• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    Hello I have been shooting military and factory .223 rounds out of my AR. They have worked fine but i keep reading how people buying certain Gr bullets improve there groupings ten fold. My barrel is a 16" chrome lined 1x7 twist.

I am more or less looking for a good starting point for reloading a very good round fitted for my rifle. I know all function and shoot differently but a starting point would save alot of time.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    With a 1x7, go with a heavier bullet for better long range accuracy. Try something as high as 75gr but not much higher, if any. You can safely go as low as 40gn with a 1x7 but those are better for varmint hunting, not match.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Start with 55gr. FMJ..

Hello I have been shooting military and factory .223 rounds out of my AR. They have worked fine but i keep reading how people buying certain Gr bullets improve there groupings ten fold. My barrel is a 16" chrome lined 1x7 twist.

I am more or less looking for a good starting point for reloading a very good round fitted for my rifle. I know all function and shoot differently but a starting point would save alot of time.

To get the "Feel" of reloading, probably would be good to start with a 55 grain FMJ.

Get to know your way around, and then go with higher priced bullets..Bill

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Over the last 30 years, the gold standard for accuracy for the 223 is the 69 grain Sierra bullet at 2900 fps +. Nothing else has ever come close out of barrel twists from 1X7 to 1X9.

Until the 75 grain Hornady BTHP bullet came along.

The 75 groups slightly larger at 300 yards (1/4 minute) but more than makes up for the slightly larger group by being far less effected by wind changes than the 69 at 300 yards.

The 75 Hornady, having the same shape as the 69 shoots very well out of the same range of barrel twists as the 69. They all shoot this bullet very well.

For a baseline of what your rifle will do, start with the 69 BTHP.

Top Bottom