• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Pardon my ignorance on this. After reading a recent news article about a house fire during which the firefights had to dodge bullets that were stored in the garage, I wondered about how bullets react in fire. Do they actually "fire" (the lead exits the brass) or do they explode sending shrapnel everywhere?

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    There's been a few good posts on here regarding that, there was a youtube video showing the tests done by a fire dept, and Mythbusters covered it as well.

Any rounds not in a chamber: Brass flies off the lead, lead stays put, barely enough force to dent some drywall.

If a round is chambered it will fire as a normal round when cooked off.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    There's been a few good posts on here regarding that, there was a youtube video showing the tests done by a fire dept, and Mythbusters covered it as well.

Any rounds not in a chamber: Brass flies off the lead, lead stays put, barely enough force to dent some drywall.

If a round is chambered it will fire as a normal round when cooked off.
    Thanks for your response. I'll look for the other threads.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I saw the same article. And they made it seem as though bullets were flying everywhere like a ware zone. It would have been no threat to the fire fighters.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I saw the same article. And they made it seem as though bullets were flying everywhere like a ware zone. It would have been no threat to the fire fighters.

Well normally no threat however, how many here have a nightstand gun etc with a loaded chamber? Don't really answer that but if so there is at least 1 round that when cooked off could leave a mark!

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Ammunition in a fire link

This video link was shared at work (fire dept.) regarding ammunition in a fire situation. I think it is well done and pretty informative! Obviously if there is a round in a chamber... it will fire as if you pulled the trigger.

SAAMI

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This post was changed because it is the same as ^^^^^ABOVE^^^^^^. Post at the same time.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This video link was shared at work (fire dept.) regarding ammunition in a fire situation. I think it is well done and pretty informative! Obviously if there is a round in a chamber... it will fire as if you pulled the trigger.

SAAMI

Fairly long video (26 min), but very good info. Bottom line, cartridges are amazingly safe to deal with from a firefighter perspective. They really ran a lot of scenarios (shooting at ammo, dropping, crushing, fires) to check out different possibilities. Even in the worst cases, the fire fighters could approach fairly close with a hose and the low-energy shrapnel could not penetrate their suits.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013

SAAMI

Darn you...25 minutes of footage that I just couldn't look away from. Guess the shoveling of snow can wait until tomorrow morning.

Thanks for that really informative video link! I'd never seen that before :D

-Rhino12

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I was on IFD for over 30 years and never heard of anyone being injured from exploding ammunition until about the time I retired.

A guy who shall remain nameless was shot by a round in a house fire. This happened on the west side of Indianapolis. As several people stated before, if the round is in a chamber it will act as a chambered round.

BTW, this is my 50th post. The lid's off baby!!!!

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    USAF64, thanks for your years of service at IFD. I've got 24 yrs. in and plan on 8 more to max the pension. :)

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was on IFD for over 30 years and never heard of anyone being injured from exploding ammunition until about the time I retired.

A guy who shall remain nameless was shot by a round in a house fire. This happened on the west side of Indianapolis. As several people stated before, if the round is in a chamber it will act as a chambered round.

BTW, this is my 50th post. The lid's off baby!!!!

Welcome aboard Brother !!:patriot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's the trick. No containment, no real explosion. More of a "slow-burn". Contain any explosion and you multiply it exponentially.

I watched some old English guy (crazy old fart) using water to make shaped charges around det. cord. He was doing work for law enforcement and military applications.

He used a plastic man-shaped target with a channel molded into the back of it. He filled the channel with det. cord, and filled the plastic target with water.
    Next he stood this plastic target against a concrete block wall, and leaned a stick against it to hold it upright.
    Hooked up the wires, stretched them back behind a ballistic wall, and set it off.

The results was a man-shaped and sized hole blown cleanly through the concrete wall.
    Contain the charge and...BOOM!

Top Bottom