• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Anybody own bullet proof vests as part of their preparedness kits?

Know of better brands or better vendors? Looking for a light vest to stop .45 ACP. I think its time.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008

Know of better brands or better vendors? Looking for a light vest to stop .45 ACP. I think its time.

I have a Paca level IIA that I wore for the Sheriffs reserves. The Paca is comfortable to wear all day.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]NIJ - II-A .357 Magnum ( Part 2 )[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Projectile Caliber :[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1].357 Magnum[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cartridge Type:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]158 grain JSP[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Velocity Range:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1200 to 1300 ft/sec.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Number of Shots:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5 shot(s)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Shot Spacing:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]>2 in.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Velocity Measurement Distance:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6.6 ft from muzzle[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central

Time for what? You won't want to wear a vest all the time. HOT, sweaty, and will make you look fat. Wearing one on duty was smart. I did it. They work. I can personally testify of that.

But why a civilian and why now?

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    i used to have an old one years ago for just in case but the wife was always wanting to try it out(while it was on me lol)so it got gone.just never looked into buying another.guess i will keep track of this thread and take in the info also.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Ive thought about picking up one myself.

Be careful about buying a used one. Cheaper than dirt had some german surplus ones pretty reasonable but I think they were the zylon material that has been recalled.

Whats the old saying? Only buy a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head..

I used to have one of the flack vests they used to sell. A buddy of mine and myself took it out and shot the heck out of it. They are not kidding when they say are not bulletproof. I got some 9mm to penetrate both sides of that flack vest. Ah those were the good old days when you could get by with that kind of stuff at atterbury,

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    No such thing exist... bullet resistant vest.
    And yes, I own some.

Yup lol. Nothing is bullet proof - at least that you can wear. Even level IV vests are only rated for .30-06. A .50 BMG or 20mm will rip through anything. Ballistic vest or bullet resistant vest is the proper terminology as you have stated :)

FishersCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I think that is a good idea to have such items. There are a lot of preventive/emergency items I would have first- extra ammo, food, water, etc but if you can get a good vest (IIa, III, IIIa) without breaking the bank- I would. Just my $.02.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    If you've been issued one in the military or law enforcement, I was hoping to hear the maker and supplier of it.

Also, how it has worked out for you. A review of the vest.

Thanks guys, keep em coming.

As reserve police, we had to buy our own. I used the one I bought for armed security when I was 10-41 which was a Pacca level IIA. When I was active duty, I was issued a Second Chance Level IIIA with III plates which was heavy but a little lighter than my level IIIA with IV plates.

For comfort, I would recomend the Paca :twocents:

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    More important things...

I mean not to be disrespectful to your convictions. For me, I think a bullet proof vest isn't worth the trouble. If I were a LEO it would be good practice as a gunfight is a whole lot more likely. I think a good home security system might be money better spent. Good luck and stick to you gut.

Last edited:

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    I have an Interceptor IBA vest with inserts and plates. Heavy as anything but was given to me by a buddy in the Army. Wouldn't want to wear it all day and hope I'm never in the spot to need it but it is kind of neat to have. Also have all of the Molle stuff, pouches, throat and groin protector etc.

melloshmello

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    I have an Interceptor IBA vest with inserts and plates. Heavy as anything but was given to me by a buddy in the Army. Wouldn't want to wear it all day and hope I'm never in the spot to need it but it is kind of neat to have. Also have all of the Molle stuff, pouches, throat and groin protector etc.

i have the same, but minus the plates and pouches. been looking at a bunch of MOLLE gear and trying to find some decently priced plates for me..

have to say, the vest itself was the best thirty bucks ive ever paid. :P

pbshoot4fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    I mean not to be disrespectful to your convictions. For me, I think a bullet proof vest isn't worth the trouble. If I were a LEO it would be good practice as a gunfight is a whole lot more likely. I think a good home security system might be money better spent. Good luck and stick to you gut.

Sticking with his gut is why he's interested in the vest in the first place.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

You MAY be in possession of stolen government property so you might want to lighten up on letting the fact you have it.:twocents:
    Bob

Top Bottom