• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    With no more information to go on than that, I would have to say, "no, it won't matter at all". Bullet accuracy is predicated largely on shape, concentricity, weight distribution, and the rifle it's fired from, among other factors. Being off that little on weight isn't likely to be a big deal.

What make/weight of bullet was it ?

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    With no more information to go on than that, I would have to say, "no, it won't matter at all". Bullet accuracy is predicated largely on shape, concentricity, weight distribution, and the rifle it's fired from, among other factors. Being off that little on weight isn't likely to be a big deal.

What make/weight of bullet was it ?
    don`t know what make of bullet, it`s 55gr 224 full metal jacket. I have used montana gold in the past and got better results, but these guys are all over the place. the rifle is a ar15 with a new match rainer 16in. stainless barrel, thought the barrel would help and it did a little

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    don`t know what make of bullet, it`s 55gr 224 full metal jacket. I have used montana gold in the past and got better results, but these guys are all over the place. the rifle is a ar15 with a new match rainer 16in. stainless barrel, thought the barrel would help and it did a little

OK, being off .5 grains on a 55gr bullet is 1%...that's not enough for your groups to be "all over the place". If your gun shoots a decent group with factory ammo, you can pretty much bet that these bullets are not the problem in your reloads. Have you tried factory ammo from this gun?

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Sounds like more of a diameter problem than a weight problem. Have you measured any of them? If you do measure them check the diameter in more than one spot. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I bought 1000 blemished 139 gr hornady IB's that are +/- 1 grain and everywhere in between. Haven't noticed any meaningful degradation in accuraacy, even compared to the SST's I keep on the shelf that are all within .1 grain.

I would not worry about it in your AR unless you're shooting competition at longer ranges - but 55 is generally thought of as too light for that anyway.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    OK, being off .5 grains on a 55gr bullet is 1%...that's not enough for your groups to be "all over the place". If your gun shoots a decent group with factory ammo, you can pretty much bet that these bullets are not the problem in your reloads. Have you tried factory ammo from this gun?
    I bought some factory ammo today and also loaded some of the bullets in question, and its off to the range when this hot weather breaks, maybe sunday. thankyou all for your reply.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I bought some factory ammo today and also loaded some of the bullets in question, and its off to the range when this hot weather breaks, maybe sunday. thankyou all for your reply.
    made it to the range today, did much better with factory ammo. I would post a picture but don`t know how

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    made it to the range today, did much better with factory ammo. I would post a picture but don`t know how

So, the next step is to figure out how to make your handloads shoot as well, which probably means finding the right powder charge and/or seating depth you'll need.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    with factory ammo the gun shot .75 in. group@50 yards, with my hand loads it shot a 3.75in.group@50 yards. I really don`t know where to begin with that much of a difference.:dunno:

I've seen .5gr of powder be the difference between 2.5" and .5", at 100 yards.

When it comes to reloading certain cartridges, the 223 being one of them, your best loads are usually going to come within a grain or two of max. Start low, work your way up, and you'll probably find something your gun likes. If not, another powder or bullet may be in order. If your gun will shoot solid groups, you can load rounds that will do the same, or even better. It just takes a little effort.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I've seen .5gr of powder be the difference between 2.5" and .5", at 100 yards.

When it comes to reloading certain cartridges, the 223 being one of them, your best loads are usually going to come within a grain or two of max. Start low, work your way up, and you'll probably find something your gun likes. If not, another powder or bullet may be in order. If your gun will shoot solid groups, you can load rounds that will do the same, or even better. It just takes a little effort.
    I loaaded up 50 rounds last night using hodgdon data. The data I was using was Sierra and was much hotter. Hodgdon max. for 55gr bullet is 23.1gr of H322, Sierra is 24.3, Sierra`s C.O.A.L is a bit longer (0.05). I started at 21 gr. of H322 and worked up to23gr. of H322 in .5gr. increments. I was using 23.7 gr. with no signs of over presure. One thing I did`t mention was it appears that the jacket does not fit the lead part of the bullet, there is about an 1/16 of an inch of copper jacket sticking past the base of the bullet, I have never seen this before. I will test these tuesday.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I loaaded up 50 rounds last night using hodgdon data. The data I was using was Sierra and was much hotter. Hodgdon max. for 55gr bullet is 23.1gr of H322, Sierra is 24.3, Sierra`s C.O.A.L is a bit longer (0.05). I started at 21 gr. of H322 and worked up to23gr. of H322 in .5gr. increments. I was using 23.7 gr. with no signs of over presure. One thing I did`t mention was it appears that the jacket does not fit the lead part of the bullet, there is about an 1/16 of an inch of copper jacket sticking past the base of the bullet, I have never seen this before. I will test these tuesday.

Hmm, that's an odd thing on the base of the jacket, and could well explain any accuracy issues. Good shooting and let us know if the groups are any better.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I shot the 50 rounds and they were as bad as ever, I also loaded some rounds with honady 55gr fmjbt and they worked almost as good as the factory. I think with a little tweeking I can get these to shoot as good as factory. I also emailed the seller of the bad bullets and he said he would give me a refund, very uncommon, so everthing turned out ok.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I shot the 50 rounds and they were as bad as ever, I also loaded some rounds with honady 55gr fmjbt and they worked almost as good as the factory. I think with a little tweeking I can get these to shoot as good as factory. I also emailed the seller of the bad bullets and he said he would give me a refund, very uncommon, so everthing turned out ok.

Glad to hear the Hornady 55gr FMJ's shot well for you and that you got your money back on the bum bullets. I'm all for economy for certain types of shooting, but for top-shelf accuracy, ya just can't scrimp on the bullets. If you get a quality bullet all lined up (concentricity is everything) with the neck, throat and bore of a decent rifle, good things tend to happen.

Let us know if you get those 55gr handloads shooting as good as factory! :)

Top Bottom