• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Our sump pump recently went out, and with the recent typhoons across Indiana, our basement became a small manmade lake.

The upside of this is that my parents and I went through an impressive amount of accumulated crap and threw it away, and my dad and I used the opportunity to rearrange our work areas (he builds muzzleloaders), so it was a silver lining of sorts.

He's getting ready to buy a casting setup for round balls, and I told him I'd go in on it with him, and we could get it set up so it's useful to the both of us.

I'm up to reloading six cartridges on my 550, and that, plus the potential to start casting my own, makes it apparent that I need a better way to store bullets. Brass is in Rubbermade totes, powder is on a wall mounted shelf, and the bullets are scattered all over.

What are some brilliant ideas you guys have come up with (so that I can steal them!)? I'm considering AkroBins, but don't know where to get them locally.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Our sump pump recently went out, and with the recent typhoons across Indiana, our basement became a small manmade lake.

The upside of this is that my parents and I went through an impressive amount of accumulated crap and threw it away, and my dad and I used the opportunity to rearrange our work areas (he builds muzzleloaders), so it was a silver lining of sorts.

He's getting ready to buy a casting setup for round balls, and I told him I'd go in on it with him, and we could get it set up so it's useful to the both of us.

I'm up to reloading six cartridges on my 550, and that, plus the potential to start casting my own, makes it apparent that I need a better way to store bullets. Brass is in Rubbermade totes, powder is on a wall mounted shelf, and the bullets are scattered all over.

What are some brilliant ideas you guys have come up with (so that I can steal them!)? I'm considering AkroBins, but don't know where to get them locally.

i remodel houses and oneof the houses that had ugly functional kitchen cabients that we were replacing i took the cabients and lined the walls of my reloading room. i store everything but brass there

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Storage

I assume you are talking about loaded cartridges? If so, I would think it's hard to beat GI ammo cans. Different sizes, sealed, and easy to stack. Put a letter or number on the end. Using the letter or number, you can use a database or pad of paper to track what's in each can. Just be careful, the LARGE ones can get very heavy...:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If they're still bullets and/or boolets, then I'd imagine just whatever lidded container you want would work.

Coffee cans / tins, peanut cans (the tall plastic 1lb ones w/screw on lid), 2.5lb butter containers, ice cream containers, etc.

Now for loaded ammo, you're going to want to pay more attention to the water/air tightness if you're storing them in a damp or potentially damp area.

-J-

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I keep bullets in their original packaging and those inside generic plastic totes.

Loaded ammo is spread over a variety of MTM cases that I stack in piles.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ammo cans are typically reserved for loaded ammo at my place.

Bullets go into those empty red plastic coffee cans. I get them from work and they work great for it. I can stack them 5+ high with brass before they crush or 2-3 high with bullets before they crush.

ETA, if anybody needs/wants some I can get all you want from work. There are currently 20+ sitting on top of the fridge empty, waiting to be taken.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Loaded ammo goes in 50 cal ammo cans and stacked. Components go in plastic buckets or those clear PET jars everything comes in these days.:)

Top Bottom