• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    Nothing like accidentally biting the bullet. lol. Looks cool, I'll probably stick with whiskey stones, or just keeping the bottle in the freezer.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Ah, the days of wasted youth.
    I was raised up in Texas by people that thought getting drunk and head lighting dinner was normal.
    Like sniping an armadillo from the back of a flat bed work truck and putting it under a fire. Tin foil, butter, onions, salt, pepper, new potatoes.
    So, what went together better than bullets and whiskey? Scuba and duck hunting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Not for me, 3 oz's whiskey 2 ice cubes. Let sit till the the cubes begin to melt. However, i went to a wedding this year and they used 357 brass casing on all the mens boutonnieres. I could see these being used for a similar application at a small wedding.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have a set of whiskey stones, but they don't do their job to chill down the brown. They warm too quickly. I wonder if the titanium would be better? Besides, I usually pour over a couple ice cubes in the glass as well...unless it's the PAPPY!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I have a set of whiskey stones, but they don't do their job to chill down the brown. They warm too quickly. I wonder if the titanium would be better? Besides, I usually pour over a couple ice cubes in the glass as well...unless it's the PAPPY!

Generally, a denser material ("heavier") will warm more slowly and do a better job of chilling your drink. Gold and lead would both be ideal from a thermodynamic standpoint, but are obviously not practical (cost) or suitable (lead poisoning).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Generally, a denser material ("heavier") will warm more slowly and do a better job of chilling your drink. Gold and lead would both be ideal from a thermodynamic standpoint, but are obviously not practical (cost) or suitable (lead poisoning).
    Gold nugget whiskey stones...now that's an idea. Someone get to it. Chop chop!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The problem is that nothing can come close to melting ice for thermal energy absorption.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_fusion

Basically, one gram of ice (at 32F) melting into water (also at 32F) will absorb 333 Joules of thermal energy.
    Titanium (like stone) will not undergo a phase change, therefore you're solely relying on specific heat, which is .523 J/g[SUP]o[/SUP]C (roughly an eighth of water and one quarter of ice).

So, how much titanium is required to achieve the same cooling as a ice cube of 10 grams? About seven kilograms.*Better get a bigger glass. And the cost would be around $500 I would guess.

Want bullets for your drink? Get this.

* This is based on a block of titanium at 31F and an ice cube at 32F and only looks at the cooling power of the ice melting and not the change in temperature of the ice or water. Because, if you did look at those things, the situation looks far worse for the stones. Both ice and water have far superior specific heats even if you did ignore the heat of fusion.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Actually, gold has a about one quarter the specific heat of stainless steel and titanium (per gram). The density difference can't compensate for that.

Aluminum will be your best bet if you want metal.

Apparently, the whiskey stones, soapstone, has a specific heat of 0.98 J/g[SUP]o[/SUP]C, in other words, twice as efficient as steel for the given task.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

What would your MeeMaw say if she knew? Heh

I have some Bulleit rye here. And some bitters. And some marichino cherries...

Old Fashioned, anyone?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The problem is that nothing can come close to melting ice for thermal energy absorption.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_fusion

Basically, one gram of ice (at 32F) melting into water (also at 32F) will absorb 333 Joules of thermal energy.
    Titanium (like stone) will not undergo a phase change, therefore you're solely relying on specific heat, which is .523 J/g[SUP]o[/SUP]C (roughly an eighth of water and one quarter of ice).

So, how much titanium is required to achieve the same cooling as a ice cube of 10 grams? About seven kilograms.*Better get a bigger glass. And the cost would be around $500 I would guess.

Want bullets for your drink? Get this.

* This is based on a block of titanium at 31F and an ice cube at 32F and only looks at the cooling power of the ice melting and not the change in temperature of the ice or water. Because, if you did look at those things, the situation looks far worse for the stones. Both ice and water have far superior specific heats even if you did ignore the heat of fusion.

After reading the wiki I seriously need a drink of the hard stuff. I remember why I hated Chem now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What would your MeeMaw say if she knew? Heh

I have some Bulleit rye here. And some bitters. And some marichino cherries...

Old Fashioned, anyone?

:rockwoot:

My wife's cocktail is a brandy old fashion. (An affect of too many trips to WI)

My go-to is a Manhattan, usually, Bulleit or Old Overholt.

Sadly, I doubt my Grandmother would approve or imbibe. I do not approve the mixing of good bourbon and fruit.
    Well, you should be OK with this; it's rye whiskey, not bourbon.

And the surest way to fully appreciate 'someone' is to know it both alone and with others.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom