Bump in the night...where's your firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where is your firearm?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    Ace Ventura, (chezuki)

I didn't complain at all. I wanted people to use the poll for what I posted it for, not to comment only like you did. You answered my question. All I was saying is you should vote...arms reach or not? As a former Army Vet, I don't feet comfortable without something I could wake up and use to react with. I'm really not looking for an argument, I just want to know what is the best thing to do. I really am sorry that I didn't add the 5th option on the poll about a bookcase. I think you get the idea. You're not stupid.

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Are criminals in your area known to send in a pair of aggressive homing pigeons prior to the actual home invasion?

I'm in an apartment, I've read and seen how birdshot is effective in my situation so I don't blow through the walls and hit a neighbor kid

Also first 2 shots will be an attempt to stop the perp, yeah 2 shots maybe 2 to many to stop someone, but I wanna make an attempt before I actually kill someone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have at least one gun at arms reach in the master bed and another concealed in a drop ceiling in the lower level as we often watch movies and such downstairs.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm in an apartment, I've read and seen how birdshot is effective in my situation so I don't blow through the walls and hit a neighbor kid

Also first 2 shots will be an attempt to stop the perp, yeah 2 shots maybe 2 to many to stop someone, but I wanna make an attempt before I actually kill someone

Yeah, apartments are a tough situation for HD. If you live on the ground floor you can limit risk by using downward angles. The fact of the matter is that anything that will consistently penetrate tissue deep enough to stop an attacker is also going to punch right through drywall.

I'm of the philosophy that if a threat warrants deadly force, I want to stop it as immediately as possible. I don't want to take the time to start small and work my way up until the threat stops.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I feel the same way 46321 and newdumdum9825...I want to make sure I am being safe, but also protecting my home...it seems like there isn't really a correct answer as long as you keep the weapon safe, but also be able to get to it when you need to.

Good things to keep in mind. But also keep in mind that protecting your family and your home may require some very damaging first shot hits on a perp that quickly incapacitate.

Well placed birdshot at close range can do that, but won't be as effective as well placed 00 buck (penetration being the primary concern).

Both are 100% ineffective if they miss, although there may be a small % of perps that will retreat upon the initial shot fired and the subsequent rack of the action.

Not being critical of the decision, rather offering up then age old analogy that a well placed shot from a .22 pistol is better than a miss form a 45ACP. IF we do chose to keep a firearm near our bed for self and home defense, we better know that we can hit what we are shooting at.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I feel the same way 46321 and newdumdum9825...I want to make sure I am being safe, but also protecting my home...it seems like there isn't really a correct answer as long as you keep the weapon safe, but also be able to get to it when you need to.

When not sleeping of course, not much is safer or faster to get to than a holstered gun on your hip. If someone kicked in my door the only better place for a firearm I can think of would be in my hand.

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN

It all changes depending on budget, what ya have, your kids, even where you live

Best thing I found to do is train with my pump shotgun (unloaded of course) for the event of tripping in the dark... Workin a pump from the floor takes some work

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Yeah, apartments are a tough situation for HD. If you live on the ground floor you can limit risk by using downward angles. The fact of the matter is that anything that will consistently penetrate tissue deep enough to stop an attacker is also going to punch right through drywall.

I'm of the philosophy that if a threat warrants deadly force, I want to stop it as immediately as possible. I don't want to take the time to start small and work my way up until the threat stops.

I have kids below and kids next door so I have to play it a lil safer

I've seen vids on how birdshot hardly penetrates the second layer of drywall

But buck destroys the wall

If I was in a house buck would be my only choice for HD in a shotgun

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    I didn't post this poll to find out what to do without a weapon to use. It is really about what is the safest place to keep your home defense weapon in the home as you sleep day to day. It's an anonymous poll. I just wanted to see if anyone else is doing the same as I am. I really do appreciate all the comments, even the negative ones. Criticism is better than no comment at all.

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    I didn't post this poll to find out what to do without a weapon to use. It is really about what is the safest place to keep your home defense weapon in the home as you sleep day to day. It's an anonymous poll. I just wanted to see if anyone else is doing the same as I am. I really do appreciate all the comments, even the negative ones. Criticism is better than no comment at all.

I appreciate it to

It's giving me pointers

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Do you have kids? Do you have a roommate? House or apartment?

Bunch of reasons why one person has it on the nightstand versus dresser, etc. So trying to see if everyone else does it like you doesn't really work.

When my son spends the night at mamaw's it goes on the nightstand. When he is home it gets put on the shelf in the closet with the door left open which is 3 feet from the bed.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Who sleeps next to their bed? Lol

I've only been married for less than a year, so don't worry I've got plenty of time to find out.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Within a foot of my head ,next to my bed. I also like the drill with the pump gun. Never even considered tripping and trying to fire. Excellent idea.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I voted on the dresser, but it's actually on the nightstand a foot and a half from my head. But I don't have kids in the house. When the kids were young and at home I kept my guns out of sight, but where I could get to them easily.

Top Bottom