• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    in light of the Africa mall shootings i found myself asking if a vest/or a plate carrier would stop a magnum 12ga slug? If you were on the second floor of dicks in gwood for instance there would be a considerable advantage over an attacker. The only two ways up are the escalators and the elevator assuming of course you couldn't get to safety and had to fight. I dont believe the terrorist were armored but it did seem like an interesting topic at least to me. I wouldn't be in dicks sporting goods for the stance they took on ar15s but i still wondered the effects of slugs on vests.

I also couldn't remember if during the north Hollywood shootout if the police had slugs or just buckshot. Im also inclined to think that a slug without penetration could be temporarily incapacitating.

So does anyone have experience with this?

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    id like to think a 12 ga slug would blow through the plate.. but the other side of me hopes it doesnt... time for range time testing?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    A 12ga 3" Slug, may not penetrate the plate, but my guess is that it will knock em on their ass, and take the fight out of them.

Last edited:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    A 12ga 3" Slug, may not penetrate the plate, but my guess is that it will knock em on your their ass, and take the fight out of them.

this is what i assumed... never having been shot with a slug thankfully but having shot deer trees cinder blocks ect it seems like it would be the equivelent of being hit with a 2 pound sledge.

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    "Plan on a broken rib or two ....." or 20.

My guess would be that even if the vest stopped the projectile your body would have to absorb all of that energy and it just might kill you anyway.

Running through a KE calculator ... you could be talking as much as 2000 ft lbs of energy ... about the equivalent of getting run over by a 78 Buick.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    The officers in the North Hollywood shooting did not have slugs, only buckshot. One officer was able to get a good hit with buckshot, but id didn't even slow the suspect down, just diverted his attention to the officer that shot him. A slug could have stopped that gunfight, even if it wouldn't have penetrated the body armor. Cops have been shot in the vest with slugs before and survived.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Good question. Level II-A, II and III-A soft armor all stop the majority of pistol projectiles you're likely to encounter (plus 12 gauge, OO buckshot) although the blunt trauma experienced is less as the protection level increases.

Not sure whether the soft armor will stop 12 ga slug off the top of my head. Plates are rated to stop 12 slugs.

Edit: Box of truth test shows no penetration on IIIa, but significant backside deformation (as expected, ouch). Better than nothing, but you could die from the blunt trauma.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16_4.htm

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    3A soft armor will stop up to .44mag and .357sig it will also stop 12 gauge but the BFT is likely to kill you anyway. Dont think i would wear plates unless i knew 100% that i was going to get shot at they're just too heavy and bulky.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    3A soft armor will stop up to .44mag and .357sig it will also stop 12 gauge but the BFT is likely to kill you anyway. Dont think i would wear plates unless i knew 100% that i was going to get shot at they're just too heavy and bulky.

and I will add that the splatter from a AR500 plate will hurt you as well.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Good question. Level II-A, II and III-A soft armor all stop the majority of pistol projectiles you're likely to encounter (plus 12 gauge, OO buckshot) although the blunt trauma experienced is less as the protection level increases.

Not sure whether the soft armor will stop 12 ga slug off the top of my head. It's not really "rated" to do that (too much blunt trauma I expect). Plates are rated to stop 12 slugs.

Edit: Box of truth test shows no penetration on IIIa, but significant backside deformation (as expected, ouch). Better than nothing, but you could die from the blunt trauma.

The Box O' Truth #16 - Level IIIA Armor - Page 4

What would the deterioration rate of the plate be before its powder so to speak? I consider myself a proficient marksman with a gun during semi stressed times, buck fever, and would like to believe i could put multiple hits on target at say 50-75yds. I most often think of magnum slugs as the fusion slugs or the hornady ballistic or solid copper slugs. Not that any of these are designed for poking holes in Kevlar i would just be interested in seeing different test with different projectile. Ill see if i cant find some youtube testing with different slugs or projectiles.

This was a question of impact on the BG i dont wear armor at the mall i feel its tacky.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Deer hunting, and mortal combat are two completely different types of stress, not even comparable. I would be surprised if any person not experienced in combat could make multiple hits on a man size target at 75 yards with a 12 guage. (I am assuming since most people don't carry their shotgun into dicks that the OP was thinking about the ability to get from from the gun counter)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    FYI, current NIJ standard is here fwiw - https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf

While level IIIA might stop 12 ga slug, as the BOT test above shows, nothing below level III has to be tested against shoulder fired arms to meet the rating standard. In fact, there's no mention of 12 gauge i the NIJ standard. So, you'd be "on your own" using something less than level III with the expectation of it stopping 12 ga slug with acceptable backside deformation.

See also last 2 posts (9 and 10) of this thread: Slugs vs. Soft Body Armor - The Firing Line Forums

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Energy will be transferred, and you could easily be killed with a magnum slug to the vest. It should not penetrate, but the sheer force alone.is enough to kill. I saw that Gander Mountain carries the barrier penetration slugs from Brenekke in.Castleton now, I wonder what those would do. They said they could penetrate the engine block on the back of the box. Expensive things though.

Top Bottom