• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I'm actually surprised they dropped the bullet tax. Chicago is totally broke and going further in debt. The gun tax I'm only surprised by how low the tax is for guns in Chicago.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Have an ammo tax or much of a gun tax and people just buy in the 'burbs or Indiana. You put local businesses out of business...then no tax at all.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    True, but that ain't going to happen. On the federal level, Jesse Jackson, Jr. has been in various kinds of treatment for substance and emotional issues for months, is barely seen in public, and will win his district in a landslide on Tuesday. That tells me everything I need to know about the electorate. Junior's opponent is a fine, intelligent man of integrity....but he's not a Democrat and he's not the hand picked candidate, so he doesn't have a chance even against a guy who hasn't shown up to work in months and refuses to give any satisfactory answers about why.

That's Chicago.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Let me see.
    There's gonna be a $2 million dollar expenditure.
    They were only "estimated" their income of only $1 million.
    Now, it's only going to be "estimated" at $0.6 million.

And that math doesn't raise any questions?

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Let me see.
    There's gonna be a $2 million dollar expenditure.
    They were only "estimated" their income of only $1 million.
    Now, it's only going to be "estimated" at $0.6 million.

And that math doesn't raise any questions?

Not for the people running the government. Just look at the school in IL. They are rated so low because they teach math like that.

Also don't forget they are not spending their money and they don't care about if they run over to much money.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    From the article:

"Father Michael Pfleger, pastor of Chicago's St. Sabina Church, said the tax would make a difference, just as cigarette taxes affected cigarette consumption. He called gun violence "the undeclared disaster," and said that in his South Side neighborhood a gun could be bought for as little as $20."

A. They won't collect tax money on a gun bought on the street.
    B. Do these $20 guns even work?
    C. Is this the same Pfleger I've seen on talk shows, that is a total liberal wacko?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    From the article:

"Father Michael Pfleger, pastor of Chicago's St. Sabina Church, said the tax would make a difference, just as cigarette taxes affected cigarette consumption. He called gun violence "the undeclared disaster," and said that in his South Side neighborhood a gun could be bought for as little as $20."

A. They won't collect tax money on a gun bought on the street.
    B. Do these $20 guns even work?
    C. Is this the same Pfleger I've seen on talk shows, that is a total liberal wacko?

I started laughing when I read that quote. To respond to your statements:
    A) Exactly why this tax wont work it doesn't tax criminals who by most if not all guns through private sales.
    B) Yes they work, they are probably stolen and/or have been used in a crime previously.
    C) :dunno: but I would guess so.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Bunch of idiots taxing the legal purchase of firearms, how does this effect the criminals that are causing these rash of gun violence in the city.Plus everyone in Illinois knows all the good gun stores are outside of Cook County and will just force the people to go outside of Cook to make there purchases.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Have an ammo tax or much of a gun tax and people just buy in the 'burbs or Indiana. You put local businesses out of business...then no tax at all.

Exactly. I commute back and forth between Chicago and Terre Haute and occasionally I would pick up some ammo on my way back home if I was going shooting that Saturday morning. Now I just don't bother at all, prices got much higher and they make you feel like a criminal while you are giving them your business. Ammo tax got dropped but I just wont buy anything there on simple principal.

They don't realize that you can't just simply tax your way out of debt.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Exactly. I commute back and forth between Chicago and Terre Haute and occasionally I would pick up some ammo on my way back home if I was going shooting that Saturday morning. Now I just don't bother at all, prices got much higher and they make you feel like a criminal while you are giving them your business. Ammo tax got dropped but I just wont buy anything there on simple principal.

They don't realize that you can't just simply tax your way out of debt.

It's not really about tax or debt.

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The senior executive of the county that includes Chicago dropped a proposed tax on bullets on Wednesday but kept a plan to tax firearms to help defray healthcare expenses associated with the high rate of gun.

"It is very important to us to tax guns because we know that guns are the sources of the incredible violence we have in our neighborhoods," Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle told a news conference. She said 29 percent of guns used in crimes in Chicago were purchased legally in suburban Cook County.
    First, apparently proofreading is no longer important now that print media is mostly going online. What exactly is the "high rate of gun"?

To think that guns are the sources of the incredible violence they have in their neighborhoods is about as silly as blaming gang colors. I dunno, do gangs do that anymore? "Colors" seems so 80s. But for the sake of argument let's say they do. Why not then tax, say, the color red?

And not that I would concede that as many as 29% of guns used in crimes were legally purchased, what about the the 71% that weren't?

Personally I think that violent people are the sources of the incredible violence they have in their neighborhoods. Why not try to fix that?

Top Bottom