/going in the dark, or having doors that lock behind when closed and incoming patients have to be buzzed in. Either way, use your head. It's your life and safety and ultimately up to you. :twocents:

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You've had shots at your office so you'll have to change all your "no shot, no drill" dental ads now. :):

Security in the dental office, yeah, I've thought about it. :D

Some random thoughts:

There are many issues, like possibly keeping your job by simply having the firearm accessible if, in my opinion, your boss is an idiot. What is the practice safety plan, and if that consists solely of "call 911":rolleyes: what is YOUR personal plan.

Your defense plan is going to be greatly different depending on the scenario. As a EDDA you spend most of the day elbow deep in and focused on a patient so being caught off guard is likely. If it's a drive by, you won't have much time to do anything but get cover, a psycho pt in the waiting room and you may hear the situation escalating early enough to do something.
    In the dental assistant position, there are too many variables for anyone to give very specific advice that would apply to your situation. It may be next to worthless to carry in your purse if you have to lock everything in a locker while you are with patients. If office culture is such that your purse is handy that is different. (It will still be safer to have it in your purse so it is accessable on your way to and from your car) What is the floor plan of your practice and what are the possibilities and likely entry points of a BG. What walls are cover and which ones are concealment? The nice brick fireplace in the waiting room, the steel lining of an autoclave chamber, file cabinet full of paper charts, or the book case in the Dr. office might stop a bullet, drywall will not.

A LOT of force on force classes are almost ideal for dental assistants since you have MANY improvised weapons at arms length. A straight elevator will fill in as a knife with most all force on force techniques I've learned. It isn't that you should take these classes if you work in a bad area...everyone should take these classes!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    A small pistol/revolver in a belly band carried around appendix area is quite concealable under scrubs...just saying.

Top Bottom