• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Recently I purchased 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo from a national dealer. These were once reloads. Today I found 10 rounds from 2 different boxes that have the bullets set too deep into the casings. Some as much as 1/8 inch. The other rounds have the bullet expose 3/8 inch.

My questions are, is this a safety problem due to over pressure or some other issue? Also I have been having failure to feed and some stove pipes. I suspect the ammo now since I have never had these issues with the Glock 34.

Opinions?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Deep seating a bullet by 1/8" - 0.125" is significant. I wouldn't shoot those. There could be several things going on here.

First, perhaps there are different bullet types. Some 115gn 9mm bullets have longer noses than others. So it may appear that they are deep seated when they are not. You'd need to pull a round of the "short" ammo and compare it to a round of the "long" ammo.

Second, they could have been damaged in shipping. If someone crushed the box, they may have pushed some of the bullets in too deep. It's much like chambering a round a few times. It will change the OAL.

Stovepiping generally occurs when the charge is too low, not the pressure is too high. The extractor will catch the back end of the brass, but the slide isn't going completely out of battery, so the brass isn't ejected completely before the slide returns forward. That's a problem with the powder measurement.

FTF issues can be linked to the overall length, be it too short OR too long.

The honest answer is that I wouldn't shoot that ammo. If they are too deep, 0.125" can cause a significant pressure increase in 9mm casings. If the powder measurement is wrong, that can be unsafe in either direction. Best to just return it or contact the manufacturer.

Sad thing is though...unless its a small ammunition company, I wouldn't hold your breath for them to compensate you.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear what Aszerigan says about compensation. I sent a email today with photo of the problem. We'll see what/if they reply.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I have contacted USA Ammo however so far no reply.
    Here is an image of the problem. You can see rounds in the holder are problems as well.....

picture.php

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That sucks! One-thousand rounds of that?! I hope they are willing to make it right. If not, just pull the bullets and reload them at the right OAL.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It looks like they have no neck tension. A 9mm reload should have a "bottle" shape.

That is some sad looking crap.

Actually, with no neck tension and no taper crimp, I wouldn't worry too much about over pressure. I would worry more that the bullet will fall out of the case. I'll bet if you shake them, the bullet will move forward?

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Every time someone posts a photo of some factory ammo they bought that was assembled by idiots I am so thankful I haven't had to buy any for 20 years now. C'mon people, loading ammo properly isn't that hard. Whoever is in control of quality control at that loading operation has no idea what he's doing. And we're starting to see this MUCH MORE than I've ever seen it in my life. Be careful guys, measure everything and don't assume anything. Rounds that like that loaded into a semi auto with less than complete case support (you know the one) and things can get really ugly really fast. 20 years ago almost all of the guys blowing up guns were the .38 Super/9x23 IPSC open gun freaks with handloads that were not found in any manual. Now you can do it with off the shelf ammo.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    DO NOT SHOOT!!!

Do not shoot those short loads--Those cases were not properly sized, and as been said, lack the proper case tension.
    Those "short" loads will definitely be over pressured loads==MAY==blow a gun--Glock or NOT!!
    I would ask the Mfg. of those loads if they would like your Attorney call them-BEFORE-or-AFTER you fired these loads==I am sure that you WILL get their attention then..Bill.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    And we're starting to see this MUCH MORE than I've ever seen it in my life.
    There are just more avenues for people to report it now with the internet, forums, message boards, etc. I doubt that the defect rate is increasing as much. It's just that you now hear about more instances due to ability to report it.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    It looks like they have no neck tension. A 9mm reload should have a "bottle" shape.

That is some sad looking crap.

Actually, with no neck tension and no taper crimp, I wouldn't worry too much about over pressure. I would worry more that the bullet will fall out of the case. I'll bet if you shake them, the bullet will move forward?

I discovered them at the range. A fellow there had a caliper but could not remove the bullet.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    If the ammo looks that bad from the outside who knows if they even have the right charge in any of them. I would not shot ANY of that ammo.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    After 3 days with no reply to my email I called USA Ammo today. They said they could not find any such email. However I was also told " We will get a remedy for this issue." Time will tell.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Did you pay with a credit card? If you did you can work with them to get you a credit issued for faulty and dangerous merchandise.

I have had to do this a couple of times, when I have bought something from a deadbeat company.

louielouie

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Did any of the boxes look like they had been dropped? Could they have been shipped, stored, or handled poorly causing them to get compressed? It doesn't change anything, I would still proceed with bringing it up with the manufacturer but I'm curious how they were packaged.
    I've received a bag of loose .223 before that were banged up so bad they wobbled when you rolled them across the table.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oading/43483-centurion_223_bullet_wobble.html

Top Bottom